    the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now I have
    to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.

    Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    Neck & Red, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Neck & Red

    Jason L © Guest

    "Neck & Red" <> wrote in message
    news:l0N%g.19024$...
    > So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    > in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now I
    > have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    >
    > Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>

    This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
    middle mouse button over them.
    Hope this helps!

    Jason L ©, Oct 25, 2006

  3. On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <> wrote:

    > So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    > in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
    > I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    >
    > Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
    right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
    set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.

    Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.
    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Neck & Red

    Jim S Guest

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, Jason L © wrote:

    > "Neck & Red" <> wrote in message
    >> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    >> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now I
    >> have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    >>
    >> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?
    >>

    > OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>
    >
    > This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
    > middle mouse button over them.
    > Hope this helps!

    Use tabbrowser preferences extension 1.0.3 (new today) to re-instate it.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Neck & Red

    Ed Mullen Guest

    FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <> wrote:
    >
    >> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    >> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
    >> I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    >>
    >> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    > I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
    > right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
    > set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.
    >
    > Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.

    My own preference is provided by Tabbrowser Extensions:

    middle-click on a tab to close it
    double-click on a tab to close it
    double-click on the tab bar to open a new tab

    Don't have find a button at all. ymmv

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 25, 2006
  6. Neck & Red

    Neck & Red Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, Jason L © wrote:
    >
    >> "Neck & Red" <> wrote in message
    >>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    >>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
    >>> have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?
    >>>

    >> OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons"
    >> <NOWHERE>
    >>
    >> This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
    >> middle mouse button over them.
    >> Hope this helps!

    > Use tabbrowser preferences extension 1.0.3 (new today) to re-instate it.

    Thanks dudes, I'm liking this much better now :)

    Neck & Red, Oct 25, 2006
  7. On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, "Jason L ©" <> wrote:

    > "Neck & Red" <> wrote in message
    > > So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    > > in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
    > > I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    > >
    > > Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    > OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>
    >
    > This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
    > middle mouse button over them.
    > Hope this helps!

    Not here. Those options do not exist in Firefox 2.0, even in safe mode.

    When I go to "options" and select "tabs", I see only the following:

    New pages should be opened in:
    ( ) a new window
    (*) a new tab

    [x] Warn me when closing multiple tabs
    [x] Warn me when opening multiple tabs might slow down Firefox
    [x] Always show the tab bar
    [ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately

    That is it. There are no other tab options in Firefox 2.0. This is on a
    Win98se system, if that makes any difference. Having to get my mouse onto
    those tiny close buttons to close multiple tabs is really annoying as I
    don't have very good dexterity with a mouse. I also can't use a middle
    button to close them, because that is what I use for magnifying an area of
    my screen, which I need a lot more. Many things on line are way too small
    for me to see without magnification.

    So, how do I get the missing tab options - without an extension - so it
    will act as it did in Firefox 1.5.x?

    There are many other little options missing, like load images only if they
    are on the same server, and the ability to dump that green go button to the
    right of the location bar. I like to move my location bar and navigation
    buttons to the menu bar to save as much vertical space as possible. That
    green go button take up valuable horizontal space and offers nothing that
    my enter key doesn't already do, so I want to dump it. Firefox used to be
    very configurable, even without extensions. Now it is blocking me from
    customizing it the way I want.
    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Oct 25, 2006
  8. FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, "Jason L ©" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Neck & Red" <> wrote in message
    >>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    >>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
    >>> I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    >> OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>
    >>
    >> This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
    >> middle mouse button over them.
    >> Hope this helps!

    > Not here. Those options do not exist in Firefox 2.0, even in safe mode.
    >
    > When I go to "options" and select "tabs", I see only the following:
    >

    > New pages should be opened in:
    > ( ) a new window
    > (*) a new tab
    >
    > [x] Warn me when closing multiple tabs
    > [x] Warn me when opening multiple tabs might slow down Firefox
    > [x] Always show the tab bar
    > [ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately
    >

    > That is it. There are no other tab options in Firefox 2.0. This is on a
    > Win98se system, if that makes any difference. Having to get my mouse onto
    > those tiny close buttons to close multiple tabs is really annoying as I
    > don't have very good dexterity with a mouse. I also can't use a middle
    > button to close them, because that is what I use for magnifying an area of
    > my screen, which I need a lot more. Many things on line are way too small
    > for me to see without magnification.
    >
    > So, how do I get the missing tab options - without an extension - so it
    > will act as it did in Firefox 1.5.x?
    >
    > There are many other little options missing, like load images only if they
    > are on the same server, and the ability to dump that green go button to the
    > right of the location bar. I like to move my location bar and navigation
    > buttons to the menu bar to save as much vertical space as possible. That
    > green go button take up valuable horizontal space and offers nothing that
    > my enter key doesn't already do, so I want to dump it. Firefox used to be
    > very configurable, even without extensions. Now it is blocking me from
    > customizing it the way I want.

    I have the same options as you. I suspect the others cited are inserted
    by an extension. Tab Mix Plus should be updated by the weekend, and will
    solve all this. If you want there is an RC of TNP available:

    http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 26, 2006
  9. On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:58:55 -0400, FoxWolfie Galen
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <> wrote:
    >
    > > So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    > > in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
    > > I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    > >
    > > Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    > I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
    > right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
    > set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.
    >
    > Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.

    I found my own answer to the tab close problem. To remove the close tab
    buttons from every tab, and have a single close tab button at the far right
    like 1.5 did, do the following:

    Type about:config into the location bar.
    Search for the browser.tabs.closeButtons line.
    Set the integer value to 3.

    It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my needs.
    They just removed more choices from the options menu so people need to look
    harder to make certain changes.

    FoxWolfie Galen, Oct 26, 2006
  10. On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:41:06 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > I have the same options as you. I suspect the others cited are inserted
    > by an extension. Tab Mix Plus should be updated by the weekend, and will
    > solve all this. If you want there is an RC of TNP available:
    >
    > http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853

    Thanks. After google searching for a while, I managed to find about:config
    options for almost everything I wanted. These links helped with not only
    the tabs, but a few other things:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.tabClipWidth

    FoxWolfie Galen, Oct 26, 2006
  11. FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:58:55 -0400, FoxWolfie Galen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
    >>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
    >>> I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

    >> I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
    >> right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
    >> set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.
    >>
    >> Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.

    > I found my own answer to the tab close problem. To remove the close tab
    > buttons from every tab, and have a single close tab button at the far right
    > like 1.5 did, do the following:
    >
    > Type about:config into the location bar.
    > Search for the browser.tabs.closeButtons line.
    > Set the integer value to 3.
    >
    > It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my needs.
    > They just removed more choices from the options menu so people need to look
    > harder to make certain changes.

    This issue goes back to Netscape days, when the Edit>>Preferences dialog
    was deemed too bloated and confusing for users.

    I dunno, never confused me.

    Still, the effort by FF devs have always been to keep preferences
    (options) lean and clean is a laudable one. If everyones needed pref was
    accessible from options, it would be a mess.

    That being said, I agree, this should be configurable in options. The
    devs will say it should be via extension, and it will be. Still......

    lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 26, 2006
  12. On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:26:34 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > > It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my
    > > needs. They just removed more choices from the options menu so people
    > > need to look harder to make certain changes.

    > This issue goes back to Netscape days, when the Edit>>Preferences dialog
    > was deemed too bloated and confusing for users.
    >
    > I dunno, never confused me.
    >
    > Still, the effort by FF devs have always been to keep preferences
    > (options) lean and clean is a laudable one. If everyones needed pref was
    > accessible from options, it would be a mess.
    >
    > That being said, I agree, this should be configurable in options. The
    > devs will say it should be via extension, and it will be. Still......

    After looking through all the google links related to the tab changes in
    Firefox 2.0, it appears to be a very personal preference and controversial
    change. It's hard to be sure, but it appears that about 75 percent seem to
    want it the way it was in 1.5.x. This could be just because those are the
    ones who feel the need to say something though. In any case, when something
    is this important to so many people, it should be a configuration option.

    Comparing both versions of Firefox, I'm noticing a fair amount of options
    that were just plain removed, but they are still changeable using
    about:config. I don't think it's a good direction for them to be going.
    Ideally, there would be a checkbox for advanced options. If that is
    checked, almost everything within reason could be available to configure.
    Otherwise, the user gets a simple uncluttered configuration screen - which
    could be the default. That would benefit almost everyone.

    I've never been confused by more options, though some entry values in
    about:config aren't so easy to guess. Google easily answers most questions,
    but users shouldn't need to do that. I'm one of those people who likes to
    tweak Firefox myself, and avoid the need for many extensions. The browser
    tends to load faster and remain more stable that way. :)

    FoxWolfie Galen, Oct 26, 2006
  13. FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:26:34 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >>> It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my
    >>> needs. They just removed more choices from the options menu so people
    >>> need to look harder to make certain changes.

    >> This issue goes back to Netscape days, when the Edit>>Preferences dialog
    >> was deemed too bloated and confusing for users.
    >>
    >> I dunno, never confused me.
    >>
    >> Still, the effort by FF devs have always been to keep preferences
    >> (options) lean and clean is a laudable one. If everyones needed pref was
    >> accessible from options, it would be a mess.
    >>
    >> That being said, I agree, this should be configurable in options. The
    >> devs will say it should be via extension, and it will be. Still......

    > After looking through all the google links related to the tab changes in
    > Firefox 2.0, it appears to be a very personal preference and controversial
    > change. It's hard to be sure, but it appears that about 75 percent seem to
    > want it the way it was in 1.5.x. This could be just because those are the
    > ones who feel the need to say something though. In any case, when something
    > is this important to so many people, it should be a configuration option.
    >
    > Comparing both versions of Firefox, I'm noticing a fair amount of options
    > that were just plain removed, but they are still changeable using
    > about:config. I don't think it's a good direction for them to be going.
    > Ideally, there would be a checkbox for advanced options. If that is
    > checked, almost everything within reason could be available to configure.
    > Otherwise, the user gets a simple uncluttered configuration screen - which
    > could be the default. That would benefit almost everyone.
    >
    > I've never been confused by more options, though some entry values in
    > about:config aren't so easy to guess. Google easily answers most questions,
    > but users shouldn't need to do that. I'm one of those people who likes to
    > tweak Firefox myself, and avoid the need for many extensions. The browser
    > tends to load faster and remain more stable that way. :)

    Well, I can report from doing Mozilla support, that one of the most
    frequently asked questions was how to put close boxes in tabs. There
    have been several extensions written to add this in.

    So the devs add it in. They tried to respond to user requests. Now thisT

    Again, I think the main problem is not putting in a UI to change it.
    T'would have been nice. But I am not a developer, only a lowly support
    person.

    At the least, it is easily changed from about:config. Lets see what
    happens in future releases.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 26, 2006
  14. Another thing I don't like about 2.0 is that (unless I've missed something),
    it will only display one row of tabs at a time, instead of the max of 3 rows
    like in the ff 1.5x - this bugs me, as I usually have around 2 rows of tabs
    up most of the time, and now the beginning tabs remain out of sight - I hate
    having to go back to the little drop-down feature to see them - is there any
    way to get FF 2.0 to display two or three rows of tabs?

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Oct 26, 2006
  15. Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    > Another thing I don't like about 2.0 is that (unless I've missed something),
    > it will only display one row of tabs at a time, instead of the max of 3 rows
    > like in the ff 1.5x - this bugs me, as I usually have around 2 rows of tabs
    > up most of the time, and now the beginning tabs remain out of sight - I hate
    > having to go back to the little drop-down feature to see them - is there any
    > way to get FF 2.0 to display two or three rows of tabs?
    >
    >> I have the same options as you. I suspect the others cited are inserted
    >> by an extension. Tab Mix Plus should be updated by the weekend, and will
    >> solve all this. If you want there is an RC of TNP available:
    >>
    >> http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853
    >>
    >> Lee

    Either wait for the Tab Mix Plus extension to be updated, hopefully
    soon, or try the RC version:

    http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3515

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 26, 2006