    What do they mean please? I've looked in Contents and Index, but there is
    nothing for tabs. Should I click "close" please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Geopelia

    impossible Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:fak2ig$eau$...
    >A box comes up asking if I want to close all tabs, when I try to close a
    >website. This has only been happening since the shop added some memory.
    >
    > What do they mean please? I've looked in Contents and Index, but there is
    > nothing for tabs. Should I click "close" please?

    Sounds like you're using Internet Explorer 7 -- if this is news to do, then
    I'd say the shop did a bit more than add some memory to your machine. In any
    case, IE7 works differently than IE6, because with IE7 you can have
    multiple web sites open in a single IE window -- each in its own tab. This
    takes a little getting used to. Previously, you'd exit a single site by
    exiting an IE Window, but in IE7 exiting a window means closing all the
    sites on all the tabs in that window -- the dialog box you saw then pops up
    by default to confirm that this is really what you intended to happen. To
    customize the way tabbed browsing works in IE7, including whether or not you
    get these kind of warnings, go Tools | Internet Options, select the
    "General" tab, and then click on Tabs...Settings.
    impossible, Aug 23, 2007

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>A box comes up asking if I want to close all tabs, when I try to close a
    >>website. This has only been happening since the shop added some memory.
    >>
    >> What do they mean please? I've looked in Contents and Index, but there is
    >> nothing for tabs. Should I click "close" please?
    >>

    > Sounds like you're using Internet Explorer 7 -- if this is news to do,
    > then I'd say the shop did a bit more than add some memory to your machine.
    > In any case, IE7 works differently than IE6, because with IE7 you can
    > have multiple web sites open in a single IE window -- each in its own tab.
    > This takes a little getting used to. Previously, you'd exit a single site
    > by exiting an IE Window, but in IE7 exiting a window means closing all the
    > sites on all the tabs in that window -- the dialog box you saw then pops
    > up by default to confirm that this is really what you intended to happen.
    > To customize the way tabbed browsing works in IE7, including whether or
    > not you get these kind of warnings, go Tools | Internet Options, select
    > the "General" tab, and then click on Tabs...Settings.

    Thank you. It seems I have IE6, although I had IE7 when the computer went to
    the shop.
    I had a look at the tabs settings but didn't change any.

    I think it should be safe to just click "close" when I get the box, from
    what you say.

    Your help is much appreciated.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Geopelia

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>A box comes up asking if I want to close all tabs, when I try to close a
    >>>website. This has only been happening since the shop added some memory.
    >>>
    >>> What do they mean please? I've looked in Contents and Index, but there
    >>> is nothing for tabs. Should I click "close" please?
    >>>

    >> Sounds like you're using Internet Explorer 7 -- if this is news to do,
    >> then I'd say the shop did a bit more than add some memory to your
    >> machine. In any case, IE7 works differently than IE6, because with IE7
    >> you can have multiple web sites open in a single IE window -- each in its
    >> own tab. This takes a little getting used to. Previously, you'd exit a
    >> single site by exiting an IE Window, but in IE7 exiting a window means
    >> closing all the sites on all the tabs in that window -- the dialog box
    >> you saw then pops up by default to confirm that this is really what you
    >> intended to happen. To customize the way tabbed browsing works in IE7,
    >> including whether or not you get these kind of warnings, go Tools |
    >> Internet Options, select the "General" tab, and then click on
    >> Tabs...Settings.
    >>

    > Thank you. It seems I have IE6, although I had IE7 when the computer went
    > to the shop.
    > I had a look at the tabs settings but didn't change any.
    >
    > I think it should be safe to just click "close" when I get the box, from
    > what you say.
    >
    > Your help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Geopelia

    If your getting tabbed browsing in Internet explorer, then you have Internet
    explorer 7, Geo. If you've finished your browsing session, then just hit
    "close all tabs". I think this is just to remind you that you have all the
    other windows open in different tabs as well, in case you are only trying to
    close one of them. Each tab can be closed individually by clicking the X at
    the top right of each tab. Another feature I use is having two home pages.
    When I open IE, I get NZherald page in one tab and Google in another.
    Tony in Oz, Aug 24, 2007
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like you're using Internet Explorer 7 -- if this is news to do,
    >>> then I'd say the shop did a bit more than add some memory to your
    >>> machine. In any case, IE7 works differently than IE6, because with IE7
    >>> you can have multiple web sites open in a single IE window -- each in
    >>> its own tab. This takes a little getting used to. Previously, you'd exit
    >>> a single site by exiting an IE Window, but in IE7 exiting a window means
    >>> closing all the sites on all the tabs in that window -- the dialog box
    >>> you saw then pops up by default to confirm that this is really what you
    >>> intended to happen. To customize the way tabbed browsing works in IE7,
    >>> including whether or not you get these kind of warnings, go Tools |
    >>> Internet Options, select the "General" tab, and then click on
    >>> Tabs...Settings.
    >>>

    >> Thank you. It seems I have IE6, although I had IE7 when the computer went
    >> to the shop.
    >> I had a look at the tabs settings but didn't change any.
    >>
    >> I think it should be safe to just click "close" when I get the box, from
    >> what you say.
    >>
    >> Your help is much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > If your getting tabbed browsing in Internet explorer, then you have
    > Internet explorer 7, Geo. If you've finished your browsing session, then
    > just hit "close all tabs". I think this is just to remind you that you
    > have all the other windows open in different tabs as well, in case you are
    > only trying to close one of them. Each tab can be closed individually by
    > clicking the X at the top right of each tab. Another feature I use is
    > having two home pages. When I open IE, I get NZherald page in one tab and
    > Google in another.

    That's a puzzle. If I click "About Microsoft Outlook Express" it tells me I
    have 6, not 7.

    But not to worry, I'll just click Close.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 24, 2007
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like you're using Internet Explorer 7 -- if this is news to do,
    >>> then I'd say the shop did a bit more than add some memory to your
    >>> machine. In any case, IE7 works differently than IE6, because with IE7
    >>> you can have multiple web sites open in a single IE window -- each in
    >>> its own tab. This takes a little getting used to. Previously, you'd exit
    >>> a single site by exiting an IE Window, but in IE7 exiting a window means
    >>> closing all the sites on all the tabs in that window -- the dialog box
    >>> you saw then pops up by default to confirm that this is really what you
    >>> intended to happen. To customize the way tabbed browsing works in IE7,
    >>> including whether or not you get these kind of warnings, go Tools |
    >>> Internet Options, select the "General" tab, and then click on
    >>> Tabs...Settings.
    >>>

    >> Thank you. It seems I have IE6, although I had IE7 when the computer went
    >> to the shop.
    >> I had a look at the tabs settings but didn't change any.
    >>
    >> I think it should be safe to just click "close" when I get the box, from
    >> what you say.
    >>
    >> Your help is much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>

    > If your getting tabbed browsing in Internet explorer, then you have
    > Internet explorer 7, Geo. If you've finished your browsing session, then
    > just hit "close all tabs". I think this is just to remind you that you
    > have all the other windows open in different tabs as well, in case you are
    > only trying to close one of them. Each tab can be closed individually by
    > clicking the X at the top right of each tab. Another feature I use is
    > having two home pages. When I open IE, I get NZherald page in one tab and
    > Google in another.

    Please ignore my last post, it seems I have Outlook Express 6, and as you
    say, maybe Internet Explorer 7 with the tabs. This is very confusing.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 24, 2007
  7. Geopelia

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "impossible" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you. It seems I have IE6, although I had IE7 when the computer
    >>> went to the shop.
    >>> I had a look at the tabs settings but didn't change any.
    >>>
    >>> I think it should be safe to just click "close" when I get the box, from
    >>> what you say.
    >>>
    >>> Your help is much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>

    >> If your getting tabbed browsing in Internet explorer, then you have
    >> Internet explorer 7, Geo. If you've finished your browsing session, then
    >> just hit "close all tabs". I think this is just to remind you that you
    >> have all the other windows open in different tabs as well, in case you
    >> are only trying to close one of them. Each tab can be closed individually
    >> by clicking the X at the top right of each tab. Another feature I use is
    >> having two home pages. When I open IE, I get NZherald page in one tab and
    >> Google in another.
    >>

    > That's a puzzle. If I click "About Microsoft Outlook Express" it tells me
    > I have 6, not 7.
    >
    > But not to worry, I'll just click Close.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Hi Geo, there's some misunderstanding going on on someones part here. if you
    are running the latest version of Outlook Express (that's the E-mail
    program) it should be version 6. The latest version of Internet Explorer
    (thats the internet browser) it should be version 7. Thats the one that has
    the "close all tabs" box when you try and close it.
    No worries. cheers Tony
    Tony in Oz, Aug 24, 2007
  8. Geopelia

    Tony in Oz Guest