Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by R. Giggs., Nov 7, 2012.

  1. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >
    > <<some snip>>
    >>
    >> OK sorry about that, but I will mention it now!!! (if I can remember/find
    >> it!!)
    >>
    >> My system
    >>
    >> HP Pavilion a1307.uk Desktop PC
    >>
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...c=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=1839474&lang=en#N25
    >>

    >> Mobo specificiation:-
    >>
    >> http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/oem/hp/manual/amethystM_manual.pdf
    >>

    >> There is a very INTERESTING STATEMENT in there:-
    >> Please note that users cannot install OS, either WinME or Win98,
    >>
    >> in their SATA hard drives. Under these two OSs, SATA can only be
    >>
    >> used as an ordinary storage device.
    >>
    >> OK that does not mention XP so perhaps not as interesting as I thought!!!
    >>

    > That's interesting.
    >
    > Your Southbridge (the part that connects to disks) is SB400.
    > Without a heatsink on it, you might see "IXP400" printed on top.
    >
    > I cannot find a block diagram. (Not the official kind AMD
    > has provided for other chips.)
    >
    > And I think I can see a potential reason (conspiracy theory).
    > The chip may have made use of third-party IP blocks (and,
    > more than one of them, as the USB implementation in that
    > chip is inferior).
    >
    > The SB400 seems to support two IDE connectors (four drives)
    > and four SATA connectors (four more drives). Not all motherboards
    > solder four SATA connectors on, to access those interfaces. One
    > laptop, didn't have any SATA connectors at all. So some designs
    > don't use the "max ports" available.
    >
    > In my searches, I ran into a reference to the usage of a
    > "SATA_SIL" Linux driver with the SB400. Now, normally, SIL would
    > mean SIL3112 or Silicon Image SIL3112 chip. The fact that
    > Linux driver works with SB400, implies ATI bought an intellectual
    > property block straight from Silicon Image, and put it in the
    > SB400. Since there are four SATA ports, there could be two
    > SIL3112 blocks present.
    >
    > The SIL3112 is SATA I (150MB/sec). I cannot find any references
    > to it not working with SATA II drives (a problem the VIA chips had).
    > But the BIOS code shipped with SIL3112 equipped boards, there was
    > a bug in there, where drives larger than 500GB or so, would cause
    > the BIOS to hang during boot. I don't think the cursor would even
    > flash,

    I am not 100% sure the cursor flashes, I'd have to take a closer look next
    time.

    > because the code is in a tight loop in the SIL module. For
    > the affected motherboards, if you connect a SATA drive larger than
    > 500GB (like a 750GB or 1TB) drive, the BIOS screen freezes before
    > the OS can boot.

    My BIOS seems to freeze at every oppertunity it gets ie as it did with
    the drive with the SMART errors, I think it shoudl perhaps have still booted
    despite the errors, but not 100% sure.

    > Silicon Image eventually issued a bug fix, but for motherboards,
    > it would be the responsibility of the motherboard maker to
    > incorporate a new code module into a release BIOS. On Asus
    > A7N8X motherboards, it took forever, before a newer module
    > of that sort was included. I think at least one person, was
    > hacking in their own code update, to speed up the process.

    There may be an update available for my BIOS but I certainly would not be
    attempting to install an update untill I have another machine to fall back
    on.
    I am very cautious when it comes to thing like that, which is perhas why I
    have not totally
    screwed my machine up yet, although I have came close to it a few time.
    Indeed just now using the other SATA port seemed to screw it up, it said
    new hard ware detected and gave me the hourglasss which never disapeared.
    I got round it by restarting explorer, I don't know if it will occur again
    now, but
    I can alway disconnect the SATA drive or go back to the other port. Anyhow
    it
    would not boot on that port/connector either.

    > Now, if the SB400 uses
    >
    > 1) Silicon Image IP blocks in hardware.
    > 2) It would be natural to use Silicon Image BIOS rom code for
    > Extended INT 0x13 boot code for the BIOS. This is the
    > code with the "large drive bug".
    > 3) The "chipset driver package", would include Silicon Image
    > RAID management code. For systems with enough of the
    > SATA ports soldered to the motherboard.
    >
    > If I look in http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids , I
    > see VEN/DEV for the SATA ports of SB400.
    >
    > 1002 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
    > 4379 IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller
    >
    > And using a driver file here, I see the following
    > in a SIL3112 package (file SI3112.inf). The first
    > entry is for vanilla SIL3112 add-on chip. (I got
    > SI3112.inf from file 3112A_x86_win_idvr-12057.zip
    > 104,771 bytes.)
    >
    > PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112.DeviceDesc="Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink
    > Controller"
    >
    > But in the same file I can find this. Which implies
    > the hardware inside the SB400 SATA, is very very similar
    > to the SIL3112. It also means, if you're aware of bugs
    > in SIL3112 stuff, they could also affect SB400.
    >
    > PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4379.DeviceDesc="ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller"
    >
    > From the same file...
    >
    > ; List of controller subsystem IDs to be supported by the SI3112.mpd
    > driver on
    > ; Windows 98/ME systems.
    >
    > which tells me that you might be able to get Win98 working
    > as well. (I've only got one SIL3112 here, and don't ask
    > me to dig out that motherboard, which is retired :)
    > I don't plan on any Win98 installs this week.)

    Just as well as I don't fancy using win98 again, far too unstable!!
    Although it would be better than nothing, but I expect it is less likelly to
    work than XP anyway.

    > *******
    >
    > In any case, this has nothing to do with the cloning problems.
    >
    > If you were able to copy the old drive to the new drive, then
    > a driver had to be present for that. If the cloning program
    > reboots the computer to do the copy, then the SATA driver
    > *could* be missing (since a "foreign" OS could be doing the
    > clone copy). If the clone operation is done "hot",
    > using Volume Shadow Service (VSS - macrium reflect does this),
    > then you might very well be effectively proving the SATA driver
    > is present.

    Good job you metioned that because I had that turned off, I have turned it
    back on now.

    > With the old disk booted, right now, go to Device Manager, and
    > have a look for
    >
    > "ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller"

    I can't find that, not too sure where to look for it.

    For the 500gb drive
    disk.sys
    partmgr.sys
    pssnap.sys

    on the ide ATA/ATAPI controler

    atapi.sys
    storpop.dll

    and on the PCI bit also:-

    pcide.sys
    pciidex.sys

    Apart from those there does not seem to be anything else related to the
    drives
    or their buses. No mention of SATA in there at all. Maybe it's done in the
    hardware, I really
    have little idea about how it works.

    For example it is not like this-

    http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/88629d1159705611/device-manager.png

    I don't have the line starting Intel etc...

    It's more lilke this

    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2209/idedevmanagerlz7.gif

    But with out the top 2 two sata lines, I just have 2 primary 2 secondary and
    2 2 standard duel channel PCI.

    So I don't really know what is going on there.
    But as I said I don't see why you could not have a chip or some hardware
    on the mobo to convert ide to sata.

    Any how on those entries I notice I seem to have a device on each of the
    primary channels in ultra dma mode 5 and one device on a secondary channel
    on ultra dma mode 2. I suspect the 3 are, my system drive, my DVD drive and
    the 500 gig drive perhaps.
    So I am thinking if I disconnect the SATA drive totally one of those devices
    will disappear
    where it says 'current transfer mode' as if there is nothing there there
    will not be a mode.

    So I can try that sometime.

    But anyhow all a bit confusing lol.

    Thanks!!

    R. Giggs., Nov 8, 2012

  2. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    > Any how on those entries I notice I seem to have a device on each of the
    > primary channels in ultra dma mode 5 and one device on a secondary channel
    > on ultra dma mode 2. I suspect the 3 are, my system drive, my DVD drive
    > and
    > the 500 gig drive perhaps.
    > So I am thinking if I disconnect the SATA drive totally one of those
    > devices will disappear
    > where it says 'current transfer mode' as if there is nothing there there
    > will not be a mode.
    >
    > So I can try that sometime.
    >
    > But anyhow all a bit confusing lol.

    Just remembered I have a UBS drive connected too just to confuse things!!
    R. Giggs., Nov 8, 2012

  3. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

> [...]

    >> that you can add to an MSDOS floppy, but they're not exactly
    >> convenient. LFS (long filename) is not supported, only 8.3
    >> shorthand for the NTFS file listings (useless for practical
    >> work).
    >>
    >> If you need to format a huge disk (2TB) to FAT32, there
    >> is the ridgecrop formatter. It does things, that the Microsoft
    >> one won't. While this page is covered in advertising (to pay for
    >> web site bandwidth), the actual files are here.
    >>
    >> http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/download/fat32format.zip
    >>
    >> http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/download/fat32formatsrc.zip (not
    >> essential)
    >>
    >> I only mention that, in case some day you happen to be running from
    >> MSDOS, and want an extremely large partition that MSDOS can
    >> read and write.
    >>
    >> *******
    >>
    >> It is possible to create a "bare, minimal" Linux OS, that fits in
    >> a relatively small space. The Reflect one (12MB), isn't the smallest
    >> possible. I think possibly DBAN had a smaller image, which seemed
    >> quite capable (had lots of storage drivers). When you get
    >> a 700MB Ubuntu disc, most of that is utilities and fancy GUI
    >> stuff. For fixed function boot discs, you can make the core
    >> quite tiny.
    >>

    > I booted on the LInux disc, the 12mb one, but it asked me for the
    > ISO image, which was on the disconnected drive - lol.
    > ANyway I have burned that to a DVD now, although it was
    > a lot smaller than the 1.6GB of data I downloaded, it was about 126MB IIRC
    > which confused me.
    > To be honest I do not know what reflect thing was doing after it
    > downloaded, it was
    > doing all sort of stuff which I had no clue about, I think there was
    > something
    > about windows PE or something, I dunno. Bit of a mystery.
    >
    >> I don't know what the attraction would be, of downloading the
    >> huge WAIK kit from Microsoft, and making some kind of WinPE
    >> boot CD. When the Linux one is ready to go.

    > AH yes that's it WinPE, no idea what that was all about.
    >
    > The Linux one was not ready to go anyway wher as far as I can see, at
    > least
    > not without the ISO image, I have that now, good job you remined me.
    > It's on a DVD (I hope). I have also copied it onto the SATA drive if that
    > will help.
    > I could see the SATA drive when I booted from the Linux DVD.
    >

    > I do get the feeling none of this will work though because I don't think
    > it
    > sees the drive so I don't think it matters what I put on the drive.
    >
    > It is like when I tried to boot from the faulty drive in a way, same
    > black/grey screen
    > with an underscore at the topleft whci just sits there.
    >
    > Anyhow I will try a few things,
    >
    > 1) switch to sata 1
    >
    > 2) Boot on the linux dvd and give it the ISO it asks for and see what

    And not much happened, certainly could not boot on the lone SATA drive.
    When I booted on both I got new hardware detected and and hourglass which
    never
    went away untill I killed and restaarted explorer.

    I also booted on linux thing and tried to load the ISO but it never listed
    it
    al it listed was folders. I think it was looking for a different file
    extension
    other than .ISO but it could not find it.

    However I notice now I have another .iso in my downloads folder, it's size
    of 1.7 gig matches the download I expected so maybe I should have used that
    I am not sure, but as it didn't list the smaller .iso I doubt it owuld list
    the larget one.
    It was called KB3AIK_EN.iso

    So..... I don't seem to be getting very far!!
    R. Giggs., Nov 8, 2012
  4. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >> With the old disk booted, right now, go to Device Manager, and
    >> have a look for
    >>
    >> "ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller"

    > I can't find that, not too sure where to look for it.
    >
    > For the 500gb drive
    > disk.sys
    > partmgr.sys
    > pssnap.sys
    >
    > on the ide ATA/ATAPI controler
    >
    > atapi.sys
    > storpop.dll
    >
    > and on the PCI bit also:-
    >
    > pcide.sys
    > pciidex.sys
    >
    > Apart from those there does not seem to be anything else related to the
    > drives
    > or their buses. No mention of SATA in there at all. Maybe it's done in the
    > hardware, I really
    > have little idea about how it works.
    >
    > For example it is not like this-
    >
    > http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/88629d1159705611/device-manager.png
    >
    > I don't have the line starting Intel etc...
    >
    > It's more lilke this
    >

    > http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2209/idedevmanagerlz7.gif
    >
    > But with out the top 2 two sata lines, I just have 2 primary 2 secondary and
    > 2 2 standard duel channel PCI.
    >

    > So I don't really know what is going on there.
    > But as I said I don't see why you could not have a chip or some hardware
    > on the mobo to convert ide to sata.
    >

    > Any how on those entries I notice I seem to have a device on each of the
    > primary channels in ultra dma mode 5 and one device on a secondary channel
    > on ultra dma mode 2. I suspect the 3 are, my system drive, my DVD drive and
    > the 500 gig drive perhaps.
    > So I am thinking if I disconnect the SATA drive totally one of those devices
    > will disappear
    > where it says 'current transfer mode' as if there is nothing there there
    > will not be a mode.
    >
    > So I can try that sometime.
    >
    > But anyhow all a bit confusing lol.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Device Manager is a graphical way to dump information about
    the hardware and the drivers.

    Everest (from Lavalys) can also dump a huge amount of info
    about hardware, but would probably need quite a bit of
    editing to get just the core info.

    But Microsoft also makes devcon.exe, which outputs text
    in a command prompt window.

    For example, in a (DOS) command prompt window, I did the
    following sequence.

    c:
    cd \
    cd downloads
    cd devcon
    cd i386
    dir (prove the program is present)

    devcon driverfiles * > output.txt

    What the last line does, is dump VEN/DEV lines, as well
    as lists of driver files, all into a single text file. In
    that example, I chose "output.txt" as the file to get
    redirection of the text. You then open the output.txt file
    in Notepad, and read it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272

    "Download the DevCon package now. Release Date: Jan-29-2003"

    When you get the devcon.exe file, I think it's self-extracting.
    I open files like that with 7ZIP, and get the file I want
    that way. In this case, the i386\devcon.exe file inside that
    is the one you want. It works with a 32 bit OS. If your OS
    was 64 bit, then you'd need an entirely different recipe for
    getting the file (as it's not actually available from the above
    KB311272 article).

    This is a chunk of that kind of output, for my Intel SATA ports.

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&SUBSYS_82771043&REV_02\3&11583659&0&FA
    Name: Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920
    Driver installed from c:\windows\inf\oem16.inf [pciide_Inst].
    3 file(s) used by driver:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pciidex.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys

    The SB400 controls up to eight disks as a chip. In what should be
    four pairs. So there should be four chunks similar to the one
    I posted. What you'd be looking for, is whether they were all
    using pciide.sys type entries, or not. The Silicon Image
    driver install, would be using si3112.sys, just for comparison.
    The two controllers for the two IDE ribbon cables, that
    might be pciide.sys. But the SATA ports might be different.
    Based on what I was seeing in the INF file, I'm hoping you'll
    find at least one chunk with a "DEV_4379" in it.

    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4379

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 8, 2012
  5. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    > And not much happened, certainly could not boot on the lone SATA drive.
    > When I booted on both I got new hardware detected and and hourglass which
    > never
    > went away untill I killed and restaarted explorer.
    >

    > I also booted on linux thing and tried to load the ISO but it never listed
    > it
    > al it listed was folders. I think it was looking for a different file
    > extension
    > other than .ISO but it could not find it.
    >
    > However I notice now I have another .iso in my downloads folder, it's size
    > of 1.7 gig matches the download I expected so maybe I should have used
    > that
    > I am not sure, but as it didn't list the smaller .iso I doubt it owuld
    > list the larget one.
    > It was called KB3AIK_EN.iso
    >
    > So..... I don't seem to be getting very far!!

    There is a VERY INTERESTNG one here!!!

    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/269331-cant-boot-xp-from-sata-drive/

    "Hi. I am trying to replace the original 200gb IDE drive on my eMachines
    with a new 1tb SATA drive on a MS-7184 mobo. The mobo manual claims that you
    can boot from a SATA drive.
    I have cloned my entire C: drive (with XP) from the IDE to the SATA drive
    (using Norton Ghost 12), but if I disconnect the IDE drive, the computer
    won't start up."

    and later...

    "I went back and redid the drive copy using Western Dig's utility instead of
    Norton Ghost, and it's working!!!! "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So I have downloaded that am installing it so I will have a go with that and
    see what happens......

    R. Giggs., Nov 8, 2012
  6. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Name: Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 -
    > 2920
    > Driver installed from c:\windows\inf\oem16.inf [pciide_Inst].
    > 3 file(s) used by driver:
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pciidex.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
    >
    > The SB400 controls up to eight disks as a chip. In what should be
    > four pairs. So there should be four chunks similar to the one
    > I posted. What you'd be looking for, is whether they were all
    > using pciide.sys type entries, or not. The Silicon Image
    > driver install, would be using si3112.sys, just for comparison.
    > The two controllers for the two IDE ribbon cables, that
    > might be pciide.sys. But the SATA ports might be different.
    > Based on what I was seeing in the INF file, I'm hoping you'll
    > find at least one chunk with a "DEV_4379" in it.

    Well thanks for that, interesting stuff, but I have something to report.

    I did a clone with Acronis True Image and.....glory be..........

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yep just checked to make sure the old disk is not connected and it isn't!!!!

    Well after all that, chased a few red herrings, not to sure what that clone
    worked
    and the other didn't, perhaps Western DIgital do something odd with their
    drives.
    But whatever I can finally boot on the SATA drive!!

    R. Giggs., Nov 8, 2012
  7. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

    >> And not much happened, certainly could not boot on the lone SATA drive.
    >> When I booted on both I got new hardware detected and and hourglass which
    >> never
    >> went away untill I killed and restaarted explorer.
    >>

    >> I also booted on linux thing and tried to load the ISO but it never
    >> listed it
    >> al it listed was folders. I think it was looking for a different file
    >> extension
    >> other than .ISO but it could not find it.
    >>
    >> However I notice now I have another .iso in my downloads folder, it's
    >> size
    >> of 1.7 gig matches the download I expected so maybe I should have used
    >> that
    >> I am not sure, but as it didn't list the smaller .iso I doubt it owuld
    >> list the larget one.
    >> It was called KB3AIK_EN.iso
    >>
    >> So..... I don't seem to be getting very far!!
    >>

    > There is a VERY INTERESTNG one here!!!
    >
    > http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/269331-cant-boot-xp-from-sata-drive/
    >
    > "Hi. I am trying to replace the original 200gb IDE drive on my eMachines
    > with a new 1tb SATA drive on a MS-7184 mobo. The mobo manual claims that
    > you can boot from a SATA drive.
    > I have cloned my entire C: drive (with XP) from the IDE to the SATA drive
    > (using Norton Ghost 12), but if I disconnect the IDE drive, the computer
    > won't start up."
    >

    > and later...
    >

    > "I went back and redid the drive copy using Western Dig's utility instead
    > of Norton Ghost, and it's working!!!! "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >

    > So I have downloaded that am installing it so I will have a go with that
    > and see what happens......

    Yep just checked to make sure the old disk is not connected and it isn't!!!!

    Well after all that, chased a few red herrings, not to sure why that clone
    R. Giggs., Nov 8, 2012