    Please, how do I go about this? I have been told there could be a
    problem as the source drive is being used.

    Alasdair.

    Alasdair, Mar 16, 2010

  2. Alasdair

    philo Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > I would like to make a clone of my C:\ drive which is my booting drive
    > so that, in the event of it failing, I can just swap it for the clone
    > and start again. I would like to use Norton Ghost 2003.
    >
    > Please, how do I go about this? I have been told there could be a
    > problem as the source drive is being used.
    >
    > Alasdair.

    cloning software works in such a way that the clone is performed upon
    reboot...and prior to the OS loading

    philo, Mar 16, 2010

  3. Alasdair

    olfart Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > Alasdair wrote:
    >> I would like to make a clone of my C:\ drive which is my booting drive
    >> so that, in the event of it failing, I can just swap it for the clone
    >> and start again. I would like to use Norton Ghost 2003.
    >>
    >> Please, how do I go about this? I have been told there could be a
    >> problem as the source drive is being used. Alasdair.

    > cloning software works in such a way that the clone is performed upon
    > reboot...and prior to the OS loading

    unless you use Casper
    www.fsdev.com
    check it out....been using it for years with good results

    olfart, Mar 17, 2010
  4. Alasdair

    LSMFT Guest

    Alasdair wrote:

    You should get Clonezilla live CD. You're right, you can't
    backup a mounted partition. You need a live CD and the target
    hard drive must be equal or larger than the source.

    --
    LSMFT

    LSMFT, Mar 17, 2010
  5. Alasdair

    Anyolmouse Guest

    "Alasdair" <> wrote in message
    > I would like to make a clone of my C:\ drive which is my booting drive
    > so that, in the event of it failing, I can just swap it for the clone
    > and start again. I would like to use Norton Ghost 2003.
    >
    > Please, how do I go about this? I have been told there could be a
    > problem as the source drive is being used.
    >
    > Alasdair.

    I am using Norton Ghost 2000 (I think) running Win ME with two
    partitioned drives. I routinely image the C: partition to the other
    drive with no problems. But, I run Ghost from a floppy, not direct from
    the C: drive partition. You should be able to create a CD to do the same
    thing from the Ghost program.

    --
    We have met the enemy and he is us-- Pogo

    Anyolmouse

    Anyolmouse, Mar 17, 2010
  6. Alasdair

    responder Guest

    On 3/16/2010 7:17 PM, olfart wrote:
    > "philo"<> wrote in message
    >> Alasdair wrote:
    >>> I would like to make a clone of my C:\ drive which is my booting drive
    >>> so that, in the event of it failing, I can just swap it for the clone
    >>> and start again. I would like to use Norton Ghost 2003.
    >>>
    >>> Please, how do I go about this? I have been told there could be a
    >>> problem as the source drive is being used. Alasdair.

    >> cloning software works in such a way that the clone is performed upon
    >> reboot...and prior to the OS loading

    > unless you use Casper
    > www.fsdev.com
    > check it out....been using it for years with good results

    I was a beta tester for them to tell you how long I have been
    successfully using it..

    I have 2 HDD in all of my machines,except notebook, and I simply clone
    to the backup drive which importantly is also bootable..

    responder, Mar 17, 2010
  7. Alasdair

    LSMFT Guest

    wrote:

    >>Alasdair wrote:
    >>
    >>You should get Clonezilla live CD. You're right, you can't
    >>backup a mounted partition. You need a live CD and the

    target
    >>hard drive must be equal or larger than the source.

    > No, Alasdair didn't write that.
    >
    > To properly quote, you want to put your text BELOW text you

    are
    > quoting. The way you replied, it's impossible to tell the

    difference
    > between what you wrote and what you quoted.

    You had no trouble.
    --
    LSMFT

    LSMFT, Mar 17, 2010
  8. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:25:08 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:24:06 -0400, LSMFT <>

    > wrote:
    >>

    >>>Alasdair wrote:
    >>>
    >>>You should get Clonezilla live CD. You're right, you can't backup a
    >>>mounted partition. You need a live CD and the

    > target
    >>>hard drive must be equal or larger than the source.

    >> No, Alasdair didn't write that.
    >>
    >> To properly quote, you want to put your text BELOW text you

    > are
    >> quoting. The way you replied, it's impossible to tell the

    > difference
    >> between what you wrote and what you quoted.

    > You had no trouble.

    It took me a while to work out who said what and who was saying what. I
    had to find the post to which you were replying just to make sure.

    Dope.

    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2010
  9. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:21:09 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:25:08 -0400, LSMFT <> wrote:
    >
    >>You had no trouble.

    > If you want to learn to use usenet properly, listen to advice. If you
    > want to end up getting killfiled by the regulars, don't.

    "@aol.com". Welcome to the Eternal September, Evan.

    :)

    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2010
  10. Alasdair <> via

    > I would like to make a clone of my C:\ drive which is my booting drive
    > so that, in the event of it failing, I can just swap it for the clone
    > and start again. I would like to use Norton Ghost 2003.
    >
    > Please, how do I go about this? I have been told there could be a
    > problem as the source drive is being used.
    >
    > Alasdair.

    http://www.symantec.com/press/powerquest/pq060903.html

    You might have to "borrow" a copy from someone, or on the
    interwebs, because Symantec seems to want to forcefeed
    their online backup service lately. You can backup live,
    but to restore you use the CD as a bootdisk - it's easy too.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*,
    that is NOT a Jedi light-sabre in my pocket;

    Repent! The end is near....
    So, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 17, 2010
  11. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:02:16 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Acrojis

    Ooopsie!

    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2010
  12. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:37:35 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:12:04 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:02:16 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> Acrojis

    >>Ooopsie!

    > Obviously you've never heard of Acrojis.

    Is the 'j' pronounced as in Spanish or in English?

    :)

    Just reminds me. I was on a web forum somewhere the other night and
    spotted the details of someone's avatar. At first glance, it looks like a
    Windows XP logo, with the little flag waving and the black background,
    only in this case the flag is that of Mexico and it was called 'Guindows
    MX'. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

    I just found it here:

    < http://www.corysback.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/guindows.jpg >

    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2010
  13. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:09:26 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:05:02 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <>wrote:

    >>> LOL you could use something like Bootskin to change your XP boot logo
    >>> to that.

    >>I don't have an XP boot logo. :)

    > I meany 'your' in general.

    You're forgiven.

    :)

    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2010
  14. Alasdair

    olfart Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:09:26 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:05:02 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    >> <>wrote:

    >>>I don't have an XP boot logo. :)

    >> I meany 'your' in general.

    > You're forgiven.
    >
    > :)
    >

    > --

    Why don't you two get a room

    olfart, Mar 17, 2010
  15. Alasdair

    LSMFT Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:25:08 -0400, LSMFT<> wrote:
    >
    >> You had no trouble.

    > If you want to learn to use usenet properly, listen to advice. If you
    > want to end up getting killfiled by the regulars, don't.

    I usually don't. I think people are manipulating the replies.

    --
    LSMFT

    Drive slower than the posted speed.............................
    And you too can become a fracking prick..............

    LSMFT, Mar 17, 2010
  16. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:41:38 -0400, olfart wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:09:26 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I meany 'your' in general.

    >> You're forgiven.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>

    > Why don't you two get a room

    Ah! If only!

    :)

    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2010
  17. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:57:11 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:25:08 -0400, LSMFT<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You had no trouble.

    >> If you want to learn to use usenet properly, listen to advice. If you
    >> want to end up getting killfiled by the regulars, don't.

    > I usually don't. I think people are manipulating the replies.

    Prepare to enter multiple kill files, then.

    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2010
  18. Alasdair

    chuckcar Guest

    Alasdair <> wrote in

    > I would like to make a clone of my C:\ drive which is my booting drive
    > so that, in the event of it failing, I can just swap it for the clone
    > and start again. I would like to use Norton Ghost 2003.
    >
    > Please, how do I go about this? I have been told there could be a
    > problem as the source drive is being used.

    And your operating system is? Without knowing that we can say nothing as
    to whether or not you have to use the *exact* same model of hard drive
    or not, how and when to *do* your "backup" (although a clone is a sorry
    excuse for one). The fact of the matter is that if you're using windows
    2000 or any of the earlier nt versions you *have* to use the same model
    hard drive. If you're using linux, you just run a file copy (preserving
    links) on / (excluding external drives/devices). Any hardware that linux
    needs to boot with doesn't need to be configured. You can't change
    motherboards and processor types - x86 to SUN Sparc for example, but
    everything else doesn't matter. If you're running XP or some replacement
    for it, you have a CDwritter almost certainly. Something that you can
    write your documents to and only require you keep your original install
    CD's somewhere safe. Something you've done of course right?

    How do you know if the image you're taking is completely clean, free
    from *any* malware or windows corruption? Answer: you don't, not unless
    you checked windows as *soon* as it booted the first time to see if
    *all* programs started properly, device manager had no driver conflicts
    and you disabled *everything* in startup. Did you?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 19, 2010
  19. Alasdair

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:49:46 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > CDwritter

    WTF?????????????

    Aardvark, Mar 19, 2010
  20. Alasdair

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow wrote in news::

    > On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:49:46 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>And your operating system is? Without knowing that we can say nothing
    >>as to whether or not you have to use the *exact* same model of hard
    >>drive or not, how and when to *do* your "backup" (although a clone is
    >>a sorry excuse for one).

    > HUH? cloning software which needs exclusive control over disks cannot
    > be run within an operating system that itself has exclusive control
    > over disks. This means it must run within a shell designed
    > specifically for the cloning software. Also means the operating system
    > on the source drive is of no consequence unless you are dealing with
    > Linux, BSD, MAC, etc.. then you would need something like Server Magic
    > that still runs in its own shell but understands file system better.
    > Maybe the Newest Acronis also serves these systems too I don't know.
    >
    > As far as a clone is concerned it is the BEST backup you could have.
    > As in a SATA RAID 1 with a hot spare. Or even a cloned drive removed
    > from the PC and stuck on the shelf until it's needed or recloned after
    > major additions to the operating system.

    Nope. Disagree for the reasons I gave. More things can be wrong with the
    backup itself. As many as a OS installation obviously. What you want to
    avoid in having reliable backups.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 19, 2010