    some other program, would it be able to tell the difference and not
    work? If I am able to copy the files in my Recovery Partition, will
    they work? Thanks in advance.
    DarkPhoenix, Aug 18, 2007

  2. In <> DarkPhoenix
    wrote:
    > I just bought a Compaq Presario and read that it would only let me
    > create one Recovery DVD. That would be fine except that I would
    > prefer to have backups of my Recovery DVD in case my primary DVD
    > becomes defective. If I created a clone Recovery DVD using Nero or
    > some other program, would it be able to tell the difference and not
    > work? If I am able to copy the files in my Recovery Partition, will
    > they work? Thanks in advance.

    If it's the same as the HP computer I set up a couple of months ago the
    recovery disk creation software gives you the option of writing the
    backup either directly to a CD or DVD, or to an ISO disk image. If you
    choose the disk image option you can then make as many copies as you
    like from the image.

    I recall I had to wait about an hour while it created the restore disks
    before I could use the computer for anything. Way to go HP: piss off
    your customers AND give them an hour to think about how much they hate
    you, just to save a dollar on the cost of some restore disks.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Aug 18, 2007

  3. In message <>,
    DarkPhoenix wrote:

    > I just bought a Compaq Presario and read that it would only let me
    > create one Recovery DVD.

    Probably because that's all the licence allows, and any further copies would
    be a licence violation.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 18, 2007
  4. DarkPhoenix

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> DarkPhoenix
    > wrote:
    > > I just bought a Compaq Presario and read that it would only let me
    > > create one Recovery DVD. That would be fine except that I would
    > > prefer to have backups of my Recovery DVD in case my primary DVD
    > > becomes defective. If I created a clone Recovery DVD using Nero or
    > > some other program, would it be able to tell the difference and not
    > > work? If I am able to copy the files in my Recovery Partition, will
    > > they work? Thanks in advance.

    > If it's the same as the HP computer I set up a couple of months ago
    > the recovery disk creation software gives you the option of writing
    > the backup either directly to a CD or DVD, or to an ISO disk image.
    > If you choose the disk image option you can then make as many copies
    > as you like from the image.
    >
    > I recall I had to wait about an hour while it created the restore
    > disks before I could use the computer for anything. Way to go HP:
    > piss off your customers AND give them an hour to think about how much
    > they hate you, just to save a dollar on the cost of some restore
    > disks.

    Damn! I wish I'd thought of/seen the ISO option. I've helped a couple
    friends set up new Compaq's recently and have burnt the back-up discs to the
    best quaility DVD-Rs I could find but am still not comfortable with only
    having one set, and in users care at that.

    If anyone has an answer to DarkPhoenix's question I'd like to hear it.

    Cheers,
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 19, 2007
  5. DarkPhoenix

    John S Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:09:37 -0700, DarkPhoenix wrote:

    > I just bought a Compaq Presario and read that it would only let me
    > create one Recovery DVD. That would be fine except that I would
    > prefer to have backups of my Recovery DVD in case my primary DVD
    > becomes defective. If I created a clone Recovery DVD using Nero or
    > some other program, would it be able to tell the difference and not
    > work? If I am able to copy the files in my Recovery Partition, will
    > they work? Thanks in advance.

    I struck the same problem when I bought my IBM laptop.

    Burned a set of 7 CDs for recovery then discovered that apparently I
    couldn't repeat the process.

    Two solutions:-

    1) Make iso files of the already-made CDs and make additional copies. (Need
    appropriate software, which came pre-loaded with my IBM).

    2) Immediately restore the computer to it's ex factory state, then burn an
    extra set of CDS. On the IBM I could recover from the special system
    partition, without using the new CDs.

    ( I didn't think of this myself - seems counter-intuitive. However, I
    phoned IBM support in a highly indignant state of mind and pointed out that
    I didn't want to wait until I needed the CDs to find out if they would
    work. The help desk guy didn't exactly tell me what to do - just gave some
    diplomatic hints).

    Now, this is for IBM and may be of no earthly use to a Compaq owner

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Aug 19, 2007