Cloned to SATA

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Sheesh, I've already got my first problem of the year.

    My main machine is an AMD XP-2800 running Win2k with all the updates.

    I've often used Acronis to clone the ATA drive and have never had a
    problem...
    the machine has run flawlessly for years.

    Today I decided to clone the 100gig ATA drive to a 250gig SATA drive...

    so I first added the SATA drive and installed the drivers for the SATA
    chipset...
    rebooted and confirmed all was OK...
    then did the clone. Then shut down

    The ATA drive was removed and I booted up with the SATA drive and all seemed
    to be fine

    HOWEVER when I use Outlook Express. No matter what I am doing, it will shut
    down in about 45 seconds

    It's been quite consistent there!

    There is no error listed in the event log
    but Dr. Watson picked it up and it shows an access violation
    and lists a few dozen stack fault registers.

    I removed the SATA and put back the original ATA drive and all is fine.

    No big deal as I have a dozen or more spare drives with clone after clone on
    them...
    but just curious why cloning to the SATA drive screwed up OE???

    This being January 1st...*something* always seems to happen to me.

    At least this year I did not have one of my friends bringing his computer
    over at 8 pm to be repaired.

    and that was one of the times I did stay up quite late!!!
    philo, Jan 1, 2008

  2. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:55:31 -0600, philo wrote:

    > Sheesh, I've already got my first problem of the year.
    >
    > My main machine is an AMD XP-2800 running Win2k with all the updates.
    >
    > I've often used Acronis to clone the ATA drive and have never had a
    > problem...
    > the machine has run flawlessly for years.
    >
    > Today I decided to clone the 100gig ATA drive to a 250gig SATA drive...
    >
    > so I first added the SATA drive and installed the drivers for the SATA
    > chipset...
    > rebooted and confirmed all was OK...
    > then did the clone. Then shut down
    >
    > The ATA drive was removed and I booted up with the SATA drive and all seemed
    > to be fine
    >
    > HOWEVER when I use Outlook Express. No matter what I am doing, it will shut
    > down in about 45 seconds
    >
    > It's been quite consistent there!
    >
    > There is no error listed in the event log
    > but Dr. Watson picked it up and it shows an access violation
    > and lists a few dozen stack fault registers.
    >
    > I removed the SATA and put back the original ATA drive and all is fine.
    >
    > No big deal as I have a dozen or more spare drives with clone after clone on
    > them...
    > but just curious why cloning to the SATA drive screwed up OE???
    >

    > This being January 1st...*something* always seems to happen to me.
    >
    > At least this year I did not have one of my friends bringing his computer
    > over at 8 pm to be repaired.
    >
    > and that was one of the times I did stay up quite late!!!

    Re-clone. I had problems after cloning an XP drive. Some error of which I
    forget. Re-cloning fixed it.
    Meat Plow, Jan 1, 2008

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    > > There is no error listed in the event log
    > > but Dr. Watson picked it up and it shows an access violation
    > > and lists a few dozen stack fault registers.
    > >
    > > I removed the SATA and put back the original ATA drive and all is fine.
    > >
    > > No big deal as I have a dozen or more spare drives with clone after

    clone on
    > > them...
    > > but just curious why cloning to the SATA drive screwed up OE???
    > >

    > > This being January 1st...*something* always seems to happen to me.
    > >
    > > At least this year I did not have one of my friends bringing his

    computer
    > > over at 8 pm to be repaired.
    > >
    > > and that was one of the times I did stay up quite late!!!

    > Re-clone. I had problems after cloning an XP drive. Some error of which I
    > forget. Re-cloning fixed it.

    Ok...will give it another try.

    Acronis has been pretty good so far...but something must have gone wrong
    philo, Jan 1, 2008
  4. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:55:31 -0600, philo wrote:

    > Sheesh, I've already got my first problem of the year.
    >
    > My main machine is an AMD XP-2800 running Win2k with all the update

    FYI I just successfully cloned a 200 gig WD SATA with Kubuntu linux and XP
    on it to a 320 gig WD SATA. In this PC I also had a 160 gig Seagate for XP
    besides having another XP slice on the 200 gig WD. The Seagate drive had
    the linux bootloader. I did away with the 160 gig drive and installed the
    linux (grub) bootloader on the newly cloned 320 gig WD. In addition I
    manually increased the size of the linux partition and decreased the size
    of the XP partition. I used Acronis True Image 11 and Grub Super Boot Disk.

    Before clone the partitions respectively were 135/60/2.5 NTFS/ext3/swap.
    After 100/195/2.5. So in addition to the cloning, resizing of both XP and
    linux partitions were done perfectly.

    Now doesn't all that make what you did seem trivial? :)
    Meat Plow, Jan 1, 2008
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:55:31 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    > > Sheesh, I've already got my first problem of the year.
    > >
    > > My main machine is an AMD XP-2800 running Win2k with all the update

    > FYI I just successfully cloned a 200 gig WD SATA with Kubuntu linux and XP
    > on it to a 320 gig WD SATA. In this PC I also had a 160 gig Seagate for XP
    > besides having another XP slice on the 200 gig WD. The Seagate drive had
    > the linux bootloader. I did away with the 160 gig drive and installed the
    > linux (grub) bootloader on the newly cloned 320 gig WD. In addition I
    > manually increased the size of the linux partition and decreased the size
    > of the XP partition. I used Acronis True Image 11 and Grub Super Boot

    Disk.

    > Before clone the partitions respectively were 135/60/2.5 NTFS/ext3/swap.
    > After 100/195/2.5. So in addition to the cloning, resizing of both XP and
    > linux partitions were done perfectly.
    >
    > Now doesn't all that make what you did seem trivial? :)

    Yes...
    I too have done some more complicated clones without any problems...
    so thought a simple partition to partition clone should have gone without a
    hitch...
    but I guess nothing/no one is perfect
    philo, Jan 1, 2008