    I imaged an 80 GB HD onto a new 200GB one. The new 200GB HD now is
    convinced it is an 80GB one. No amount of "Partition Magic" can make it
    reclaim the remaining 120GB.
    Nomen Nescio, Aug 12, 2005

  2. From: "Nomen Nescio" <>

    | I imaged an 80 GB HD onto a new 200GB one. The new 200GB HD now is
    | convinced it is an 80GB one. No amount of "Partition Magic" can make it
    | reclaim the remaining 120GB.
    | Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

    What makes you think this is a Computer Security related question -- It isn't.

    It is realted to the OS, platform BIOS and hardware and the hard disk imaging software. You
    don't mention what the OS is, the OS Service Pack level, the imaging software, or even about
    the platform. There are *many* variables related to this problem and none are security
    related.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Nomen Nescio

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:50:05 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:
    > I imaged an 80 GB HD onto a new 200GB one. The new 200GB HD now is
    > convinced it is an 80GB one.

    Guessing _image_ in disk context means bit for bit, format for format
    and size for size.

    > No amount of "Partition Magic" can make it
    > reclaim the remaining 120GB.
    > Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

    Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Lack of any OS information/partition format prevents any specific help.

    I suggest partition/formatting 120 gig with whatever OS's partitioning tools
    then copy data.
    Bit Twister, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Nomen Nescio

    Unruh Guest

    Nomen Nescio <> writes:

    >I imaged an 80 GB HD onto a new 200GB one. The new 200GB HD now is
    >convinced it is an 80GB one. No amount of "Partition Magic" can make it
    >reclaim the remaining 120GB.
    >Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

    Yes. You overwrote everything on the disk that made it think it was a 200GB
    drive with stuff which made it think it was an 80GB drive. DO NOTE CLONE
    smaller disk to a larger.
    (Also yell at the people who wrote the cloning software. Of course if you
    did a dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb, you are on your own.)
    Unruh, Aug 12, 2005
  5. From: "Unruh" <>

    | Yes. You overwrote everything on the disk that made it think it was a 200GB
    | drive with stuff which made it think it was an 80GB drive. DO NOTE CLONE
    | smaller disk to a larger.
    | (Also yell at the people who wrote the cloning software. Of course if you
    | did a dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb, you are on your own.)

    If he had used Symantec/Norton Ghost this would have been quite possible, clone a 80GB drive
    with say 10GB free space to a 200GB drive and the OS would see the 200GB drive with 130GB of
    free space. However, the OP didn't even bother to explain how the drive was cloned.

    There is nothing wrong with cloing a smaller drive to a larger drive as long as the BIOS
    recognizes the larger drive, and the OS recognizes the larger drive.

    David H. Lipman, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Nomen Nescio

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:44:52 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Unruh" <>
    >

    >| Yes. You overwrote everything on the disk that made it think it was a 200GB
    >| drive with stuff which made it think it was an 80GB drive. DO NOTE CLONE
    >| smaller disk to a larger.
    >| (Also yell at the people who wrote the cloning software. Of course if you
    >| did a dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb, you are on your own.)
    >|

    >If he had used Symantec/Norton Ghost this would have been quite possible, clone a 80GB drive
    >with say 10GB free space to a 200GB drive and the OS would see the 200GB drive with 130GB of
    >free space. However, the OP didn't even bother to explain how the drive was cloned.
    >
    >There is nothing wrong with cloing a smaller drive to a larger drive as long as the BIOS
    >recognizes the larger drive, and the OS recognizes the larger drive.

    Also true of Partition Magic 4 which gives the option of filling the
    disk or making it the size of the original.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 12, 2005