Clone win7 partition to ssd

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mat, Aug 19, 2010.

  1. Mat

    Mat Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:04:55 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mat wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> I said image the particular
    >>> partition contents (with his imaging ware) and write it to a bootable
    >>> partition he created somewhere else with some other tool. I should have
    >>> used the term 'volume' to refer to the drive space on the ssd instead of
    >>> the term partition. However, I would create the volume with a partition
    >>> editor such as a linux live CD because I've done that more than use the
    >>> Windows tools.
    >>>
    >>> He would like to use the Acronis Image Home software he has.
    >>>
    >>> How would you do it?

    >> Wouldn't the image overwrite the bootable prepared partition thereby
    >> removing the boot record?

    > Disclaimer: I have neither Win7 nor Acronis True Image Home 2010 (nor an
    > ssd for that matter), but I have used some old acronis imaging software
    > on partitions created with linux live CDs and I have skimmed over some
    > sections in the Acronis True Image Home 2010 manual from the acronis
    > site. I've also read a few posts in the acronis forums.
    >
    > The way I would do it would be to image the partition contents as data
    > and write that to the SSD which I had prepared as a bootable volume with
    > the linux live CD. Earlier I assumed that you could do that preparation
    > with the Windows partition manager, but since I've never seen the Win7
    > one, I'll back off that idea.
    >
    > I'm interested in what the OP said when he said that an acronis tech
    > told him that it (something 'it') couldn't be done with the True Image
    > ware, but I don't know how the OP presented the issue. Maybe he didn't
    > say, "What if I do this and this and do it like that, would that work?"
    >
    > It would be very easy to try it out. He already has the Acronis Ware, he
    > would just need a linux live CD. Incidentally, the acrnois ware is linux
    > based as well.

    The "it" was: "How can I clone just one win7 partition"

    I'll give it a go with the live CD or win7 Part mgr and see what happens.
    Thanks

    Here's a good tutorial of the whole ssd optimization thing"
    http://www.overclock.net/ssd/700470-tutorials-real-world-windows-7-ssd.html

    hmmm, maybe I should just bite the bullet and do a fresh install

    Mat, Aug 20, 2010

  2. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:12:19 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 08/19/2010 07:56 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:26:45 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mat"<> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> won't work
    >>> as you would also need to clone the hidden boot partition

    >> Why? You can boot into the console off the CD and run fixboot fixmbr
    >> and create a new boot record. And that record isn't written to a hidden
    >> partition. That is unless it's been changed recently.
    >>

    > Yep
    >
    > things have changed starting with Win7
    >

    > http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/09/how-to-avoid-200mb-hidden-

    system-partition-from-been-created-during-windows-7-installation/

    Don't have a hidden 200MB part on my W7 boot drive of this desktop.
    Looked on my netbook and its non-existent there also. Aside that, it's
    not used for booting so has no relevance here.

    Meat Plow, Aug 20, 2010

  3. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:29:57 -0500, philo wrote:

    >>> Yep
    >>>
    >>> things have changed starting with Win7
    >>>

    >>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/09/how-to-avoid-200mb-hidden-

    >> system-partition-from-been-created-during-windows-7-installation/
    >>
    >> Don't have a hidden 200MB part on my W7 boot drive of this desktop.
    >> Looked on my netbook and its non-existent there also. Aside that, it's
    >> not used for booting so has no relevance here.
    >>

    > LOL
    >
    > it's hidden from the OS
    >
    > you cannot boot without it
    >

    > view it from disc management

    I viewed using GParted Gnome partition manager for linux. I think it
    understands every style of partition known to man. But I will do as you
    say and boot into 7 and look in disk management. I'd be utterly shocked
    to see a partition that Parted did not recognized.

    Meat Plow, Aug 21, 2010
  4. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:38:40 -0500, philo wrote:

    >>> LOL
    >>>
    >>> it's hidden from the OS
    >>>
    >>> you cannot boot without it
    >>>

    >>> view it from disc management

    >> I viewed using GParted Gnome partition manager for linux. I think it
    >> understands every style of partition known to man. But I will do as you
    >> say and boot into 7 and look in disk management. I'd be utterly shocked
    >> to see a partition that Parted did not recognized.
    >>

    > If disk management sees it
    > you can assign it a drive letter and view the contents
    >

    > I'd advise unassigning the drive letter after you view it
    >

    > BTW: If you look at your win7 partition you should have realized that
    > all the normal "boot" files were not there
    >

    > Of course if you used the option described in the article I posted the
    > link to, then I guess you would not have the boot partition I mentioned
    >

    > but it's the new default way for Windows to do things
    >

    > more info here
    >
    > http://superuser.com/questions/74980/can-the-windows-7-system-reserved-

    partition-be-deleted-without-problems

    I'll have a look the next time I need to add some stuff to the IPod and
    need to reboot into 7 to use ITunes. There is a linux Gnome version but it
    just doesn't cut it for me.

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2010
  5. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:02:17 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 08/21/2010 06:24 PM, Meat Plow wrote:

    > <snip>
    >

    >>> If disk management sees it
    >>> you can assign it a drive letter and view the contents
    >>>

    >>> I'd advise unassigning the drive letter after you view it
    >>>

    >>> BTW: If you look at your win7 partition you should have realized that
    >>> all the normal "boot" files were not there
    >>>

    >>> Of course if you used the option described in the article I posted the
    >>> link to, then I guess you would not have the boot partition I
    >>> mentioned
    >>>

    >>> but it's the new default way for Windows to do things
    >>>

    >>> more info here
    >>>
    >>> http://superuser.com/questions/74980/can-the-windows-7-system-

    reserved-
    >> partition-be-deleted-without-problems
    >>

    >> I'll have a look the next time I need to add some stuff to the IPod and
    >> need to reboot into 7 to use ITunes. There is a linux Gnome version but
    >> it just doesn't cut it for me.

    > I have a win7 install *only* for the purpose of verifying how it works
    > so I can help others trouble-shoot
    >

    > Windows became too big of a PITA for me to use close to 2 years ago

    That's too bad. Because I've always felt that to help others with the
    intricacies of an OS you really have to know it well. And if it's too
    much of a PITA to use yourself, then you don't have the edge. You see
    I've really liked Win 7 so far. I praised its "no burp" attitude when it
    went from running on AMD x64 Athalon on an MSI 7207 with NVidia X330 to
    AMD PhenomII 955 x4 quad-core @ 3.2 ghz on an Asus M4A78T-E with NVidia
    7800. Any previous Windows OS would have blue screend or sat there while
    I fed it CD's full of drivers and what not (if I was lucky).
    I did NONE of that, just sat back while it downloaded everything. I
    didn't even install a new Ethernet driver. And I've never heard of this
    onboard Ethernet adaptor: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8121/AR8113/
    AR8.
    I'm sure it's cutting edge because the Asus board is new technology (well
    was new when I bought it a couple months ago) and was designed
    specifically for the AMD PhenomII quad.

    I haven't booted 7 up yet but will do that after I read this group. Parted
    shows the main NTFS partition on the Win 7 drive as flagged boot:

    Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 32.3kB 500GB 500GB primary ntfs boot

    Seeing it starts at 32kilobytes and ends at 500 gigs I don't see room for
    a hidden partition.

    Drive number 2 where I had Vista installed shows 1 megabyte of
    unallocated space.

    Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 320GB 320GB primary ntfs boot

    Drive 3 where linux is install show 32kilobytes of unallocated space

    Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 32.3kB 12.9GB 12.9GB primary ext4 boot
    2 12.9GB 320GB 307GB extended
    5 12.9GB 17.1GB 4187MB logical linux-swap(v1)
    6 17.1GB 320GB 303GB logical ext4

    So I see no room left on any of these three internal drives
    for a 200 megabyte hidden partition.

    Meat Plow, Aug 22, 2010