    backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
    acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.
    Thanks

    Mat, Aug 19, 2010

  2. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 00:52:52 +0000, Mat wrote:

    > I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
    > one win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried
    > win7 backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows
    > partitions and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to
    > reinstall win7. Thanks

    Acronis Disk Director 11

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010

  3. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mat wrote:
    > I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
    > win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
    > backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
    > acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.

    Which Acronis are you using? Acronis disk director can copy a partition.
    Acronis True Image can create an image of a partition or a drive.

    Acronis also has a 'Migrate Easy' which I haven't seen.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/ Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0
    - Migration from an Old Hard Disk to a New One - Quickly and easily
    deploy a new hard disk on your PC - migrating all data, operating
    systems, programs, and everything else automatically!

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 19, 2010
  4. Mat

    Mat Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:09:19 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mat wrote:
    >> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
    >> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
    >> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
    >> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.

    > Which Acronis are you using? Acronis disk director can copy a partition.
    > Acronis True Image can create an image of a partition or a drive.
    >
    > Acronis also has a 'Migrate Easy' which I haven't seen.
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/ Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0
    > - Migration from an Old Hard Disk to a New One - Quickly and easily
    > deploy a new hard disk on your PC - migrating all data, operating
    > systems, programs, and everything else automatically!

    I emailed Acronis and they said it cannot be done with their product
    (image home 2010)
    I'll look at the others but you would think they would have mentioned
    them

    Mat, Aug 19, 2010
  5. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mat wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Mat wrote:
    >>> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
    >>> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
    >>> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
    >>> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.

    >> Which Acronis are you using?

    > I emailed Acronis and they said it cannot be done with their product
    > (image home 2010)

    Well, Image can't prepare the ssd for booting all by itself, but you can
    do that with something else.

    > I'll look at the others but you would think they would have mentioned
    > them

    Who knows which tech is on email duty today.

    The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
    Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
    you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.

    Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
    prepared partition.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 19, 2010
  6. Mat

    PeeCee Guest

    "Mat" <> wrote in message
    > I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
    > win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
    > backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
    > acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.
    > Thanks

    Try Paragon Backup and Recovery Free 10.1
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/download.html

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 19, 2010
  7. Mat

    chuckcar Guest

    Mat <> wrote in

    > I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
    > one win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried
    > win7 backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows
    > partitions and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to
    > reinstall win7. Thanks

    That is quite probably the worst way to create a backup. SSDs have a
    shorter life span than a hard drive. Just dump your data files to
    CD/DVDs and keep all your installation CD/DVDs in a safe place where
    they can't be damaged.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Aug 19, 2010
  8. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:26:45 -0500, philo wrote:

    > "Mat" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
    >>one
    >> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
    >> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions
    >> and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall
    >> win7. Thanks

    > won't work
    > as you would also need to clone the hidden boot partition

    Why? You can boot into the console off the CD and run fixboot fixmbr
    and create a new boot record. And that record isn't written to a hidden
    partition. That is unless it's been changed recently.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010
  9. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:55:33 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Mat <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
    >> one win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried
    >> win7 backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows
    >> partitions and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to
    >> reinstall win7. Thanks

    > That is quite probably the worst way to create a backup. SSDs have a
    > shorter life span than a hard drive. Just dump your data files to
    > CD/DVDs and keep all your installation CD/DVDs in a safe place where
    > they can't be damaged.

    Uhhhh chucktard, he wants to end up with a bootable cloned partition on a
    hard drive.

    That's not indicative of just wanting to back stuff up.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010
  10. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:31:33 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mat wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Which Acronis are you using?

    >> I emailed Acronis and they said it cannot be done with their product
    >> (image home 2010)

    > Well, Image can't prepare the ssd for booting all by itself, but you can
    > do that with something else.
    >
    >> I'll look at the others but you would think they would have mentioned
    >> them

    > Who knows which tech is on email duty today.
    >
    > The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
    > Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
    > you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
    >
    > Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
    > prepared partition.

    You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010
  11. Grinder wrote:
    > On 8/18/2010 7:52 PM, Mat wrote:
    >> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
    >> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
    >> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions
    >> and
    >> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.
    >> Thanks

    > I would probably give parted magic a whirl:
    > http://partedmagic.com/
    >
    > I cannot definitively say it will work, but it sounds like you can try
    > different options with very little risk.

    Heres another linux-based option thats chock-a-block useful programs for
    Windows recovery:

    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=trinity

    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 19, 2010
  12. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> (image home 2010)

    >> The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
    >> Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
    >> you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
    >>
    >> Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
    >> prepared partition.

    > You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.

    I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
    partition contents (with his imaging ware) and write it to a bootable
    partition he created somewhere else with some other tool. I should have
    used the term 'volume' to refer to the drive space on the ssd instead of
    the term partition. However, I would create the volume with a partition
    editor such as a linux live CD because I've done that more than use the
    Windows tools.

    He would like to use the Acronis Image Home software he has.

    How would you do it?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 19, 2010
  13. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:25:58 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
    >>> Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but
    >>> if you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
    >>>
    >>> Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
    >>> prepared partition.

    >> You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.

    > I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
    > partition contents

    I don't argue semantics.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010
  14. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
    >> partition contents

    > I don't argue semantics.

    Then you can easily adjust to my use of the word 'partition' for/
    instead of/ 'volume' on the ssd.

    'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
    editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the partition
    image to the volume with your Acronis.'

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 19, 2010
  15. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:20:04 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
    >>> partition contents

    >> I don't argue semantics.

    > Then you can easily adjust to my use of the word 'partition' for/
    > instead of/ 'volume' on the ssd.
    >
    > 'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
    > editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the partition
    > image to the volume with your Acronis.'

    My point was that the target did not need any preparation. Nough said.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010
  16. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    >> 'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
    >> editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the partition
    >> image to the volume with your Acronis.'

    > My point was that the target did not need any preparation. Nough said.

    There isn't enough said if I don't know what you are talking about. If
    you don't want to talk anymore you can stop talking any time you like.

    You can't just write the image of the Win7 partition which you make with
    the Acronis to the 'bare' - off the shelf - ssd without 'preparing' the
    ssd to be bootable and to have a file system and to be a volume to write
    the image to.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 19, 2010
  17. Mat

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:55:14 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >>> 'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
    >>> editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the
    >>> partition image to the volume with your Acronis.'

    >> My point was that the target did not need any preparation. Nough said.

    > There isn't enough said if I don't know what you are talking about. If
    > you don't want to talk anymore you can stop talking any time you like.

    Sorry you lack the ability to comprehend simple ideas. I've noticed it a
    lot with your replies. I know someone who is the IT admin of a large
    college. He suffers from being able to focus much like you. He takes
    prescribed amphetamine salts 'Adderall' and he couldn't do his job
    without them. I think it's something you might look into.

    Meat Plow, Aug 19, 2010
  18. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> If
    >> you don't want to talk anymore you can stop talking any time you like.

    > I think it's something you might look into.

    Thank you for your medical opinion Dr. Plow.

    So, the last thing you have to offer on the OP is buy Acronis Disk
    Director 11 and no rebuttal to my suggestion how to use the software he has?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 19, 2010
  19. Mat

    Mat Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:25:58 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
    >>> Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
    >>> you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
    >>>
    >>> Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
    >>> prepared partition.

    >> You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.

    > I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
    > partition contents (with his imaging ware) and write it to a bootable
    > partition he created somewhere else with some other tool. I should have
    > used the term 'volume' to refer to the drive space on the ssd instead of
    > the term partition. However, I would create the volume with a partition
    > editor such as a linux live CD because I've done that more than use the
    > Windows tools.
    >
    > He would like to use the Acronis Image Home software he has.
    >
    > How would you do it?

    Wouldn't the image overwrite the bootable prepared partition thereby
    removing the boot record?

    Mat, Aug 20, 2010
  20. Mat

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mat wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I said image the particular
    >> partition contents (with his imaging ware) and write it to a bootable
    >> partition he created somewhere else with some other tool. I should have
    >> used the term 'volume' to refer to the drive space on the ssd instead of
    >> the term partition. However, I would create the volume with a partition
    >> editor such as a linux live CD because I've done that more than use the
    >> Windows tools.
    >>
    >> He would like to use the Acronis Image Home software he has.
    >>
    >> How would you do it?

    > Wouldn't the image overwrite the bootable prepared partition thereby
    > removing the boot record?

    Disclaimer: I have neither Win7 nor Acronis True Image Home 2010 (nor an
    ssd for that matter), but I have used some old acronis imaging software
    on partitions created with linux live CDs and I have skimmed over some
    sections in the Acronis True Image Home 2010 manual from the acronis
    site. I've also read a few posts in the acronis forums.

    The way I would do it would be to image the partition contents as data
    and write that to the SSD which I had prepared as a bootable volume with
    the linux live CD. Earlier I assumed that you could do that preparation
    with the Windows partition manager, but since I've never seen the Win7
    one, I'll back off that idea.

    I'm interested in what the OP said when he said that an acronis tech
    told him that it (something 'it') couldn't be done with the True Image
    ware, but I don't know how the OP presented the issue. Maybe he didn't
    say, "What if I do this and this and do it like that, would that work?"

    It would be very easy to try it out. He already has the Acronis Ware, he
    would just need a linux live CD. Incidentally, the acrnois ware is linux
    based as well.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 20, 2010