    (DOS)"....

    Thank you a lot.

    Justin
    Justin, Jul 1, 2006

  2. Justin

    sittingduck Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > My problem is "I don't know whether I can restore my C: image without
    > booting to another OS, ie. using a bootable CD which has Ghost function

    The newer version of ghost will allow you to boot from the cd it comes on.
    You can then restore a drive from another drive, or a dvd, etc.
    sittingduck, Jul 1, 2006

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thank you. I will try it out...

    Justin

    Justin, Jul 1, 2006
  4. Justin

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote:

    >I format my computer and reinstall windows very often. But, it is very
    >tidious to do all the things from the start over and over again. So, I
    >decided to clone my system partition (C:) after I install Windows and
    >other drivers and software. But, I would like to know if I can restore
    >my C: image when I want to do a reinstallation of Windows, instead of
    >formatting and installing Windows, drivers and software again. I do not
    >have multiboot. So, I think if I want to do, I will need to create a
    >disc from Ghost which can be bootable.
    >
    >My problem is "I don't know whether I can restore my C: image without
    >booting to another OS, ie. using a bootable CD which has Ghost function
    >(DOS)"....

    I think your real problem is why do need to reformat and reinstall so
    often?

    The last time I reformatted and did a complete reinstall was sometime
    in 1993 when I first started using Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

    Since then I have upgraded to each new version of Windows as it came
    out (often starting with the late beta versions) and replaced every
    hardware component multiple times, but have never seen any need for or
    value in doing a complete wipe out and starting over again.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jul 1, 2006
  5. Justin

    mdp Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > I format my computer and reinstall windows very often. But, it is very
    > tidious to do all the things from the start over and over again. So, I
    > decided to clone my system partition (C:) after I install Windows and
    > other drivers and software. But, I would like to know if I can restore
    > my C: image when I want to do a reinstallation of Windows, instead of
    > formatting and installing Windows, drivers and software again. I do
    > not have multiboot. So, I think if I want to do, I will need to
    > create a disc from Ghost which can be bootable.
    >
    > My problem is "I don't know whether I can restore my C: image without
    > booting to another OS, ie. using a bootable CD which has Ghost
    > function (DOS)"....
    >
    > Thank you a lot.
    >
    > Justin

    Ghost 2003 on a floppy can see NTFS and SATA drives (at least on my Dell XPS
    600). Very useful. Note, however, Ghost had a documented bug where PC DOS
    could not handle images larger than 2.1GB (MSDOS can) so Symantec came out
    with instructions on how to use PCDOS (IBM) or MS DOS (Microsoft). I think
    PC DOS was bundled with Ghost 2001 thru 2003. See this link:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000092514554025

    I've also had good luck with Acronis True Image however their floppy boot
    version is several MB which defeats the point however you can make a boot CD
    easily.
    mdp, Jul 1, 2006
  6. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thank you for your post. Can I create a boot CD with Norton Ghost 10 or
    2003?? Because I don't have a Floppy reader on my computer, it's hard
    for me to imagine booting from Floppy.

    Justin, Jul 2, 2006
  7. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I reinstall windows because, at least to me, it becomes slower on time
    as I install and uninstall software....

    Justin, Jul 2, 2006
  8. Justin

    Justin Guest

    There is another problem that I would like to ask you.

    I have a cluster of PC which I manage. Now I need to do some upgrade
    and new installation of some software. But, doing it on each and every
    PC will take me days. So I would like to do it on one PC and clone that
    PC to every other PC over the LAN.

    Does Norton Ghost 10 or 2003 support to do this? If so, how can I do
    it?

    I'm really bad at Ghost coz this is the first time that I try to use
    it.

    Thank you for those who share their ideas.

    Justin

    Justin, Jul 2, 2006
  9. Justin

    mdp Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Thank you for your post. Can I create a boot CD with Norton Ghost 10
    > or 2003?? Because I don't have a Floppy reader on my computer, it's
    > hard for me to imagine booting from Floppy.
    >
    > mdp wrote:
    >> Justin wrote:
    >>> I format my computer and reinstall windows very often. But, it is
    >>> very tidious to do all the things from the start over and over
    >>> again. So, I decided to clone my system partition (C:) after I
    >>> install Windows and other drivers and software. But, I would like
    >>> to know if I can restore my C: image when I want to do a
    >>> reinstallation of Windows, instead of formatting and installing
    >>> Windows, drivers and software again. I do not have multiboot. So, I
    >>> think if I want to do, I will need to create a disc from Ghost
    >>> which can be bootable.
    >>>
    >>> My problem is "I don't know whether I can restore my C: image
    >>> without booting to another OS, ie. using a bootable CD which has
    >>> Ghost function (DOS)"....
    >>>
    >>> Thank you a lot.
    >>>
    >>> Justin

    >> Ghost 2003 on a floppy can see NTFS and SATA drives (at least on my
    >> Dell XPS 600). Very useful. Note, however, Ghost had a documented
    >> bug where PC DOS could not handle images larger than 2.1GB (MSDOS
    >> can) so Symantec came out with instructions on how to use PCDOS
    >> (IBM) or MS DOS (Microsoft). I think PC DOS was bundled with Ghost
    >> 2001 thru 2003. See this link:
    >>
    >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000092514554025
    >>
    >> I've also had good luck with Acronis True Image however their floppy
    >> boot version is several MB which defeats the point however you can
    >> make a boot CD easily.

    This should help:

    http://ghost.radified.com/bootable_cd_dvd.htm
    mdp, Jul 2, 2006
  10. Justin

    mdp Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > There is another problem that I would like to ask you.
    >
    > I have a cluster of PC which I manage. Now I need to do some upgrade
    > and new installation of some software. But, doing it on each and every
    > PC will take me days. So I would like to do it on one PC and clone
    > that PC to every other PC over the LAN.
    >
    > Does Norton Ghost 10 or 2003 support to do this? If so, how can I do
    > it?
    >
    > I'm really bad at Ghost coz this is the first time that I try to use
    > it.
    >
    > Thank you for those who share their ideas.
    >
    > Justin
    >
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Thank you for your post. Can I create a boot CD with Norton Ghost 10
    >> or 2003?? Because I don't have a Floppy reader on my computer, it's
    >> hard for me to imagine booting from Floppy.
    >>
    >> mdp wrote:

    >>> Ghost 2003 on a floppy can see NTFS and SATA drives (at least on my
    >>> Dell XPS 600). Very useful. Note, however, Ghost had a
    >>> documented bug where PC DOS could not handle images larger than
    >>> 2.1GB (MSDOS can) so Symantec came out with instructions on how to
    >>> use PCDOS (IBM) or MS DOS (Microsoft). I think PC DOS was bundled
    >>> with Ghost 2001 thru 2003. See this link:
    >>>
    >>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000092514554025
    >>>
    >>> I've also had good luck with Acronis True Image however their
    >>> floppy boot version is several MB which defeats the point however
    >>> you can make a boot CD easily.

    Imaging over a network here:

    http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_network.htm

    Main menu here:

    http://ghost.radified.com/
    mdp, Jul 2, 2006
  11. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thank you. They have been a great help. :)

    Justin

    Justin, Jul 10, 2006