    are defective. Is there an easy way to copy a laptop HDD for replacement?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 31, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    Michael-NC Guest

    Never had trouble with a 2.5" adapter. Are you going into the bios and
    seeing the drive? Sure you're hooking up the adapter and power supply
    correctly?

    Michael-NC, May 31, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:25:39 +0000, Michael-NC wrote:

    > Never had trouble with a 2.5" adapter. Are you going into the bios and
    > seeing the drive? Sure you're hooking up the adapter and power supply
    > correctly?

    There's nothing on the adapters (I bought two of them) to indicate pin #1
    so I've been guessing. The BIOS hasn't show anything for either of the two
    2.5" drives I've got under any of the configurations I've tried. I've
    tried setting jumpers to Master/Slave in various combinations with the
    main HDD and also on the secondary IDE connector. I'm surprised I'm
    having this much trouble. This is a no brainer using standard 3.5" drives
    on a desktop PC.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 31, 2004
  4. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:25:39 +0000, Michael-NC wrote:
    >
    > > Never had trouble with a 2.5" adapter. Are you going into the bios and
    > > seeing the drive? Sure you're hooking up the adapter and power supply
    > > correctly?

    > There's nothing on the adapters (I bought two of them) to indicate pin #1
    > so I've been guessing. The BIOS hasn't show anything for either of the two
    > 2.5" drives I've got under any of the configurations I've tried. I've
    > tried setting jumpers to Master/Slave in various combinations with the
    > main HDD and also on the secondary IDE connector. I'm surprised I'm
    > having this much trouble. This is a no brainer using standard 3.5" drives
    > on a desktop PC.

    Pin 1 on the drive is closest to the 4 jumper pins that are separated by a
    space from the main set of 44 pins. With the adapter plugged into the drive,
    pin 1 on the ribbon cable should orient to the same side of the adapter,
    logically following through to the same set of pins on the drive.
    Thor, May 31, 2004
  5. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:58:17 -0400, Thor wrote:

    > Pin 1 on the drive is closest to the 4 jumper pins that are separated by
    > a space from the main set of 44 pins. With the adapter plugged into the
    > drive, pin 1 on the ribbon cable should orient to the same side of the
    > adapter, logically following through to the same set of pins on the
    > drive.

    Thanks, makes sense. Basically the adapter is just a pass through
    connector I guess. I'm still not getting a read on the 2.5" HDD in the
    BIOS though. Tried jumper settings all over the place. I was anticipating
    setting the 3.5" drive in the PC to Master and the 2.5" drive on the
    adapter to Slave. It doesn't seem as if the 2.5" HDD is running. The
    power connector is in as far as it can go, but I should be able to hear or
    feel some motion from the drive, but I don't. Again I'm wondering if both
    of these adapters I bought are bad. Could be my luck.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jun 1, 2004