    it up as Master.

    Can I clone my original HD to my new one without having to buy and expensive
    utility like Norton Ghost?
    Henrik, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Henrik

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:29:43 -0700, "Henrik" <> wrote:

    >Hey again guys!
    >
    >Now that I have my new and improved HD running, I'd like to clone my
    >original HD image to what is now my slave. Then, after doing this I'll set
    >it up as Master.
    >
    >Can I clone my original HD to my new one without having to buy and expensive
    >utility like Norton Ghost?

    Expensive? You call $4.95 expensive?
    You must be quite a guy on a hot date...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3805&item=3695721148&rd=1
    Unk, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Henrik wrote:

    > Hey again guys!
    >
    > Now that I have my new and improved HD running, I'd like to clone my
    > original HD image to what is now my slave. Then, after doing this I'll set
    > it up as Master.
    >
    > Can I clone my original HD to my new one without having to buy and
    > expensive utility like Norton Ghost?

    Get yourself a knoppix cd from some computer magazine or a friend. Do the
    "sudo su" on a terminal, then type
    - hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
    - hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc (when you put the new hd as master on the 2nd ide
    channel, recommended for faster copying)
    - dd if=/dev/hda bs=4k of=/dev/hdc (make _really_ sure you don't mix up the
    device names, otherwise you are lost) and take a coffee break
    - reconnect the new drive as primary master
    - if you are lucky, you can then boot directly and your windows (2K,XP)
    still accepts your logon. Under some circumstances the changed volume
    identifiers mix up your registry device entries, it wants to assign new
    different device letters and can't find winlogon due to a bug. Same thing
    might also happen when you use ghost or partition magic.
    - When you were lucky, you can use the harddrive manglement tool to
    partition the free space left on the new drive. Or leave it for a linux
    install :)
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Aug 26, 2004