    suggestions would be appreciated.

    =============
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    JJ, Mar 18, 2006

  2. JJ

    Roadster3043 Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in
    news:qGTSf.127815$4l5.99799@dukeread05:

    > The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks
    > on black text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did
    > not help. I have removed the print head but am not sure of the
    > best way to clean it . Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > =============
    > Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

    Greetings.

    You could try and search on the Cannon website for some kind of manual
    that shows you how to clean the print head. Or perhaps you could
    google it for your printer brand and model.

    You could try cleaning it with one of those chamois swabs, or similar,
    that is lint free and lightly moistened with distilled water.
    Roadster3043, Mar 18, 2006

  3. JJ

    phrogee Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks on
    > black text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did not help.
    > I have removed the print head but am not sure of the best way to clean it
    > . Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > =============
    > Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

    Some printers have a little pocket with a sponglike material in it, located
    where the printhead is when it is at rest. Either flip this sponge over or
    trim the top with scissors. You might want to wear a pair of surgical gloves
    to keep ink off your hands as this tends to collect quite a bit of ink. If
    it needs trimmed, it causes the exact symptoms you are describing.

    --
    phrogee
    phrogee, Mar 18, 2006
  4. JJ

    HMV Guest

    "Roadster3043" <> wrote in message
    > "JJ" <> wrote in
    >
    >> The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks
    >> on black text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did
    >> not help. I have removed the print head but am not sure of the
    >> best way to clean it . Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> =============
    >> Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    >>

    > Greetings.
    >
    > You could try and search on the Cannon website for some kind of manual
    > that shows you how to clean the print head. Or perhaps you could
    > google it for your printer brand and model.
    >
    > You could try cleaning it with one of those chamois swabs, or similar,
    > that is lint free and lightly moistened with distilled water.

    Do NOT use above method. You will kill the printhead!!! I know from
    experience.

    There are 2 ways that might work.

    If it's not badly blocked - just a little dried ink - then you can buy
    cleaner cartridges for a few £. This works as a tank of cleaning fluid, in
    place of the ink tank. Go thru a few cleaning cycles and replace ink tank.
    www.cartridgemonkey.com sell them.

    The other more extreme method is to remove the ink tanks and apply a few
    short bursts of compressed air (aerosol) from the ink tank side of the
    cartridge (inside) onto the circler spong area of the printhead. This might
    work - but you will have to use the printer straight after to ensure any
    blockage is removed.

    If all this fails, or you have touch the sensitive outer contacts of the
    printhead, as Roadster advised, then you can buy a replacement printhead.
    These cost from around £37 - £60 depending on printer.

    Good luck.

    HELPMV
    --
    Help and support with Multivision Computers
    HMV, Mar 18, 2006
  5. JJ

    Tony Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks on
    > black text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did not help.
    > I have removed the print head but am not sure of the best way to clean it
    > . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    If you are not using Canon originals, chances are the ink in the cartridge
    is causing the blockage.

    First suggestion is try another make of cartridge. If it does need
    cleaning, remove the cartridge and put the print head it in a shallow tray
    with enough head cleaning solution to just cover the head. For a thorough
    clean, it is best to leave it overnight.
    Tony, Mar 18, 2006
  6. JJ

    someone Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks on
    > black text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did not help.
    > I have removed the print head but am not sure of the best way to clean it
    > . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    you can purchase cleaning cartridges now.
    here`s some examples:
    http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/find-cleaner/Canon.html

    bw..OJ
    someone, Mar 18, 2006
  7. JJ

    Plato Guest

    JJ wrote:

    > The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks on black
    > text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did not help. I have
    > removed the print head but am not sure of the best way to clean it . Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

    No harm in trying denatured alcohol and qtips to clean.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 18, 2006
  8. JJ

    elaich Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in

    > The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks on
    > black text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did not
    > help. I have removed the print head but am not sure of the best way to
    > clean it . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I found a site some time ago that described how to clean Epson print heads.
    The advice was to soak them overnight in rubbing alcohol. I did it to my
    Epson and it cleaned them perfectly.

    You can use compressed air to blow the residue out after soaking, but do
    not try to pass ANYTHING through the holes - you'll ruin the head.
    elaich, Mar 19, 2006
  9. JJ

    SS Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > The print head on my Cannon printer is clogged up. Getting streaks on

    black
    > text. A new ink cartridge and running cleaning cycles did not help. I have
    > removed the print head but am not sure of the best way to clean it . Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

    > Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

    If you removed it from the printer then try steaming the nozzle part
    (usually the little gold pad) over the spout of a kettle then dabbing dry
    with a tissue. This worked for me for badly blocked cartridges
    SS, Mar 19, 2006