Clocking multiple MFT E1 G703 cards?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bob@bfisk.demon.co.uk, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    I have an issue with multiple MFT E1 G703 cards which are all PPP
    multilinked.
    I'm seeing clock slip on the controllers and I suspect the clocking
    must be incorrect.
    CCO is not much help for this type of configuration but my thoughts are
    all the cards need to be clocked from the same source, or is it OK that
    they can all be clocked separately (end to end pairs)?
    Config at present :-

    A end:
    no network-clock-participate slot 1
    no network-clock-participate slot 2
    no network-clock-participate wic 0
    no network-clock-participate wic 1
    !
    controller E1 0/0 (Same for all controllers 0/1-3 1/0-3 2/0-3)
    clock source internal
    channel-group 0 unframed
    !

    B end:
    no network-clock-participate slot 1
    no network-clock-participate slot 2
    no network-clock-participate wic 0
    no network-clock-participate wic 1
    !
    controller E1 0/0 (Same for all controllers 0/1-3 1/0-3 2/0-3)
    channel-group 0 unframed
    !
    My thoughts are that at the 'internal' end they should all sync to the
    same clock source, be that any of the cards. So how do I set up the
    network clock select/participate commands.
    Anyone done this scenario and got it working OK?

    Happy new Year to the group
    Bob
    , Dec 29, 2005

  2. Guest

    I don't really understand this myself however
    since there have been no other
    my own question after.

    I assume that in this situation
    you use the default of "clock source line" on the controller
    on both sides but I am not sure. I think that unless
    you have specially asked the telco to disable clocking
    that they will do it for you.

    However:-

    I am presently puzzling over something similar myself.

    MFT T1 as PRI installed in 0/0//0 (wic 0)

    network-clock-participate wic 0
    no network-clock-participate aim 0
    no network-clock-participate aim 1

    controller T1 0/0/0
    framing esf
    linecode b8zs
    pri-group timeslots 1-24 service mgcp

    interface Serial0/0/0:23
    no ip address
    isdn switch-type primary-5ess
    isdn incoming-voice voice
    isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager
    no cdp enable

    vgw1#sh netw
    Network Clock Configuration
    ---------------------------
    Priority Clock Source Clock State Clock Type
    10 Backplane GOOD PLL

    Current Primary Clock Source
    ---------------------------
    Priority Clock Source Clock State Clock Type
    10 Backplane GOOD PLL

    My best guess is that this extra clocking stuff
    (over Plain Old Clocking) is all to do with
    the Drop and Insert (DI) feature which allows T/E1
    channels to be directly 'Copied' between trunks.
    In that case all participating trunks need to use
    the same clock source.

    Maybe you don't need to use it for ordinary data
    use of T/E1s.

    So my question is:-
    should I have a

    network-clock-select 1 T1 0/0/0

    statement.

    We have only the single T1 and use is as a PRI
    as can be seen above.

    Maybe I will do a TAC case after the break.
    , Dec 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Hi,
    I seem to remember reading on CCO that they recommend you specify the
    clock source even though I think it defaults to the card anyway.
    As I've said I find the descriptions on CCO somewhat lacking.
    In my case, because it's G703, one end clocks the other but with three
    dual cards I'm not sure if multiple clocks are causing the issue.

    Happy New Year
    Bob
    , Dec 31, 2005