clocking computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joevan, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. joevan

    joevan Guest

    I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
    problems.
    I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
    safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
    Anyone know if it is possible?

    Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)

    Motherboard
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1913 MHz (5.75 x 333)
    Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio,
    LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 400
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (02/03/04)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

    Display
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
    3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)

    Multimedia
    Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface

    Storage
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y060M0 SCSI Disk Device (60 GB, 7200 RPM,
    Serial-ATA/150)
    Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352N

    Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 58643 MB (52517 MB free)

    Input
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
    Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

    Peripherals
    Printer HP DeskJet 720C

    joevan, Aug 5, 2004

  2. joevan

    ICee Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
    > problems.

    Excellent. You now know that all the hardware is solid and it's ok to
    try an overclock.

    > I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
    > safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
    > Anyone know if it is possible?

    Good morning, joevan. First, you have PC2700 (166 MHz) memory, and it's
    doubtful it will run at a memory buss speed of 200 MHz. You probably
    will be able to bump the FSB/memory buss up over 166 MHz, but you will
    likely have to increase the memory voltage and the CPU voltage.
    First, increase the CPU core voltage to 1.75V: this should give it
    enough to run at a faster speed. It will not hurt to leave it set at
    that voltage as long as the CPU temp is reasonable.
    It's best to do this in steps, so try 170 MHz and see how it runs. If
    it's not stable, increase the memory voltage (Vdimm) by the smallest
    increment, then try again. If it's not stable, increase Vdimm again by
    the smallest increment, etc. If it's then stable at 170 MHz, try 175
    MHz, etc.
    The memory buss can be set to run at a different speed from the FSB, but
    running asynchronously like that will not give you as much of a boost as
    running them in sync (1:1).
    Another tool that will help is Memtest86 [ www.memtest86.com ]. This
    will determine if the memory is running without errors at the increased
    speed. If it runs ok, then boot into Windows and run Prime95 to
    determine if the system is stable. If not, then you may have to
    increase the CPU voltage and/or the memory voltage again (incrementally)
    till it is.

    ICee, Aug 5, 2004

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:37:19 -0400, "ICee" <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
    >> problems.

    >Excellent. You now know that all the hardware is solid and it's ok to
    >try an overclock.
    >
    >> I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
    >> safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
    >> Anyone know if it is possible?

    >Good morning, joevan. First, you have PC2700 (166 MHz) memory, and it's
    >doubtful it will run at a memory buss speed of 200 MHz. You probably
    >will be able to bump the FSB/memory buss up over 166 MHz, but you will
    >likely have to increase the memory voltage and the CPU voltage.
    >First, increase the CPU core voltage to 1.75V: this should give it
    >enough to run at a faster speed. It will not hurt to leave it set at
    >that voltage as long as the CPU temp is reasonable.
    >It's best to do this in steps, so try 170 MHz and see how it runs. If
    >it's not stable, increase the memory voltage (Vdimm) by the smallest
    >increment, then try again. If it's not stable, increase Vdimm again by
    >the smallest increment, etc. If it's then stable at 170 MHz, try 175
    >MHz, etc.
    >The memory buss can be set to run at a different speed from the FSB, but
    >running asynchronously like that will not give you as much of a boost as
    >running them in sync (1:1).
    >Another tool that will help is Memtest86 [ www.memtest86.com ]. This
    >will determine if the memory is running without errors at the increased
    >speed. If it runs ok, then boot into Windows and run Prime95 to
    >determine if the system is stable. If not, then you may have to
    >increase the CPU voltage and/or the memory voltage again (incrementally)
    >till it is.

    I have one question, and it involves the settings between 166 and 200.
    I have been in and tried but don't want to change too much until I can
    figure it out. Do you know what I have to do to get to those figures?
    May be a strange question but I am just being careful.
    joevan

    joevan, Aug 5, 2004
  4. With PC2700 DDR, you may be able to overclock. I have spent the last 8
    months with 2 x 512MB DDR333
    from Kingston running at the 200MHx FSB for my P4 2.8C with no problems at
    all. If it is DDR333 that is
    backward compatible to DDR266, it may not work as mine did. Check in your
    BIOS - try setting the CPU-to-RAM ratio at 5:4 and leave the FSB at 200

    Artless Malefactor, Aug 5, 2004
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:10:09 -0400, "Artless Malefactor"
    <> wrote:

    >With PC2700 DDR, you may be able to overclock. I have spent the last 8
    >months with 2 x 512MB DDR333
    >from Kingston running at the 200MHx FSB for my P4 2.8C with no problems at
    >all. If it is DDR333 that is
    >backward compatible to DDR266, it may not work as mine did. Check in your
    >BIOS - try setting the CPU-to-RAM ratio at 5:4 and leave the FSB at 200
    >
    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >> I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
    >> problems.
    >> I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
    >> safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
    >> Anyone know if it is possible?
    >>

    >> Computer
    >> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    >> OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    >> Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    >>
    >> Motherboard
    >> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1913 MHz (5.75 x 333)
    >> Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio,
    >> LAN)
    >> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 400
    >> System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    >> BIOS Type Award (02/03/04)
    >> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    >> Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    >> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    >>
    >> Display
    >> Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
    >> 3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
    >>
    >> Multimedia
    >> Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface
    >>
    >> Storage
    >> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    >> Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y060M0 SCSI Disk Device (60 GB, 7200 RPM,
    >> Serial-ATA/150)
    >> Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352N
    >>
    >> Partitions
    >> C: (NTFS) 58643 MB (52517 MB free)
    >>
    >> Input
    >> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
    >> Keyboard
    >> Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    >>

    >> Peripherals
    >> Printer HP DeskJet 720C

    I got it up to 186 and below are my numbers. How is it looking?
    joevan

    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
    Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
    Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

    Temperatures
    Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
    CPU 53 °C (127 °F)
    CPU Diode 73 °C (163 °F)

    Cooling Fans
    CPU 3375 RPM

    Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.74 V
    CPU Aux 1.74 V
    +3.3 V 3.26 V
    +5 V 4.81 V
    +12 V 12.42 V
    -12 V -12.33 V
    -5 V -4.67 V

    joevan, Aug 6, 2004
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:21:10 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1913 MHz (5.75 x 333)
    >>> Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio,
    >>> LAN)
    >>> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 400
    >>> System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    >>> BIOS Type Award (02/03/04)
    >>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    >>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    >>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    >>>
    >>> Display
    >>> Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
    >>> 3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
    >>>
    >>> Multimedia
    >>> Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface
    >>>
    >>> Storage
    >>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    >>> Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y060M0 SCSI Disk Device (60 GB, 7200 RPM,
    >>> Serial-ATA/150)
    >>> Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352N
    >>>
    >>> Partitions
    >>> C: (NTFS) 58643 MB (52517 MB free)
    >>>
    >>> Input
    >>> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
    >>> Keyboard
    >>> Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    >>>

    >>> Peripherals
    >>> Printer HP DeskJet 720C
    >>>

    >I got it up to 186 and below are my numbers. How is it looking?
    >joevan
    >
    >Sensor Properties
    >Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
    >Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
    >Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X
    >
    >Temperatures
    >Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
    >CPU 53 °C (127 °F)
    >CPU Diode 73 °C (163 °F)
    >
    >Cooling Fans
    >CPU 3375 RPM
    >
    >Voltage Values
    >CPU Core 1.74 V
    >CPU Aux 1.74 V
    >+3.3 V 3.26 V
    >+5 V 4.81 V
    >+12 V 12.42 V
    >-12 V -12.33 V
    >-5 V -4.67 V

    Running prime 95 using 100 % cpu usage and this is what I am getting
    at 186.
    joevan

    Temperatures
    Motherboard 29 °C (84 °F)
    CPU 53 °C (127 °F)
    CPU Diode 70 °C (158 °F)

    Cooling Fans
    CPU 3835 RPM

    Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.73 V
    CPU Aux 1.73 V
    +3.3 V 3.26 V
    +5 V 4.87 V
    +12 V 12.35 V
    -12 V -12.27 V
    -5 V -4.65 V
    The fan has speeded up so it seems to be working ok?
    I wonder if I could add more? I don't want to stress things too much.
    joevan

    joevan, Aug 6, 2004
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: clocking computer: just wondering if this is going ok.

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:29:35 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >Sensor Properties on restart

    Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
    Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
    Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

    Temperatures
    Motherboard 27 °C (81 °F)
    CPU 41 °C (106 °F)
    CPU Diode 52 °C (126 °F)

    Cooling Fans
    CPU 3444 RPM

    Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.76 V
    CPU Aux 1.76 V
    +3.3 V 3.26 V
    +5 V 4.97 V
    +12 V 12.16 V
    -12 V -12.08 V
    -5 V -4.58 V

    Processor Properties
    Manufacturer AMD
    Version AMD Athlon(tm) XP
    External Clock 189 MHz
    Maximum Clock 3000 MHz
    Current Clock 2174 MHz
    Type Central Processor
    Voltage 1.7 V
    Status Enabled
    Upgrade ZIF
    Socket Designation Socket A

    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
    Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
    Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

    >Now with prime 95 running and 100% cpu usage. same ext clock of 189 MHz

    Temperatures
    Motherboard 27 °C (81 °F)
    CPU 41 °C (106 °F)
    CPU Diode 62 °C (144 °F)

    Cooling Fans
    CPU 2518 RPM

    Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.76 V
    CPU Aux 1.74 V
    +3.3 V 3.26 V
    +5 V 4.81 V
    +12 V 12.42 V
    -12 V -12.33 V
    -5 V -4.67 V

    joevan, Aug 7, 2004
  8. joevan

    ICee Guest

    Re: clocking computer: just wondering if this is going ok.

    Looking good, joevan. That's a really good overclock for PC2700 memory.
    Temps are very good also. You're a pro at overclocking now. :)

    ICee, Aug 7, 2004
  9. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: clocking computer: just wondering if this is going ok.

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:36:36 -0400, "ICee" <>
    wrote:

    >Looking good, joevan. That's a really good overclock for PC2700 memory.
    >Temps are very good also. You're a pro at overclocking now. :)
    >
    >joevan wrote:
    >> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:29:35 GMT, joevan <>
    >> wrote:

    Thanks again for the feedback. Below is after10 hours of 100% cpu
    useage with prime 95. I am going to go higher and see how it is I
    think 195 and let it be. If that is not good then back to 189.

    Temperatures
    Motherboard 27 °C (81 °F)
    CPU 52 °C (126 °F)
    CPU Diode 70 °C (158 °F)