    Regards.

    Chris.
    Please remove MAPSON (NOSPAM backwards) to reply to me by email.

    Chris Mitchell, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Chris Mitchell wrote:
    > I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    > after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    > an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
    > doing this.
    >
    > I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
    > occasionally run Spybot.
    >
    > How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

    Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
    on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
    probably being generous in that wild guess.

    Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
    answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
    that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
    windows systemts:

    http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfolio/rockettime/free.htm

    The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
    needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
    paid version, its a great little tool.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Chris Mitchell

    kulm_nd Guest

    CPU cycles all used up? I used to lose 10 minutes for every hour online with
    a PII running Win 98 and it was just too many programs running.

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Chris Mitchell

    Joe Reasor Guest

    Chris Mitchell wrote:
    > I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    > after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    > an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
    > doing this.
    >
    > I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
    > occasionally run Spybot.
    >
    > How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

    Freaky. I'm running the same things and I loose (I'm narrowing it down)
    exactly 3 hours every saturday night. Wake up sunday and have to set
    the clock up 3 hours...

    --
    joe reasor

    Joe Reasor, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Chris Mitchell

    dolphinling Guest

    Joe Reasor wrote:
    > Chris Mitchell wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    >> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might
    >> be doing this.
    >>
    >> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
    >> occasionally run Spybot.
    >>
    >> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
    >>

    > Freaky. I'm running the same things and I loose (I'm narrowing it down)
    > exactly 3 hours every saturday night. Wake up sunday and have to set
    > the clock up 3 hours...

    Is Saturday night by any chance when your anti-virus runs?

    dolphinling, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Chris Mitchell

    Ken Russell Guest

    That's a bit like taking a bath once a week!

    Ken Russell

    "dolphinling" <> wrote in message
    | Is Saturday night by any chance when your anti-virus runs?

    ---

    Ken Russell, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Chris Mitchell

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Chris Mitchell wrote:
    >
    >>I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >>after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    >>an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
    >>doing this.
    >>
    >>I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
    >>occasionally run Spybot.
    >>
    >>How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
    >>

    > Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
    > on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
    > probably being generous in that wild guess.
    >
    > Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
    > answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
    > that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
    > windows systemts:
    >
    > http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfolio/rockettime/free.htm
    >
    > The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
    > needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
    > paid version, its a great little tool.
    >
    > Lee

    And for those running Windows XP, it has Web clock sync built-in.

    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html

    Ed Mullen, Feb 20, 2004
  8. Chris Mitchell

    Tony Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >>Chris Mitchell wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >>>after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    >>>an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
    >>>doing this.
    >>>
    >>>I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
    >>>occasionally run Spybot.
    >>>
    >>>How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
    >>>

    >>Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
    >>on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
    >>probably being generous in that wild guess.
    >>
    >>Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
    >>answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
    >>that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
    >>windows systemts:
    >>
    >>http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfolio/rockettime/free.htm
    >>
    >>The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
    >>needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
    >>paid version, its a great little tool.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > And for those running Windows XP, it has Web clock sync built-in.

    That only works if you are not on a network domain. As a stand alone
    machine, it does work. For folks on a domain, there are any number of
    shareware/freeware time synch programs out there.

    Tony, Feb 20, 2004
  9. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Chris Mitchell wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    >> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might
    >> be doing this.
    >>
    >> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
    >> occasionally run Spybot.
    >>
    >> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
    >>

    > Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
    > on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
    > probably being generous in that wild guess.
    >
    > Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
    > answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
    > that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
    > windows systemts:
    >
    > http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfolio/rockettime/free.htm
    >
    > The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
    > needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
    > paid version, its a great little tool.
    >
    > Lee

    I am aware of this possibility, but I'm more concerned about possible
    security breaches associated with this. I know that this isn't a
    question of PC clock drifting out of synch over a period.

    So the question remains how are some sites able to do this and how do I
    plug that particular hole?

    Chris Mitchell, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Chris Mitchell

    James Moe Guest

    Chris Mitchell wrote:
    > I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    > after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    > an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
    > doing this.

    Keep better track of what you are doing. Really, that's the best way to
    find the problem, if indeed it is something that is done by web scripting.
    Periodically check the clock for sudden changes of time. Or a gradual lag.
    This type of problem takes, er, time and patience to narrow down.
    Other posters seem to indicate it is a Windows OS problem: it just gets
    to busy to bother with updating the clock. Truly bizarre, if true; other
    OSes have been keeping (more or less) good time since the '50s.

    --
    jim moe

    James Moe, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Chris Mitchell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Joe Reasor wrote:

    > Chris Mitchell wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    >> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might
    >> be doing this.
    >>
    >> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
    >> occasionally run Spybot.
    >>
    >> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
    >>

    > Freaky. I'm running the same things and I loose (I'm narrowing it down)
    > exactly 3 hours every saturday night. Wake up sunday and have to set
    > the clock up 3 hours...

    So what do you have scheduled for Friday night? Something like a virus
    scan? Defrag? Sometimes these programs can really eat up cpu cycles so
    that Windows doesn't get to update the clock.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 21, 2004
  12. Chris Mitchell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ken Russell wrote:

    > That's a bit like taking a bath once a week!
    >
    > Ken Russell
    >
    > "dolphinling" <> wrote in message
    > | Is Saturday night by any chance when your anti-virus runs?
    >

    > ---

    You mean you bathe more often?

    Grin.

    I have a full virus scan of all (0ver 400,000) files every friday night.
    Other than that, only incoming files are scanned.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 21, 2004
  13. Chris Mitchell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    James Moe wrote:

    > Chris Mitchell wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    >> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might
    >> be doing this.
    >>

    > Keep better track of what you are doing. Really, that's the best way
    > to find the problem, if indeed it is something that is done by web
    > scripting. Periodically check the clock for sudden changes of time. Or a
    > gradual lag. This type of problem takes, er, time and patience to narrow
    > down.
    > Other posters seem to indicate it is a Windows OS problem: it just
    > gets to busy to bother with updating the clock. Truly bizarre, if true;
    > other OSes have been keeping (more or less) good time since the '50s.

    Actually, computer clocks, until recently, have been notoriously
    inaccurate. I worked with mainframes for almost 40 years and they only
    became accurate when a module was added to check and reset the clock
    using NIST across the internet. Amazing that a multi-million dollar
    mainframe couldn't keep time as well as a $10 wristwatch....

    Ron Hunter, Feb 21, 2004
  14. Chris Mitchell

    JT Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:58:48 -0600, Tony <>
    wrote:

    >Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>>Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
    >>>on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
    >>>probably being generous in that wild guess.
    >>>
    >>>Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
    >>>answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
    >>>that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
    >>>windows systemts:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfolio/rockettime/free.htm
    >>>
    >>>The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
    >>>needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
    >>>paid version, its a great little tool.
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >> And for those running Windows XP, it has Web clock sync built-in.
    >>

    >That only works if you are not on a network domain. As a stand alone
    >machine, it does work. For folks on a domain, there are any number of
    >shareware/freeware time synch programs out there.

    On a properly set up domain, The domain controllers sync with a web time
    server, and the clients sync with the domain controller. That is, of course
    assuming a properly setup domain ;)

    JT

    JT, Feb 21, 2004
  15. Chris Mitchell

    James Moe Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Other posters seem to indicate it is a Windows OS problem: it just
    >> gets to busy to bother with updating the clock. Truly bizarre, if
    >> true; other OSes have been keeping (more or less) good time since the
    >> '50s.

    > Actually, computer clocks, until recently, have been notoriously
    > inaccurate. I worked with mainframes for almost 40 years and they only
    > became accurate when a module was added to check and reset the clock
    > using NIST across the internet. Amazing that a multi-million dollar
    > mainframe couldn't keep time as well as a $10 wristwatch....

    True, their accuracy left much to be desired. Many large computers could
    not keep time without losing/gaining 1 minute per day.
    But to lose an hour while browsing is egregious. There is something
    happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear ....

    --
    jim moe

    James Moe, Feb 21, 2004
  16. Chris Mitchell

    BoB Guest

    "I recently purchased a new Dell and had the same problem.
    Searching Dell's support site I found a patch to cure the
    problem. Below is the only explanation on Dell's website, so I
    have no idea what the problem is or what the cure is. The
    patch did take care of my problem: "Description: Dell Time
    Keeping Utility. Dell systems with factory installed Microsoft
    Windows XP Pro or Home may lose time. Time loss rate has been
    reported as high as a 20 minute loss per hour...."

    Others suggested this link, which gives an indication of how
    widespread clock problems are on the Dell 8200 line:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dell 8200 problems

    May not be relevant to you, but it may be to someone following
    the thread.

    BoB

    BoB, Feb 22, 2004
  17. Chris Mitchell

    Ed Mullen Guest

    James Moe wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>> Other posters seem to indicate it is a Windows OS problem: it just
    >>>gets to busy to bother with updating the clock. Truly bizarre, if
    >>>true; other OSes have been keeping (more or less) good time since the
    >>>'50s.

    >>Actually, computer clocks, until recently, have been notoriously
    >>inaccurate. I worked with mainframes for almost 40 years and they only
    >>became accurate when a module was added to check and reset the clock
    >>using NIST across the internet. Amazing that a multi-million dollar
    >>mainframe couldn't keep time as well as a $10 wristwatch....

    > True, their accuracy left much to be desired. Many large computers could
    > not keep time without losing/gaining 1 minute per day.
    > But to lose an hour while browsing is egregious. There is something
    > happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear ....

    .... there's a man with a gun over there
    tellin' me I got to beware!

    ;-)

    Ed Mullen, Feb 22, 2004
  18. Chris Mitchell

    James Moe Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> But to lose an hour while browsing is egregious. There is something
    >>happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear ....

    > ... there's a man with a gun over there
    > tellin' me I got to beware!

    You'd better... Stop! Hey, what's that sound?
    Everybody look what's goin' down

    --
    jim moe

    James Moe, Feb 22, 2004
  19. Chris Mitchell

    donutbandit Guest

    BoB <> wrote in

    > I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set
    >back an hour.

    Could be malicious hackers. You never know.

    donutbandit, Feb 22, 2004
  20. Chris Mitchell

    Jason Guest

    * donutbandit <>:
    > BoB <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >>after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set
    >>back an hour.

    > Could be malicious hackers. You never know.

    More likely ferrets trying to hack in.

    Jason

    Jason, Feb 22, 2004