    the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
    need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    Mike, Lincoln UK.
    Michael Wood, Jun 30, 2005

  2. Michael Wood

    doS Guest

    because of the time zone difference it wont work.

    doS, Jun 30, 2005

  3. Michael Wood

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
    > hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
    > program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
    > at
    > the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
    > need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    > Mike, Lincoln UK.

    First, find a SMALL freeware program (search Google) that plays wav files.
    Then use the Windows Task Scheduler to have that program play your file(s)
    on a scheduled basis.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2005
  4. Michael Wood

    Old Gringo Guest

    Michael Wood wrote:
    > I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
    > hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create a
    > program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play at
    > the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
    > need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    > Mike, Lincoln UK.

    This looks like fun:
    http://www.softaward.com/3236.html

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Michael Wood

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Michael Wood wrote:
    >> I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
    >> hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
    >> program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
    >> at
    >> the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
    >> need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much
    >> appreciated.
    >> Mike, Lincoln UK.
    >>

    > This looks like fun:
    > http://www.softaward.com/3236.html

    While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
    program anymore, but someone should do this.

    Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled". But
    what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?

    Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
    turn on a PC at a scheduled time.

    Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
    Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
    facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
    Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)
    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Michael Wood

    Old Gringo Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Michael Wood wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
    >>>hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
    >>>program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
    >>>at
    >>>the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
    >>>need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much
    >>>appreciated.
    >>>Mike, Lincoln UK.
    >>>

    >>This looks like fun:
    >>http://www.softaward.com/3236.html
    >>

    > While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
    > program anymore, but someone should do this.
    >
    > Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled". But
    > what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
    >
    > Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
    > turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
    >
    > Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
    > Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
    > facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
    > Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)

    Very Cool idea, why don't you submit it to Mozilla, bet they could
    work wonders with it. There are a lot of organizations,and private
    individuals from all over the world involved with them. Surely
    someone will pick it up and make a go for it. ??

    Old Gringo, Jun 30, 2005
  7. Michael Wood

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>>This looks like fun:
    >>>http://www.softaward.com/3236.html
    >>>

    >> While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
    >> program anymore, but someone should do this.
    >>
    >> Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled".
    >> But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
    >>
    >> Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
    >> turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
    >>
    >> Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
    >> Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
    >> facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
    >> Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)
    >>

    > Very Cool idea, why don't you submit it to Mozilla, bet they could work
    > wonders with it. There are a lot of organizations,and private individuals
    > from all over the world involved with them. Surely someone will pick it
    > up and make a go for it. ??

    Not a bad idea. It really is too bad I quit programming at the end of the
    DOS days <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2005
  8. Michael Wood

    Old Gringo Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>>While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
    >>>program anymore, but someone should do this.
    >>>
    >>>Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled".
    >>>But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
    >>>
    >>>Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
    >>>turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
    >>>
    >>>Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
    >>>Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
    >>>facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
    >>>Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)
    >>>

    >>Very Cool idea, why don't you submit it to Mozilla, bet they could work
    >>wonders with it. There are a lot of organizations,and private individuals
    >>from all over the world involved with them. Surely someone will pick it
    >>up and make a go for it. ??
    >>

    > Not a bad idea. It really is too bad I quit programming at the end of the
    > DOS days <g>

    :) May be a good time to get back in the swing.

    Old Gringo, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Michael Wood

    Ionizer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
    > program anymore, but someone should do this.
    >
    > Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be
    > "scheduled". But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
    >
    > Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability
    > to turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
    >
    > Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
    > Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
    > facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
    > Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)

    Spyware and Trojan vendors would be very interested also. Infected
    users would now not be safe even when their computers were turned off.
    Darkened homes and offices across the country would light up every
    morning at 3:00 as zombie computers woke up to play their zombie games.

    Aside from my deftness with a VCR, I know nothing about programming-
    would such a piece of software be as easy to create or as conceivable as
    you make it sound?

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jun 30, 2005
  10. Michael Wood

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
    >> program anymore, but someone should do this.
    >>
    >> Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled".
    >> But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
    >>
    >> Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
    >> turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
    >>
    >> Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
    >> Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
    >> facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
    >> Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)

    > Spyware and Trojan vendors would be very interested also. Infected users
    > would now not be safe even when their computers were turned off. Darkened
    > homes and offices across the country would light up every morning at 3:00
    > as zombie computers woke up to play their zombie games.

    <VBG> You're right, of course. Many tools can be abused just like that.

    > Aside from my deftness with a VCR, I know nothing about programming- would
    > such a piece of software be as easy to create or as conceivable as you
    > make it sound?

    Possible? Yes. Easy? Probably not. Here's why:

    Regarding possibility: In the early years of PC's with CMOS settings for
    BIOS parameters (i.e., 286 and above processor based motherboards), many of
    them (clear up to Pentium class! ref. Compaq having setup in custom
    partitions on their HDs) used software to do setup rather than "firmware".
    (For this discussion, the difference between firmware and software is this:
    firmware is program code embedded in the hardware, software is program code
    removable from the computer: floppy disk, CD, HD, etc.) So it was obviously
    possible to access the memory storage points in the motherboard to
    manipulate the data stored there. In fact, this is still done with today's
    modern operating systems: if you change the time/date on a system, that
    change is also made in CMOS so that when you reboot, the time retains that
    change. So, yes, I believe it should be possible.

    As for easy? Well, that would depend on the motherboard manufacturers (or
    rather, the BIOS programmers.) Early on, many systems stored their CMOS
    settings in the same format as other systems. The date, time, HD type, etc.,
    were positioned in the same bit sequence on many different systems. When I
    didn't have the correct software for setting the CMOS on a certain machine,
    quite often a setup program for someone else's different brand system would
    still allow me to alter the CMOS settings. However, I don't know how much
    compatibility remains. I would guess that with the development of
    on-motherboard BIOS setup programs, individual BIOS programmers deviated
    from "the norm". And with the high level of customization of hardware for
    specific vendors (Dell has custom BIOS for their motherboards, even though
    they are made by someone else, etc.) that would further exacerbate the
    problem.

    So it would require a programmer to know the CMOS parameters of a wide range
    of common BIOS vendors, and even differences between motherboard models in
    the same manufacturer's product line. That, I believe, would present quite
    an obstacle. But, of course, I could be wrong: maybe the current CMOS
    layouts aren't as dis-similar as I suppose.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 30, 2005
  11. Michael Wood

    Pee Jay Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Wood"
    <> wrote:

    >I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
    >hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create a
    >program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play at
    >the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
    >need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    >Mike, Lincoln UK.

    it has all been done already. Go to:-

    http://www.chapter124.com/bigben.htm

    and download bigben.exe

    It worls a treat for me.

    No charge for it - author just wants an email

    From: Pee Jay

    At Fabulous Forresters Beach
    Central Coast NSW
    Australia
    Pee Jay, Jun 30, 2005
  12. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>>While we're on the subject of "clocks", I had a thought today. I don't
    >>>program anymore, but someone should do this.
    >>>
    >>>Here's the dilemma: most AV scans and spyware scans can be "scheduled".
    >>>But what if the PC is off during the scheduled time?
    >>>
    >>>Here's an observation: most recent motherboard BIOS's have the ability to
    >>>turn on a PC at a scheduled time.
    >>>
    >>>Here's the suggestion: write a program that integrates with the Task
    >>>Scheduler of Windows which programs that BIOS turn-on time in order to
    >>>facilitate running of scheduled scans (then sell the program to MS or
    >>>Symantec or McAfee and make a few bucks...)
    >>>

    >>Very Cool idea, why don't you submit it to Mozilla, bet they could work
    >>wonders with it. There are a lot of organizations,and private individuals
    >>from all over the world involved with them. Surely someone will pick it
    >>up and make a go for it. ??
    >>

    > Not a bad idea. It really is too bad I quit programming at the end of the
    > DOS days <g>

    Go for it, I use a lot of DOS and PERL because it runs an awful lot
    faster than "windows" stuff.
    And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Michael Wood

    Top Guest

    Pee Jay <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Wood"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters
    >>+ each hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is
    >>possible to create a program, linked to the PC clock, so that the
    >>appropriate sound will play at the hours and quarters ? I have no
    >>experience with programming, so would need to do this as simply as
    >>possible. Any tips would be much appreciated. Mike, Lincoln UK.

    > it has all been done already. Go to:-
    >
    > http://www.chapter124.com/bigben.htm
    >
    > and download bigben.exe
    >
    > It worls a treat for me.
    >
    > No charge for it - author just wants an email

    Excellent!

    Thanks much,
    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top, Jun 30, 2005
  14. Michael Wood

    Top Guest

    Top, Jun 30, 2005
  15. Michael Wood

    Guest

    On Top <> wrote:

    |>Pee Jay <> wrote in
    |>
    |>> http://www.chapter124.com/bigben.htm
    |>
    |>BTW, I did email the gentleman to thank him for the program.

    So have I, a looong time ago. I think it was Win95 I download'd this
    for, never really used the program but kept and still use the chime
    Wav.
    --
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A true friend will help you bury
  16. Michael Wood

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Pee Jay" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Wood"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters + each
    >>hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible to create
    >>program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate sound will play
    >>at
    >>the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with programming, so would
    >>need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.
    >>Mike, Lincoln UK.

    > it has all been done already. Go to:-
    >
    > http://www.chapter124.com/bigben.htm
    >
    > and download bigben.exe
    >
    > It worls a treat for me.
    >
    > No charge for it - author just wants an email

    Ah, but where's the fun and learning experience doing it *that* way?
    Toolman Tim, Jul 1, 2005
  17. Michael Wood

    tango Guest

    "Michael Wood" <> wrote in

    > I have recorded the chimes of a clock so that I have the quarters +
    > each hour in seperate .wav files. Does anyone know if it is possible
    > to create a program, linked to the PC clock, so that the appropriate
    > sound will play at the hours and quarters ? I have no experience with
    > programming, so would need to do this as simply as possible. Any tips
    > would be much appreciated. Mike, Lincoln UK.

    Yes, just download WorldTime which will play chimes or bells in 15 min
    intervals. You can set up as many cities from various countries to display
    the time on screen as you wish, and the display can be fully customized
    also has world map feature which gives mileage in various formats and
    identifies countries and states.
    This is freeware and is great for kids learning geography. It has other
    features and alarms built in as well as a lap timer which can be used to
    time various functions.
    Probably the best multifunction freeware I have seen.
    You should be able to find it with a google search.
    tango, Jul 5, 2005
  18. Michael Wood

    Mike Easter Guest

    tango wrote:

    > Yes, just download WorldTime

    http://www.pawprint.net/wt/ WorldTime -- Dubbed "The 'Swiss Army
    Knife' of world clocks" with unlimited configurable clocks, [...] Allows
    user configurable optional chimes every 60, 30 and/or 15 minutes.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 5, 2005