Clock in system tray is erratic

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by KungFusion, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. KungFusion

    KungFusion Guest

    bolero wrote:

    > My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
    > Is it symptomatic of a virus?

    Somne information might help people suggest solutions
    or places to look. Such as. What kind of PC is it?
    What operating system is running? Do you leave it
    powered down completely for long periods? etc..

    Psychic we ain't.

    KungFusion, Jun 10, 2004

  2. KungFusion

    bolero Guest

    bolero, Jun 11, 2004

  3. What operating system?

    Paul J. Veres, Jun 11, 2004
  4. KungFusion

    KungFusion Guest

    bolero wrote:

    > My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
    > Is it symptomatic of a virus?

    btw-if you're on Win9x and the clock doesn't update
    in the tray until you put the mouse cursor on it,
    then search www.annoyances.org. I remember this
    happening to me on Win98 but I forget what fixed
    it. I remember that I found info about it there
    though.

    If the actual time is wrong then somebody could be
    messing with your CMOS or you could have a battery
    issue. Usually the batteries last for years unless
    you leave the PC powered off for long periods.

    KungFusion, Jun 11, 2004
  5. KungFusion

    °Mike° Guest

    If your clock is losing time during operation, it is
    being affected by some software; Norton bloatware
    is known to do this.

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:28:22 +0000 (UTC), in
    <caaqqm$bvt$>
    bolero scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  6. KungFusion

    Juan Pérez Guest

    KungFusion <> wrote in message
    > bolero wrote:
    >
    >> My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any
    >> pointers? Is it symptomatic of a virus?

    > Somne information might help people suggest solutions
    > or places to look. Such as. What kind of PC is it?
    > What operating system is running? Do you leave it
    > powered down completely for long periods? etc..
    >
    > Psychic we ain't.

    TINW

    --
    Juan

    Juan Pérez, Jun 11, 2004
  7. KungFusion

    Redman Guest

    "bolero" <> wrote in message
    > My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
    > Is it symptomatic of a virus?

    How old is the PC? Ther CMOS battery could be on the way out. You could
    replace it if it's 3 or 4 years old. You could also try and synch it with
    one of those Atomic Clock programs that you can download, install, connect
    to the net and it'll keep your clock at the correct time. It'll also show
    how much time is being lost in any hour, day etc.

    HTH

    Redman

    Redman, Jun 11, 2004
  8. KungFusion

    Guest

    You could also have a bad or cheap oscillator on the MB. My last
    system couldn't keep the time with any accuracy. My new system keeps
    accurate time.

    >My clock seems to lose time - even when the computer is on. Any pointers?
    >Is it symptomatic of a virus?

    , Jun 12, 2004