    "Pack" was used. "Admin" was used. . .and so on and so on.

    Are we helpless against this malicious junk?

    Martin
    Starstuffed, Sep 19, 2003

  2. "Starstuffed" <> wrote in message
    news:C7Fab.9458$...
    > I got more than 100 of the virus laden, bogus "Microsoft Critical Update"
    > messages in my email overnight. My filters were useless since the from

    and
    > the subject lines were different in most all of them. "MS" was used.
    > "Pack" was used. "Admin" was used. . .and so on and so on.
    >
    > Are we helpless against this malicious junk?
    >

    > Martin

    set your filters by the small body messages, they are varied
    but they repeat quite a bit. Also if you want to upgrade
    to outlook express 6 , it has a filter than will sent any email
    with an attachment to the trash.

    Good luck
    JS

    John Schmeckleheimer, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Starstuffed

    Boomer Guest

    Starstuffed said:

    > I got more than 100 of the virus laden, bogus "Microsoft
    > Critical Update" messages in my email overnight. My filters
    > were useless since the from and the subject lines were different
    > in most all of them. "MS" was used. "Pack" was used. "Admin"
    > was used. . .and so on and so on.
    >
    > Are we helpless against this malicious junk?
    >

    > Martin

    Use another e-mail client?
    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Starstuffed

    Jim Tiberio Guest

    > Are we helpless against this malicious junk?
    >

    > Martin

    I think so, if I let my account sit for more than an hour with out deleting
    anything I max out my available 10 MB on my Hotmail account and I only use
    about 2 MB. I also see they are sending it out in my name as I'm getting
    pounded with undeliverable messages. Time to set up a dummy account for
    usenet.
    Jim Tiberio, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Starstuffed

    Wendy Guest

    such as? I use Incredimail and Im getting BOMBED,,,
    wen

    Wendy, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Don't feel bad, I get more viruses in my inbox now than spam! lol.
    Someone passed on a nice prog to me to see what email you get before
    you download it and it helps alot. try this, Magic Mail Monitor:

    http://www.geeba.org/magic/

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 19, 2003
  7. Starstuffed

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Starstuffed

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  9. On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:48:23 GMT, Boomer wrote
    > Starstuffed said:

    -snip-

    >> Are we helpless against this malicious junk?

    > Use another e-mail client?

    That does seem to work, but I'm not clear why it does -- what is it
    that blocks the receipt of such spam by those of us who are using other
    clients? (I use PocoMail, and so far I've not seen even a single piece
    of the current flood of fake-MS-notification spam.)

    I can understand how spam programs harvest addresses from OE's use of
    the Windows Address Book, but I know I'm in people's OE address books -
    - which I thought would make me a target.

    Although I'm very happy to be invisible to the spammers, I don't
    understand why my non-use of OE and the WAB makes my address less
    visible to them, when you'd have thought they'd have leeched my address
    from other people's address books.

    --
    Cheers, Harvey
    .....happily excluded from the spam loop.....
    Harvey Van Sickle, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Starstuffed

    trout Guest

    Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:48:23 GMT, Boomer wrote
    >> Starstuffed said:

    > -snip-
    >
    >>> Are we helpless against this malicious junk?

    >> Use another e-mail client?

    > That does seem to work, but I'm not clear why it does -- what is it
    > that blocks the receipt of such spam by those of us who are using
    > other clients? (I use PocoMail, and so far I've not seen even a
    > single piece of the current flood of fake-MS-notification spam.)
    >
    > I can understand how spam programs harvest addresses from OE's use of
    > the Windows Address Book, but I know I'm in people's OE address books
    > -
    > - which I thought would make me a target.
    >
    > Although I'm very happy to be invisible to the spammers, I don't
    > understand why my non-use of OE and the WAB makes my address less
    > visible to them, when you'd have thought they'd have leeched my
    > address from other people's address books.

    'Being visible' has nothing to do with using OE. I do; and haven't
    seen *one*.
    It's all about protecting your address. Don't use it on Usenet,
    don't use it to register products, and don't use a likely form like a
    common name, or initials and name, that will be generated by a
    'dictionary' attack.
    Other clients may be less vulnerable to attack; once the address is
    out there, and being used to send the virus.
    --
    "At least, for the inexperienced user."
    trout, Sep 19, 2003
  11. Starstuffed

    Mike M Guest

    Also if you want to upgrade
    to outlook express 6 , it has a filter than will sent any email
    with an attachment to the trash.
    = = = = = = = =
    Hey!..."I" have OE 6, and the phony MIcrosoft emails keep comin', and
    comin' and comin'.....where is that filter you're talking about??

    Mike M, Sep 20, 2003
  12. Starstuffed

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Starstuffed" <> wrote:

    >I got more than 100 of the virus laden, bogus "Microsoft Critical Update"
    >messages in my email overnight. My filters were useless since the from and
    >the subject lines were different in most all of them. "MS" was used.
    >"Pack" was used. "Admin" was used. . .and so on and so on.
    >
    >Are we helpless against this malicious junk?
    >

    >Martin

    Here is my OE message rule.

    It has been 100% effective for the past 2 days:

    Where the message body contains 'This is the qmail program'
    or 'Undelivered message to'
    or 'I'm sorry to have to inform you that I wasn't able to deliver your
    message'
    or 'I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message'
    or 'Undeliverable mail to'
    or 'all known security vulnerabilities'
    or 'Undelivered mail to' or 'Undeliverable message to'
    or 'I'm sorry I wasn't able to deliver your message'
    or 'Undeliverable to'
    or 'I'm afraid the message returned below'
    or 'Undelivered to'
    or 'An e-mail delivered to you contained a virus'
    Delete it
    and Stop processing more rules

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --