    doing it wrong?
    Any help greatly appreciated,

    MJ
    mcgyverjones, Apr 7, 2004

  2. mcgyverjones

    zbzbzb Guest

    >This seems like a fairly simple thing to do but I am having a pretty
    >frustrating time doing it. I just want to clip stills from DVDs to use in
    >graphics etc for personal use.
    >I am doing what I usually do to clip from games: hit "prt scrn" to send
    >screenshot to clipboard, then open in photoshop via file->clipboard.
    >The result is a screenshot of the player and either a black screen or a
    >cropped image that alters when increasing the %. I've tried a few players
    >(WM, Real, interactual ...) and have tried to save-as JPG to no avail.
    >Is this a copyright protection thing? Is there anyway around it? Am I just
    >doing it wrong?
    >Any help greatly appreciated,
    >
    >MJ

    Check the DVD software that you are using to play the DVD. If it's PowerDVD it
    has a feature to capture frames. It is on the toolbar.
    zbzbzb, Apr 7, 2004

  3. mcgyverjones

    Klaas Visser Guest

    On 07/04/04 13:49 mcgyverjones posted the following :

    > This seems like a fairly simple thing to do but I am having a pretty
    > frustrating time doing it. I just want to clip stills from DVDs to use in
    > graphics etc for personal use.
    > I am doing what I usually do to clip from games: hit "prt scrn" to send
    > screenshot to clipboard, then open in photoshop via file->clipboard.
    > The result is a screenshot of the player and either a black screen or a
    > cropped image that alters when increasing the %. I've tried a few players
    > (WM, Real, interactual ...) and have tried to save-as JPG to no avail.
    > Is this a copyright protection thing? Is there anyway around it? Am I just
    > doing it wrong?
    > Any help greatly appreciated,
    >
    > MJ

    Well, WinDVD has a capture function for this - while the movie is
    playing, you just press the capture button, and it saves a still for
    you. I'd be surprised if the other DVD players didn't have similar
    functionality.

    --
    cheers,
    Klaas

    Learning without thought is labour lost;
    Thought without learning is perilous.
    - Confucius
    Klaas Visser, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Yes, this is a copyright thing. What you are experiencing is
    Macrovision Protection. This keeps people from doing exactly what you
    are trying to do. Like what Klaas said, many dvd programs have built
    in screen capture abilities. Your other option is to purchase software
    that captures Direct-X screens. This is how dvd's are displayed on
    your computer, they use Direct-X overlays. The dvd screen is actually
    the color black, or pink, and sometimes green, the software then
    places the acutal movie footage where this color is in the screen and
    you are able to watch a movie.

    I've found the best software for caputring dvd stills is SnagIt
    http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp
    It works wonderfully and is the best tool to do what you are wanting.

    Martin Bishop, Apr 7, 2004
  5. mcgyverjones

    John Navas Guest

    In <iTKcc.5347$> on Tue, 6 Apr 2004 23:49:34
    -0400, "mcgyverjones" <mcgyverjones(spamout)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >This seems like a fairly simple thing to do but I am having a pretty
    >frustrating time doing it. I just want to clip stills from DVDs to use in
    >graphics etc for personal use.
    >I am doing what I usually do to clip from games: hit "prt scrn" to send
    >screenshot to clipboard, then open in photoshop via file->clipboard.
    >The result is a screenshot of the player and either a black screen or a
    >cropped image that alters when increasing the %. I've tried a few players
    >(WM, Real, interactual ...) and have tried to save-as JPG to no avail.
    >Is this a copyright protection thing? Is there anyway around it? Am I just
    >doing it wrong?
    >Any help greatly appreciated,

    Turn down video acceleration (Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced ->
    Troubleshoot) when you want to do a capture.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Apr 7, 2004
  6. mcgyverjones

    Uni Guest

    mcgyverjones wrote:
    > This seems like a fairly simple thing to do but I am having a pretty
    > frustrating time doing it. I just want to clip stills from DVDs to use in
    > graphics etc for personal use.
    > I am doing what I usually do to clip from games: hit "prt scrn" to send
    > screenshot to clipboard, then open in photoshop via file->clipboard.
    > The result is a screenshot of the player and either a black screen or a
    > cropped image that alters when increasing the %. I've tried a few players
    > (WM, Real, interactual ...) and have tried to save-as JPG to no avail.
    > Is this a copyright protection thing? Is there anyway around it? Am I just
    > doing it wrong?
    > Any help greatly appreciated,

    Has nothing to do with copyrights.

    DirectX is a lower level video component than the operating system.

    Uni

    Uni, Apr 7, 2004
  7. mcgyverjones

    mcgyverjones Guest

    "mcgyverjones" <mcgyverjones(spamout)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just want to clip stills from DVDs to use in
    > graphics etc for personal use.

    snip

    Thanks all. The winDVD route was the way to go. Hit "capture" and it
    delivers a bitmap to "my pictures" in a file called "winDVD captures".
    Couldn't be simpler!
    As to the legal concerns, I'm not in the USA anyway. Copyright laws are
    different in Canada (hello Kazaa!).

    MJ
    mcgyverjones, Apr 8, 2004