Clipped file download speed...browser ok....

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sno, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. sno

    sno Guest

    Win98SE

    I am a freeware junkie and download a lot of freeware to
    try out...if it messes up my computer I have a good
    backup always on hand to restore...

    I just realized that when I try to download files they are
    being clipped....I am not able to use all my bandwidth to
    download...it does not matter where I download a file from...

    I do not know when this happened as the backup I have does
    not fix it...it must have been awhile...

    Because of dirty lines I normally connect at 37K...I can
    browse using all my bandwidth, but when I download a file
    I am being clipped at 21K...if I browse while downloading
    I can use the whole bandwidth...what I suspect is happening
    is that my download port is being clipped...

    Ran virus checks...and ad-aware.....restored tcp/ip...
    using task info do not notice anything running in backround
    that might be causing...

    I do not know how port clipping occurs, so have no idea where
    to go next.....

    any help would be appreciated....thank you.....sno
    sno, Apr 7, 2004

  2. sno

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    sno <> wrote in news::

    > I do not know how port clipping occurs, so have no idea where
    > to go next.....

    You actually don't have a clue what you are talking about. Just because
    you can download at a set speed doesn't mean the server is going to send
    data to you that fast. Are you saying you are downloading at only 2.63
    KB/sec? Since you say you connect at 37K, I assume you are on dialup and
    you mean 37,000 bps, which is 4.6 kilobytes (KB) per second. Getting 3KB
    per second out of a max of 4.6 isn't really that bad, depending on the
    server and route your machine is taking to get there.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 7, 2004

  3. sno

    sno Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > sno <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > I do not know how port clipping occurs, so have no idea where
    > > to go next.....

    > You actually don't have a clue what you are talking about. Just because
    > you can download at a set speed doesn't mean the server is going to send
    > data to you that fast. Are you saying you are downloading at only 2.63
    > KB/sec? Since you say you connect at 37K, I assume you are on dialup and
    > you mean 37,000 bps, which is 4.6 kilobytes (KB) per second. Getting 3KB
    > per second out of a max of 4.6 isn't really that bad, depending on the
    > server and route your machine is taking to get there.

    You are right...I do not know how my file download can be
    clipped...and not my browser. except I know that the ports used for
    ftp/download are different then those for browsing....

    As you say, I presently connect generally at 4.6 KBytes per second...
    and download at a clipped rate of 2.6 KBytes....I have put a monitor
    program that monitors between my modem and computer and see a
    flat topped download at about 2.6 KBytes.....
    no matter who I am downloading from, nor what file I am downloading...

    I see a flat topped graph that is about 3/4 the height of my connect
    speed....it is not jagged like normal....extremely flat....and my
    download program (Opera) shows 2.1 KBytes/sec...

    In the past when I have monitored, I see a speed equal to, or a little
    faster then my connect speed due to compression....when I am
    downloading files...

    thanks for you help......sorry I did not explain better......sno
    sno, Apr 8, 2004