Clients choose AP by channel instead ofstongest RF Power

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Phil S., Aug 12, 2006.

  1. Phil S.

    Phil S. Guest

    Sorry for long post.

    Industrial / office building built in large 'C' design. Using 9 APs, 3 SSID
    (Admin, Engineering, Barcode Scanners) channel assignments all drawn out on
    large building prints for 1-6-11 and so forth as best as I can. WEP long
    encryption password unique to each SSID. RADIUS not used due to 50 count
    limit.

    Old Lunch room converted into major project 'Team" meetings. Three AP's
    (all Admin SSID) overlap coverage for Old Lunch room. Signal Strength are
    25-30% (channel 1), 40-45%(channel 11), and 60% (channel 6). All clients
    are using Win XP Pro, and Windows built in version of Windows Wireless
    client. The Laptops in the lunch room all pick the AP using channel 1, the
    lowest power, and within 20 minutes all the client laptops outlook will have
    just given up and disconnects.

    The fault I am trying to resolve: The client computers will try every 7
    minutes or so to connect to the lowest channel number, not to the AP the
    most RF power for a given SSID. At low power, there is too many
    retransmissions due to bad data packets.

    The Windows client seems, at least to the testing I have done, only locks up
    to an AP based on signal strength only when power is over 80%.

    Is there a white paper, or other resource I can research to force the
    windows wireless client to select the strongest signal AP with identical
    SSID, instead of the lowest channel? Am I missing a key part of this
    puzzle?

    (I will also gladly accept a good google query phrase, since I keep drawing
    a blank. Or a suggestion on another NG to post my question.)

    Phil

    Phil S., Aug 12, 2006

  2. Phil S.

    Phil S. Guest

    Nobody have any suggestions to my question?
    Hello-- is anyone there? Are my post being filtered?

    Phil S.

    Phil S., Aug 17, 2006