Client or server?

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by bootmgr, Aug 23, 2008.

  1. bootmgr

    bootmgr Guest

    Hello,

    I finished studying with the MCTS 70-620 ,i got an A+ last year ,but now i
    am kinda lost. Should i continue with the MCITP 70-622 or begin with server
    admin track? If the server admin track would take a long time ,i might
    consider the 70-622 .But the problem is that i only have basic knowledge
    about active directory domains and DNS. Does the 70-622 REQUIRE good
    knowledge and experience with active directory and domain environments? I am
    a consumer support (MCTS vista and A+) and i never worked in domain
    environments.Well at least i know what an active directory is,what a domain
    is ,difference between LGPOs and GPOs ,and how to switch the pc from a
    workgroup to a domain ,and that's it lol
    Is there any transition between 70-620 to 70-622? Or the 622 should be
    enough to explain the domain environment to ppl like me that have no
    experience with domains ?
    And ohh ,one more thing : The MCTS: 70-624 ,which only (but heavily)
    addresses vista and office deployment issues.... how about this course? Is
    it more important than the 622?

    Thanx :)
    bootmgr, Aug 23, 2008

  2. bootmgr

    Guest

    The 70-622 does require a solid understanding of how a desktop
    computer works and is configured within a typical mid-size enterprise
    - it's a tough exam without understanding Active Directory and having
    some experience with Group Policy.

    You have the MCITP Consumer Support Tech on Windows Vista. Instead of
    pursing another certification on Windows Vista, you might want to
    consider moving up to the server level. The exception would be if an
    employer specifically wanted you to pursue another Vista
    certification, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    The MCITP Server Administrator (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/
    mcitp/windowsserver/2008/server/default.mspx) doesn't require any
    Vista exams.

    The MCITP Enterprise Adminsitrator (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/
    mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/enterprise/default.mspx) only requires
    either the 70-620 or 70-624 exam which you've already covered with the
    70-620. The 70-624 isn't more important and I strongly suspect it
    won't be pursued near as much as the 70-622.

    Download Virtual PC, an evaulation copy of Sserver 2008 and build your
    own domain. This book (MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator
    Study Guide: Exam 70-646 ISBN 0470293152) will be out next month and
    chapter 1 walks you through the steps to build a server environment
    using Virtual PC.

    After you study some server topics and build your own domain, you can
    come back to the 70-622 if you want to and it'll be much easier.

    HTH,

    Darril Gibson
    MCT, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSE, MCSD...
    http://mcitpsuccess.com/
    http://mcitpsuccess.blogspot.com/
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Administration All-in-One Exam
    Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-443, & 70-444)
    Author, MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Developer All-in-One Exam
    Guide (Exams 70-431, 70-441, & 70-442)

    On Aug 23, 12:53 am, "bootmgr" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I finished studying with the MCTS 70-620 ,i got an A+ last year ,but now i
    > am kinda lost. Should i continue with the MCITP 70-622 or begin with server
    > admin track? If the server admin track would take a long time ,i might
    > consider the 70-622 .But the problem is that i only have basic knowledge
    > about active directory domains and DNS. Does the 70-622 REQUIRE good
    > knowledge and experience with active directory and domain environments? I am
    > a consumer support (MCTS vista and A+) and i never worked in domain
    > environments.Well at least i know what an active directory is,what a domain
    > is ,difference between LGPOs and GPOs ,and how to switch the pc from a
    > workgroup to a domain ,and that's it lol
    > Is there any transition between 70-620 to 70-622? Or the 622 should be
    > enough to explain the domain environment to ppl like me that have no
    > experience with domains ?
    > And ohh ,one more thing : The MCTS: 70-624 ,which only (but heavily)
    > addresses vista and office deployment issues.... how about this course? Is
    > it more important than the 622?
    >
    > Thanx :)
    , Aug 24, 2008

  3. bootmgr

    bootmgr Guest

    I really appreciate your help Darril, thanx a million :)
    And to tell you my case,i am working part time job in a computer shop as
    depot technician, troubleshooting hardware/software issues.I was studying
    for 70-620 like 4 hours a day.The MCTS in conjunction with my A+ helped me a
    lot. But i would like to move to enterprise levels and this is why i asked
    about 70-622 .Now about the 70-623,i personally think this is another 70-620
    ,only a little more advanced.And the extra things you could learn in the
    70-623,you could easily achieve them while practicing in the real world.So i
    dont think i could be interested in taking the 70-623 exam.
    Now the big issue is between 70-622 and the server track as you recommended.
    I would like to continue for the server admin track but the reason why i
    also asked about 70-622 is because the server admin track would take a long
    time (natting from PUBLIC to private IPs,routing,WSUS, designing DNS, WINS,
    WDS..etc) ...and a whole bunch of things.On the other hand ,I only need ONE
    more exam to achieve the MCITP enterprise client.This is the only reason why
    i put 70-622 in mind,and not to mention the MCITP, which is the highest
    level possible :) .
    So do you think that by reading ONLY the first chapter from the server book
    you mentioned will help me understand the 70-622 better?
    AND btw,your book mentions the MCITP server admin exam (70-646) ...what
    about the MCTS 70-640 and 70-642? Are they included in your book?(maybe an
    all in one book). I want something that is also designed for NEW people in
    domain and active directory (step by step instructions) and not just for
    professionals.
    And one last thing : Is there any specific subjects covered in 70-622 that
    are not included in MCITP server? Or the MCITP server should cover most of
    the 70-622 issues? I mean what is exactly the purpose of the 70-622 if the
    MCITP server admin should cover most 70-622 topics and issues.The 70-622 has
    to be special and has to cover specific topics and issues that are NOT
    included in server admin track,or it would be otherwise kinda pointless if
    you know what i mean.

    Thanx for your time Darril :)

    Cheers

    bootmgr, Aug 24, 2008