    manager from Toshiba?

    Thanks for any help you can supply.
    z.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhZHNfTUQ=?=, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Windows XP comes with a Wireless Configuration (Windows Zero Config) tool to
    create a manage your wireless profiles similar to what your Orinoco Client
    Manager was doing. Below are the steps to create a wireless profile with
    WZC.

    1. Open the control panel switch to classic view and click on "Network
    Connections"

    2. From the "Network Connections" folder right click on your Orinoco card
    and select properties 3. From the properties page select the "Wireless
    Networks" tab

    From here you should be able to see your AP in the list of available
    networks if not click on the refresh button. Once you see your AP select it
    and then click configure and you will be presented with the options to
    configure your card to work with your AP including any encryption &
    authentication required by your access point.

    Hope this helps

    David Harding

    David Harding [MSFT], Aug 10, 2004

  3. Dave, thanks for your reply.
    The problem is that my computer isn't recognizing my wireless card (either
    of them) as wireless. It treats it as a Local Area Connection.

    I've actually gotten things to the point where my internal wireless card
    (which eliminates the need to use the Orinoco card, so I'm not really
    focusing on fixing that) is connected to my home network and is operating as
    it should.

    Now the issue is with client management. XP won't recognize the card as a
    wireless connection so it doesn't give me the option to scan for networks,
    build profiles, etc. (i.e., it doesn't make available the "Wireless Networks"
    tab in Step Three). So in a week when I'm back at school, switching between
    the two (additional) networks I frequent there will be at best complicated.

    Anyhow, that's where things stand now. If you can offer up any other ideas,
    I'd be most appreciative. Thanks again for taking a whack at this.

    z.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhZHNfTUQ=?=, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Dave, an update:
    Your advice worked perfectly once I activated the WZC tool. It had not been
    enabled. I had to turn it on in by running (Start/Run) services.msc (which I
    discovered working through another issue). Just wanted to post this to say
    thanks and so that others with the same issue see the solution (hopefully the
    permanent one).

    z.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RhZHNfTUQ=?=, Aug 11, 2004