Clicking View Wireless Networks doesn't open dialog

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by drewmacphee@gmail.com, May 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a user who cannot open the "Wireless Network Connection" dialog.

    Clicking "View Wireless Connection" button on the "Wireless Connection
    Properties" dialog on the "Wireless Networks" tab does nothing. No
    window opens, nothing is loaded, there is no CPU activity. Just nothing
    happens.

    Nothing happens when right clicking on the "Wireless Network
    Connection" system tray icon and clicking on the "View Available
    Wireless Networks"

    Nothing happens when left clicking on "Wireless Network Connection"
    systen tray icon and clicking on the "View Wireless Networks" button.

    Basically the "Wireless Network Connection" dialog cannot be accessed
    in any way shape or form.

    How can I fix this?

    , May 9, 2006

  2. Hi
    Does the Network connection works?
    What type of hardware is used?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 9, 2006

  3. dr.ew Guest

    Yup.. he connects to our wifi network just fine.
    Which was setup before this all happened.
    It's a brand new Toshiba Laptop.. so wireless-g adapter.
    It had the ABWIZ trojan, which the removal tool was used on.
    This seems to be when it stopped working.

    I basically just want to reinstall whatever controls that dialog.. as
    it's the only thing not working.

    dr.ew, May 10, 2006
  4. RalfG Guest

    If they have a 3rd party WLAN monitor utility installed it can disable
    access to items in the Windows wireless network connection tool. In that
    case double clicking the WLAN monitor icon should give access to similar
    information/settings, unless both the monitor and Windows' Wireless Zero are
    active at the same time and a conflict condition exists.

    Same symptons if "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is
    unchecked on the Wireless Networks tab.

    RalfG, May 10, 2006
  5. dr.ew Guest

    Nope.. that box is checked and windows is the only thing installed
    handling wireless

    dr.ew, May 10, 2006
  6. Hi
    I am Not familiar with ABWIZ and do not what its contribution to this
    situation.
    Try to refresh your Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    And read this about Wireless, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 11, 2006
  7. dr.ew Guest

    The virus isn't the important thing really.

    The wireless works.. there's nothing to fix in terms or TCP/IP stacks
    or any such thing.

    It's just a missing window.. I must be missing some DLL that opens that
    window.

    All I need to know is what files are associated with opening that
    window and how to I replace them.

    dr.ew, May 11, 2006
  8. dr.ew Guest

    Well the solution was to do a windows repair install.. which I was
    hoping to avoid as it took the users computer away from them for quite
    a while.

    dr.ew, May 12, 2006
  9. I'm having the exact same issue on my home notebook. How do you do a windows
    repair install? Does it have any adverse affects on system files?

    =?Utf-8?B?S2lraQ==?=, May 17, 2006
  10. If you have XP, you boot off the XP disk and when it eventually gets to the
    first R for repair prompt, ignore that and go on as if about to install new.
    You will get a SECOND R for repair prompt. Use that and the install starts.
    Same for 2K. If you have below 2K, you boot off the startup floppy, change
    dir to the CD drive and type setup there and hit enter assuming your CD is
    already in the drive and just follow the prompts.

    Diamontina Cocktail, May 17, 2006