Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by emailprob, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    I've used Thunderbird on a WinXP system for years, but for some reason
    Thunderbird has begun closing itself whenever a link within an e-mail
    is clicked on. (BTW, I was using version 1.5, but in an attempt to fix
    the problem upgraded to 2.0.0.14. Unfortunately the problem persists.
    And the only extension is Talkback 2.0.0.9.)

    Also, if an e-mail has an attachment, such as a JPG file, the mere act
    of trying to open the e-mail makes Thunderbird close immediately.
    (Note that this happens so quickly, that it is possible that the
    e-mail is indeed opening, but that something is automatically trying
    to open the attachment, and that act of opening is what causes
    Thunderbird to close itself.)

    Also, oddly, under Tools/Options if I try to select the heading
    'Attachments', Thunderbird closes.

    Someone else had a similar prob, but it was caused by the firewall not
    knowing to allow that program. In my situation, Sygate Personal
    Firewall knows to allow Thunderbird, and is not blocking it.

    It seems to me to be some type of security issue, but I can't nail
    down the exact cause or find a solution. All suggestions will be
    appreciated.
    emailprob, Jun 12, 2008

  2. emailprob wrote:
    > I've used Thunderbird on a WinXP system for years, but for some reason
    > Thunderbird has begun closing itself whenever a link within an e-mail
    > is clicked on. (BTW, I was using version 1.5, but in an attempt to fix
    > the problem upgraded to 2.0.0.14. Unfortunately the problem persists.
    > And the only extension is Talkback 2.0.0.9.)
    >
    > Also, if an e-mail has an attachment, such as a JPG file, the mere act
    > of trying to open the e-mail makes Thunderbird close immediately.
    > (Note that this happens so quickly, that it is possible that the
    > e-mail is indeed opening, but that something is automatically trying
    > to open the attachment, and that act of opening is what causes
    > Thunderbird to close itself.)
    >
    > Also, oddly, under Tools/Options if I try to select the heading
    > 'Attachments', Thunderbird closes.
    >
    > Someone else had a similar prob, but it was caused by the firewall not
    > knowing to allow that program. In my situation, Sygate Personal
    > Firewall knows to allow Thunderbird, and is not blocking it.
    >
    > It seems to me to be some type of security issue, but I can't nail
    > down the exact cause or find a solution. All suggestions will be
    > appreciated.

    close TB, then click on the windows start button, then run
    and enter:

    thunderbird.exe -safe-mode

    this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problems continue?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 12, 2008

  3. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:00:07 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >emailprob wrote:
    >> I've used Thunderbird on a WinXP system for years, but for some reason
    >> Thunderbird has begun closing itself whenever a link within an e-mail
    >> is clicked on. (BTW, I was using version 1.5, but in an attempt to fix
    >> the problem upgraded to 2.0.0.14. Unfortunately the problem persists.
    >> And the only extension is Talkback 2.0.0.9.)
    >>
    >> Also, if an e-mail has an attachment, such as a JPG file, the mere act
    >> of trying to open the e-mail makes Thunderbird close immediately.
    >> (Note that this happens so quickly, that it is possible that the
    >> e-mail is indeed opening, but that something is automatically trying
    >> to open the attachment, and that act of opening is what causes
    >> Thunderbird to close itself.)
    >>
    >> Also, oddly, under Tools/Options if I try to select the heading
    >> 'Attachments', Thunderbird closes.
    >>
    >> Someone else had a similar prob, but it was caused by the firewall not
    >> knowing to allow that program. In my situation, Sygate Personal
    >> Firewall knows to allow Thunderbird, and is not blocking it.
    >>
    >> It seems to me to be some type of security issue, but I can't nail
    >> down the exact cause or find a solution. All suggestions will be
    >> appreciated.

    >close TB, then click on the windows start button, then run
    >and enter:
    >
    >thunderbird.exe -safe-mode
    >
    >this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problems continue?

    Yes, the problems do continue.
    emailprob, Jun 12, 2008
  4. emailprob wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:00:07 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> emailprob wrote:
    >>> I've used Thunderbird on a WinXP system for years, but for some reason
    >>> Thunderbird has begun closing itself whenever a link within an e-mail
    >>> is clicked on. (BTW, I was using version 1.5, but in an attempt to fix
    >>> the problem upgraded to 2.0.0.14. Unfortunately the problem persists.
    >>> And the only extension is Talkback 2.0.0.9.)
    >>>
    >>> Also, if an e-mail has an attachment, such as a JPG file, the mere act
    >>> of trying to open the e-mail makes Thunderbird close immediately.
    >>> (Note that this happens so quickly, that it is possible that the
    >>> e-mail is indeed opening, but that something is automatically trying
    >>> to open the attachment, and that act of opening is what causes
    >>> Thunderbird to close itself.)
    >>>
    >>> Also, oddly, under Tools/Options if I try to select the heading
    >>> 'Attachments', Thunderbird closes.
    >>>
    >>> Someone else had a similar prob, but it was caused by the firewall not
    >>> knowing to allow that program. In my situation, Sygate Personal
    >>> Firewall knows to allow Thunderbird, and is not blocking it.
    >>>
    >>> It seems to me to be some type of security issue, but I can't nail
    >>> down the exact cause or find a solution. All suggestions will be
    >>> appreciated.

    >> close TB, then click on the windows start button, then run
    >> and enter:
    >>
    >> thunderbird.exe -safe-mode
    >>
    >> this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problems continue?

    > Yes, the problems do continue.

    OK, one more test: close TB, then click on the windows start
    button, then run and enter:

    thunderbird.exe -p

    this will bring up the TB profile manager. Create a test
    profile. Set it so it will download the messages, but leave
    them on the server so you can download them into the main
    profile. So, in the test profile, do the problems continue?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 13, 2008
  5. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:09:28 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >emailprob wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:00:07 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> close TB, then click on the windows start button, then run
    >>> and enter:
    >>>
    >>> thunderbird.exe -safe-mode
    >>>
    >>> this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problems continue?

    >> Yes, the problems do continue.

    >OK, one more test: close TB, then click on the windows start
    >button, then run and enter:
    >
    >thunderbird.exe -p
    >
    >this will bring up the TB profile manager. Create a test
    >profile. Set it so it will download the messages, but leave
    >them on the server so you can download them into the main
    >profile. So, in the test profile, do the problems continue?

    Just created a test profile, and set it as suggested. Unfortunately
    the same probs persist, i.e., clicking on a link or trying to add an
    attachment closes (crashes) Thunderbird.
    emailprob, Jun 13, 2008
  6. emailprob wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:09:28 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> emailprob wrote:

    >>> Yes, the problems do continue.

    >> OK, one more test: close TB, then click on the windows start
    >> button, then run and enter:
    >>
    >> thunderbird.exe -p
    >>
    >> this will bring up the TB profile manager. Create a test
    >> profile. Set it so it will download the messages, but leave
    >> them on the server so you can download them into the main
    >> profile. So, in the test profile, do the problems continue?

    > Just created a test profile, and set it as suggested. Unfortunately
    > the same probs persist, i.e., clicking on a link or trying to add an
    > attachment closes (crashes) Thunderbird.

    then I don't think its TB thats causing the problem, but
    rather something running in the background. What else have
    you got running? Firewall, Anti-virus, etc. Turn those off
    and try again. Any results?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 13, 2008
  7. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to clean the registry of Thunderbird?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:48:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >emailprob wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:09:28 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> OK, one more test: close TB, then click on the windows start
    >>> button, then run and enter:
    >>>
    >>> thunderbird.exe -p
    >>>
    >>> this will bring up the TB profile manager. Create a test
    >>> profile. Set it so it will download the messages, but leave
    >>> them on the server so you can download them into the main
    >>> profile. So, in the test profile, do the problems continue?

    >> Just created a test profile, and set it as suggested. Unfortunately
    >> the same probs persist, i.e., clicking on a link or trying to add an
    >> attachment closes (crashes) Thunderbird.

    >then I don't think its TB thats causing the problem, but
    >rather something running in the background. What else have
    >you got running? Firewall, Anti-virus, etc. Turn those off
    >and try again. Any results?

    Here is some new info, developed by my computer guru:

    When a new Windows identity is created (as though a second person were
    using my computer), and a new Thunderbird account is setup in that new
    identity, Thunderbird functions fine. But no matter how many new
    profiles are created within the original identity, they all
    malfunction similarly.

    Thus the prob appears to be some bad Thunderbird info in the registry
    that is not being completely cleaned out during the
    Uninstall/Reinstall process.

    So, I guess the procedure would be to back up all my Thunderbird
    e-mail data, then completely uninstall Thunderbird, clean the
    registry, then reinstall Thunderbird. If that is indeed the procedure,
    how exactly do I clean the registry of all traces of Thunderbird?
    emailprob, Jun 13, 2008
  8. Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to cleanthe registry of Thunderbird?

    emailprob wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:48:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> emailprob wrote:

    >>> Just created a test profile, and set it as suggested. Unfortunately
    >>> the same probs persist, i.e., clicking on a link or trying to add an
    >>> attachment closes (crashes) Thunderbird.

    >> then I don't think its TB thats causing the problem, but
    >> rather something running in the background. What else have
    >> you got running? Firewall, Anti-virus, etc. Turn those off
    >> and try again. Any results?

    > Here is some new info, developed by my computer guru:
    >
    > When a new Windows identity is created (as though a second person were
    > using my computer), and a new Thunderbird account is setup in that new
    > identity, Thunderbird functions fine. But no matter how many new
    > profiles are created within the original identity, they all
    > malfunction similarly.
    >
    > Thus the prob appears to be some bad Thunderbird info in the registry
    > that is not being completely cleaned out during the
    > Uninstall/Reinstall process.
    >
    > So, I guess the procedure would be to back up all my Thunderbird
    > e-mail data, then completely uninstall Thunderbird, clean the
    > registry, then reinstall Thunderbird. If that is indeed the procedure,
    > how exactly do I clean the registry of all traces of Thunderbird?

    if thats the case, then TB isn't the problem, rather its
    windows. All your data is stored in the TB Profile. This
    profile is separate from the program directory. When you
    uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program, not the
    data. So, you can backup if you want to, or just go ahead
    and uninstall.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 13, 2008
  9. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to clean the registry of Thunderbird?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:52:13 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >emailprob wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:48:40 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> then I don't think its TB thats causing the problem, but
    >>> rather something running in the background. What else have
    >>> you got running? Firewall, Anti-virus, etc. Turn those off
    >>> and try again. Any results?

    >> Here is some new info, developed by my computer guru:
    >>
    >> When a new Windows identity is created (as though a second person were
    >> using my computer), and a new Thunderbird account is setup in that new
    >> identity, Thunderbird functions fine. But no matter how many new
    >> profiles are created within the original identity, they all
    >> malfunction similarly.
    >>
    >> Thus the prob appears to be some bad Thunderbird info in the registry
    >> that is not being completely cleaned out during the
    >> Uninstall/Reinstall process.
    >>
    >> So, I guess the procedure would be to back up all my Thunderbird
    >> e-mail data, then completely uninstall Thunderbird, clean the
    >> registry, then reinstall Thunderbird. If that is indeed the procedure,
    >> how exactly do I clean the registry of all traces of Thunderbird?

    >if thats the case, then TB isn't the problem, rather its
    >windows. All your data is stored in the TB Profile. This
    >profile is separate from the program directory. When you
    >uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program, not the
    >data. So, you can backup if you want to, or just go ahead
    >and uninstall.

    I just used Revo Uninstall to remove Thunderbird, then reinstalled TB.
    Unfortunately the prob persists in the original Windows identity.
    emailprob, Jun 13, 2008
  10. Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to cleanthe registry of Thunderbird?

    emailprob wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:52:13 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> emailprob wrote:

    >>> Here is some new info, developed by my computer guru:
    >>>
    >>> When a new Windows identity is created (as though a second person were
    >>> using my computer), and a new Thunderbird account is setup in that new
    >>> identity, Thunderbird functions fine. But no matter how many new
    >>> profiles are created within the original identity, they all
    >>> malfunction similarly.
    >>>
    >>> Thus the prob appears to be some bad Thunderbird info in the registry
    >>> that is not being completely cleaned out during the
    >>> Uninstall/Reinstall process.
    >>>
    >>> So, I guess the procedure would be to back up all my Thunderbird
    >>> e-mail data, then completely uninstall Thunderbird, clean the
    >>> registry, then reinstall Thunderbird. If that is indeed the procedure,
    >>> how exactly do I clean the registry of all traces of Thunderbird?

    >> if thats the case, then TB isn't the problem, rather its
    >> windows. All your data is stored in the TB Profile. This
    >> profile is separate from the program directory. When you
    >> uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program, not the
    >> data. So, you can backup if you want to, or just go ahead
    >> and uninstall.

    > I just used Revo Uninstall to remove Thunderbird, then reinstalled TB.
    > Unfortunately the prob persists in the original Windows identity.

    I'm outta ideas. All I can say is to go to the official TB
    support newsgroup which is mozilla.support.thunderbird which
    is on the news.mozilla.org server. Just tell them what all
    you've done: safe mode, test profile, uninstalled TB, etc.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 13, 2008
  11. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to clean the registry of Thunderbird?

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:06:04 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >emailprob wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:52:13 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> if thats the case, then TB isn't the problem, rather its
    >>> windows. All your data is stored in the TB Profile. This
    >>> profile is separate from the program directory. When you
    >>> uninstall, all you're doing is removing the program, not the
    >>> data. So, you can backup if you want to, or just go ahead
    >>> and uninstall.

    >> I just used Revo Uninstall to remove Thunderbird, then reinstalled TB.
    >> Unfortunately the prob persists in the original Windows identity.

    >I'm outta ideas. All I can say is to go to the official TB
    >support newsgroup which is mozilla.support.thunderbird which
    >is on the news.mozilla.org server. Just tell them what all
    >you've done: safe mode, test profile, uninstalled TB, etc.

    A little new info:

    Go to Craigslist, using Firefox. Click on the e-mail within a
    Craigslist ad. A MS Internet Explorer window opens saying:

    "Could not perform this operation because the default browser is not
    properly installed."

    When one then clicks on that message's OK button, *multiple* (over 60)
    IE windows open up! BTW, Firefox is the default browser."

    Also note that yesterday when I tried cleaning out all traces of TB,
    some traces must not've been cleaned out because upon completion of
    installation, it automatically opened and showed me all my mail
    folders and mail (which are stored on a diff hard drive, "H". The rest
    of TB is on C).
    emailprob, Jun 14, 2008
  12. Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to cleanthe registry of Thunderbird?

    emailprob wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:06:04 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> emailprob wrote:

    >>> I just used Revo Uninstall to remove Thunderbird, then reinstalled TB.
    >>> Unfortunately the prob persists in the original Windows identity.

    >> I'm outta ideas. All I can say is to go to the official TB
    >> support newsgroup which is mozilla.support.thunderbird which
    >> is on the news.mozilla.org server. Just tell them what all
    >> you've done: safe mode, test profile, uninstalled TB, etc.

    > A little new info:
    >
    > Go to Craigslist, using Firefox. Click on the e-mail within a
    > Craigslist ad. A MS Internet Explorer window opens saying:
    >
    > "Could not perform this operation because the default browser is not
    > properly installed."
    >
    > When one then clicks on that message's OK button, *multiple* (over 60)
    > IE windows open up! BTW, Firefox is the default browser."
    >
    > Also note that yesterday when I tried cleaning out all traces of TB,
    > some traces must not've been cleaned out because upon completion of
    > installation, it automatically opened and showed me all my mail
    > folders and mail (which are stored on a diff hard drive, "H". The rest
    > of TB is on C).

    TB: thats right, there is a file that is not touched. Its
    located in the default location of there the profile should
    be. Its the profile file. It tells TB where to locate the
    profile.

    For FF: open IE and click on Tools, Internet Options,
    Programs tab, and at the bottom, it says something about
    making IE the default. Check it so IE will be the default.
    Close IE, reopen it, and close it once more. Now, open
    FF, and you should get a popup asking if you want to make it
    the default. Yes, close and Reopen it. Do things work now?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 14, 2008
  13. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to clean the registry of Thunderbird?

    Unfortunately, no, they don't.
    emailprob, Jun 14, 2008
  14. emailprob

    bob from oz Guest

    emailprob wrote:
    >> For FF: open IE and click on Tools, Internet Options,
    >> Programs tab, and at the bottom, it says something about
    >> making IE the default. Check it so IE will be the default.
    >> Close IE, reopen it, and close it once more. Now, open
    >> FF, and you should get a popup asking if you want to make it
    >> the default. Yes, close and Reopen it. Do things work now?

    > Unfortunately, no, they don't.

    delete the whole Thunderbird profile +/- save your raw email data. then
    make a new profile. don't just start another profile, i mean nuke the
    whole thing.

    --
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too
    dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    bob from oz, Jun 15, 2008
  15. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to clean the registry of Thunderbird?

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 02:28:40 GMT, bob from oz <>
    wrote:

    >emailprob wrote:
    >>> For FF: open IE and click on Tools, Internet Options,
    >>> Programs tab, and at the bottom, it says something about
    >>> making IE the default. Check it so IE will be the default.
    >>> Close IE, reopen it, and close it once more. Now, open
    >>> FF, and you should get a popup asking if you want to make it
    >>> the default. Yes, close and Reopen it. Do things work now?

    >> Unfortunately, no, they don't.

    >delete the whole Thunderbird profile +/- save your raw email data. then
    >make a new profile. don't just start another profile, i mean nuke the
    >whole thing.

    I've done exactly that. But the prob persists.

    The only work-around found so far is to create a completely new
    Windows Identity, as though a second person used my computer. Then,
    logging on as that new identity and setting up a new TB account. That
    account works fine.

    However, there is one important consideration. TB must be open if you
    are web surfing and click on a 'mailto' link. If TB is already open,
    then that link will work OK, but if TB is not already open, then an
    error message will appear:

    'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is
    not properly installed'.

    At that point 60 IE windows will pop open!

    So it seems that despite my reinstallations, even using Revo
    Uninstaller, Windows thinks that TB is not properly installed. If we
    could somehow figure out how to 'properly' install TB, the probs would
    probably clear up.
    emailprob, Jun 15, 2008
  16. Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to cleanthe registry of Thunderbird?

    emailprob wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 02:28:40 GMT, bob from oz <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately, no, they don't.

    >> delete the whole Thunderbird profile +/- save your raw email data. then
    >> make a new profile. don't just start another profile, i mean nuke the
    >> whole thing.

    > I've done exactly that. But the prob persists.
    >
    > The only work-around found so far is to create a completely new
    > Windows Identity, as though a second person used my computer. Then,
    > logging on as that new identity and setting up a new TB account. That
    > account works fine.
    >
    > However, there is one important consideration. TB must be open if you
    > are web surfing and click on a 'mailto' link. If TB is already open,
    > then that link will work OK, but if TB is not already open, then an
    > error message will appear:
    >
    > 'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is
    > not properly installed'.
    >
    > At that point 60 IE windows will pop open!
    >
    > So it seems that despite my reinstallations, even using Revo
    > Uninstaller, Windows thinks that TB is not properly installed. If we
    > could somehow figure out how to 'properly' install TB, the probs would
    > probably clear up.

    as I said elsewhere, its a windows problem and not a TB/FF one.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 15, 2008
  17. emailprob

    emailprob Guest

    Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to clean the registry of Thunderbird?

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:31:01 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >emailprob wrote:
    >> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 02:28:40 GMT, bob from oz <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> delete the whole Thunderbird profile +/- save your raw email data. then
    >>> make a new profile. don't just start another profile, i mean nuke the
    >>> whole thing.

    >> I've done exactly that. But the prob persists.
    >>
    >> The only work-around found so far is to create a completely new
    >> Windows Identity, as though a second person used my computer. Then,
    >> logging on as that new identity and setting up a new TB account. That
    >> account works fine.
    >>
    >> However, there is one important consideration. TB must be open if you
    >> are web surfing and click on a 'mailto' link. If TB is already open,
    >> then that link will work OK, but if TB is not already open, then an
    >> error message will appear:
    >>
    >> 'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is
    >> not properly installed'.
    >>
    >> At that point 60 IE windows will pop open!
    >>
    >> So it seems that despite my reinstallations, even using Revo
    >> Uninstaller, Windows thinks that TB is not properly installed. If we
    >> could somehow figure out how to 'properly' install TB, the probs would
    >> probably clear up.

    >as I said elsewhere, its a windows problem and not a TB/FF one.

    I've just noticed something different, but am not sure at what point
    one problem cleared up. In an earlier post here, I said:

    However, there is one important consideration. TB must be open if you
    are web surfing and click on a 'mailto' link. If TB is already open,
    then that link will work OK, but if TB is not already open, then an
    error message will appear:
    'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is
    not properly installed'.
    At that point 60 IE windows will pop open!

    However, this particular problem no longer exists. Unfortunately TB
    still crashes when: a link within an e-mail is clicked on, when an
    e-mail containing an attachment is clicked on, or when under
    Tools/Options if I try to select the heading 'Attachments'.
    emailprob, Jul 7, 2008
  18. Re: Clicking on link in e-mail closes Thunderbird - how to cleanthe registry of Thunderbird?

    emailprob wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:31:01 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> emailprob wrote:

    >>> I've done exactly that. But the prob persists.
    >>>
    >>> The only work-around found so far is to create a completely new
    >>> Windows Identity, as though a second person used my computer. Then,
    >>> logging on as that new identity and setting up a new TB account. That
    >>> account works fine.
    >>>
    >>> However, there is one important consideration. TB must be open if you
    >>> are web surfing and click on a 'mailto' link. If TB is already open,
    >>> then that link will work OK, but if TB is not already open, then an
    >>> error message will appear:
    >>>
    >>> 'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is
    >>> not properly installed'.
    >>>
    >>> At that point 60 IE windows will pop open!
    >>>
    >>> So it seems that despite my reinstallations, even using Revo
    >>> Uninstaller, Windows thinks that TB is not properly installed. If we
    >>> could somehow figure out how to 'properly' install TB, the probs would
    >>> probably clear up.

    >> as I said elsewhere, its a windows problem and not a TB/FF one.

    > I've just noticed something different, but am not sure at what point
    > one problem cleared up. In an earlier post here, I said:
    >
    > However, there is one important consideration. TB must be open if you
    > are web surfing and click on a 'mailto' link. If TB is already open,
    > then that link will work OK, but if TB is not already open, then an
    > error message will appear:
    > 'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is
    > not properly installed'.
    > At that point 60 IE windows will pop open!
    >
    > However, this particular problem no longer exists. Unfortunately TB
    > still crashes when: a link within an e-mail is clicked on, when an
    > e-mail containing an attachment is clicked on, or when under
    > Tools/Options if I try to select the heading 'Attachments'.

    any error messages? If so, what do they say?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 7, 2008