Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
    concerned as it's a brand new PC.
    Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
    Running XP.

    Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
    on this, please:

    I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
    back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
    do nothing. Wouldn't open.

    Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work either.

    Re-booted, and all fine now.

    What might have caused ?
    Thoughts on.

    Bob
    Robert11, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Old Gringo Guest

    Re: Clicking On Desktop Icons Doesn't Work ! Thoughts On, Please?

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
    > concerned as it's a brand new PC.
    > Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
    > Running XP.
    >
    > Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
    > on this, please:
    >
    > I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
    > back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
    > do nothing. Wouldn't open.
    >
    > Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work either.
    >
    > Re-booted, and all fine now.
    >
    > What might have caused ?
    > Thoughts on.
    >
    > Bob

    Get better accounted with your computer and operating system. The
    answer is right there.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Cubzilla Guest

    did someone have access to your PC, I have seen it where a screen shot of
    the desktop is used as the wallpaper, all other icons are moved. rebooting
    restores all

    just might be

    Cubzilla, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Gosh !

    I'm getting on in years now, and am trying this high tech stuff out.

    If you have any real ideas on this, would sure appreciate the help.

    Actually, pretty proud that I can get any of it to work.

    Sure don't understand your answer.

    Bob
    ----------------

    Robert11, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Robert11

    Jerry G. Guest

    What operating system are you using? Windows 95 (obsolete), 98, and ME can
    do this type of hangup. It has to do with the desktop management routine
    hanging up, due mostly to some of the memory handling problems that these
    operating systems have. In NT4 (obsolete), 2000, and any of the XP releases,
    this type of problem is less apt to happen.

    There is a lot of activity going on in the background of the computer while
    it is either sitting idle, or doing some job tasks. In the older operating
    systems, there were also some problems with the screen savers, and power
    management applications, that can sometimes cause the fault you were
    describing. This fault that you saw is only one of the many.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 9, 2004
  6. Robert11

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Gosh !

    Hi Robert; Windows XP is quite a sophisticated OS and has it's share
    of flaws. There are a couple of versions of it. Also there are
    updates that have solved some of the problems. Becoming familiar
    with the OS will help solve some of your problems. Make sure it is
    up to date with the latest downloads from Ms. It is good to become
    familiar with all of the settings and what they do. If my post
    sounded rude, that was not my intent. Good Luck to you.

    Old Gringo, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
    shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop, ad
    infinitum <g>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2004
  8. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | It's happened again during normal usage this time, and am now geting quite
    | concerned as it's a brand new PC.
    | Everything else "seems" to be just fine, though. Not using any games.
    | Running XP.
    |
    | Posted this before, but would be most grateful for any additional thoughts
    | on this, please:
    |
    | I was away from PC for about an hour today, and when I went
    | back I found that double clicking on any or all of the desktop icons would
    | do nothing. Wouldn't open.
    |
    | Also, going to the pull-down menu, and selecting OPEN, wouldn't work
    either.

    | Re-booted, and all fine now.
    |
    | What might have caused ?
    | Thoughts on.

    Did the computer go into "standby"? If so, it may be taking a few moments to
    fully recover after waking it up. How long did you try before rebooting?
    Toolman Tim, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Robert11

    WormWood Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
    > shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop, ad
    > infinitum <g>

    That's an atrocity.......

    > "Cubzilla" <> wrote in message
    > | did someone have access to your PC, I have seen it where a screen
    > shot of
    > | the desktop is used as the wallpaper, all other icons are moved.
    > rebooting
    > | restores all
    > |

    > | just might be

    <snip>
    WormWood, Dec 9, 2004
  10. Robert11

    dadiOH Guest

    WormWood wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Heh heh heh...love it <g>...my other "favorite" trick is to create a
    >> shut-down script and call it on startup...start, stop, start, stop,
    >> ad infinitum <g>
    >>

    > That's an atrocity.......

    ....which should be visited upon my father-in-law. The screen shot wall
    paper would be good too :)

    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...