    call to your (currently registered) phone, and when answered it completes
    the other half of the call to number selected. However, this isn't quite
    what happens (for me at least!). What happens is:

    1. Log in to my account page at www.sipgate.co.uk
    2. Click on the "Call" link against the desired number (Sipgate's test
    10000 number for example)
    3. A new, small, Internet Explorer window opens and my phone rings.
    4. I answer my phone and hear nothing.
    5. The Internet Explorer window updates and displays "Fault. Incorrect
    call".

    I've tried this with X-Lite and now with my newly purchase Linksys PAP2. My
    partner has also tried it from their Sipgate account.

    I've also e-mailed Sipgate support both when I first had the problem and
    again since the problem is continuing now that I've got a hardware adapter,
    but, as yet, no luck there!

    Does anyone else have the same problem? Has anyone else got it working and
    knows a fix, or simply had it working for the start?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave.

    Red Dave, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Red Dave

    Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:47:49 -0000, "Red Dave"
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone else got it working and
    >knows a fix, or simply had it working for the start?

    I've never tried it before, but your question prompted me to give it a
    go.

    Click the link, and the small window opens. The VOIP line rings. I
    answer it. No ringing tone, nothing at all, but about three seconds
    later the called number rings, and I answer it. Call working as
    normal.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Nov 12, 2005

  3. Red Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I have tried, without success to get Sipgate
    > click-to-dial functionality to work, namely, from the
    > on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call against
    > any listed phone number (showing on either the Home,
    > Calls or Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that
    > Sipgate's servers make a call to your (currently
    > registered) phone, and when answered it completes the
    > other half of the call to number selected. However, this
    > isn't quite what happens (for me at least!).

    [snip]

    It's never worked for me, no idea why. It doesn't really bother me as it's
    far easier simply to dial the number, given that my phones are on the
    other side of the room from the PC..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Red Dave

    Martin² Guest

    hairydog:
    >Click the link, and the small window opens. The VOIP line rings. I
    >answer it. No ringing tone, nothing at all, but about three seconds
    >later the called number rings, and I answer it. Call working as
    >normal.

    Never worked for me either. By coincidence I was trying it again this
    afternoon.
    I have one DECT phone connected to Draytek router way up in the attic.
    If this worked as it should, it would allow me to make calls on line 2 using
    phone on line 1,
    which would be very useful (specially if I could get sipdiscount to work on
    the draytek !)

    What is your VoIP equipment please ?
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 13, 2005
  5. Red Dave

    Red Dave Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    > message news:
    >> Dear Group,
    >>
    >> I have tried, without success to get Sipgate
    >> click-to-dial functionality to work, namely, from the
    >> on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call against
    >> any listed phone number (showing on either the Home,
    >> Calls or Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that
    >> Sipgate's servers make a call to your (currently
    >> registered) phone, and when answered it completes the
    >> other half of the call to number selected. However, this
    >> isn't quite what happens (for me at least!).

    > [snip]
    >
    > It's never worked for me, no idea why. It doesn't really bother me as it's
    > far easier simply to dial the number, given that my phones are on the
    > other side of the room from the PC..!
    >
    > Ivor

    Hmmm... so, one yes and two no's so far, this doesn't bode well! I guess
    what would be most helpful is if there was someone else out there who didn't
    have the functionality working, but has somehow managed to fix it. Should
    it help, here's a little more detail about my set-up:

    ADSL line -> ADSL modem/router (Samsung)
    -> firewall/proxy (Smoothwall)
    -> hub (standard 8-port-nothing-fancy type)
    -> Linksys PAP2 ATA adapter
    -> conventional BT-style telephone.

    Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am able to make and
    receive calls via my telephone and my Sipgate account. Also, the fact that
    Sipgates click-to-dial service rings my phone (as it did when I was using
    X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's nothing wrong my end. It does seem
    like a Sipgate problem to me...

    Anyone?!!

    Dave.

    Red Dave, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Red Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    message news:

    [snip]

    > Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am able
    > to make and receive calls via my telephone and my Sipgate
    > account. Also, the fact that Sipgates click-to-dial
    > service rings my phone (as it did when I was using
    > X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's nothing wrong my
    > end. It does seem like a Sipgate problem to me...

    I'm not sure about this. I have a friend who uses one of the Grandstream
    phones and it works fine for him. It's just never worked for any of my
    ATA's.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Red Dave

    Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:43:52 -0000, "Martin²" <> wrote:

    >What is your VoIP equipment please ?

    An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

    I forwarded the ports from the router, though (don't use the ATA as a
    router) because although it worked without (presumably using uPnP) it
    wasn't reliable.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Nov 13, 2005
  8. Red Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    > message news:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am
    > > able to make and receive calls via my telephone and my
    > > Sipgate account. Also, the fact that Sipgates
    > > click-to-dial service rings my phone (as it did when I
    > > was using X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's
    > > nothing wrong my end. It does seem like a Sipgate
    > > problem to me...

    > I'm not sure about this. I have a friend who uses one of
    > the Grandstream phones and it works fine for him. It's
    > just never worked for any of my ATA's.
    >
    > Ivor

    In light of this thread, I've just done a few tests. I can call between my
    own numbers fine using click to dial, but I tried two other people and it
    failed both times. One of them obviously had the phone ring, becase a few
    minutes afterwards I got a call back saying were you trying to call me..?!
    He said when he answered he got nothing at all, which is exactly what I
    got.

    Very strange..

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 13, 2005
  9. Red Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:43:52 -0000, "Martin²"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > What is your VoIP equipment please ?

    > An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

    Which one..?

    > I forwarded the ports from the router, though (don't use
    > the ATA as a router) because although it worked without
    > (presumably using uPnP) it wasn't reliable.

    Some devices do seem to like this. I had a combination once that flatly
    refused to work until I put the ATA in the router's DMZ, no matter what
    STUN or forwarding settings I used.

    I'm using the AVM Fritz!Box Fon (also from Sipgate) now and that works
    like a dream, I even have an additional ATA plugged into its' LAN port for
    an additional 2 numbers, no mucking about with port forwarding or DMZ at
    all, it just works..!

    I still don't get reliable results with click to dial though, see my other
    post.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 13, 2005
  10. Red Dave

    Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:00:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >> An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

    >Which one..?

    HandyTone-486

    As far as I know that's the only one they have ever sold.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Nov 13, 2005
  11. Red Dave

    Red Dave Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    >> message news:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> > Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am
    >> > able to make and receive calls via my telephone and my
    >> > Sipgate account. Also, the fact that Sipgates
    >> > click-to-dial service rings my phone (as it did when I
    >> > was using X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's
    >> > nothing wrong my end. It does seem like a Sipgate
    >> > problem to me...

    >> I'm not sure about this. I have a friend who uses one of
    >> the Grandstream phones and it works fine for him. It's
    >> just never worked for any of my ATA's.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > In light of this thread, I've just done a few tests. I can call between my
    > own numbers fine using click to dial, but I tried two other people and it
    > failed both times. One of them obviously had the phone ring, becase a few
    > minutes afterwards I got a call back saying were you trying to call me..?!
    > He said when he answered he got nothing at all, which is exactly what I
    > got.
    >
    > Very strange..
    >
    > Ivor

    So you're saying that it doesn't (really) work?! I've had similar
    experiences where I've had a short duration call showing up in the call list
    (namely to the number that I actually wanted to call) but I still get the
    "Fault. Invalid call" message and nothing's heard on the line. Other
    times, I do not get the short call showing in the call list. However, I do
    always get an incoming call showing from an "unknown" number (I assume this
    is Sipgate's equipment making the call to my phone).

    Dave.

    Red Dave, Nov 13, 2005
  12. Red Dave

    Red Dave Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:43:52 -0000, "Martin²"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > What is your VoIP equipment please ?

    >> An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

    > Which one..?
    >
    >> I forwarded the ports from the router, though (don't use
    >> the ATA as a router) because although it worked without
    >> (presumably using uPnP) it wasn't reliable.

    > Some devices do seem to like this. I had a combination once that flatly
    > refused to work until I put the ATA in the router's DMZ, no matter what
    > STUN or forwarding settings I used.
    >
    > I'm using the AVM Fritz!Box Fon (also from Sipgate) now and that works
    > like a dream, I even have an additional ATA plugged into its' LAN port for
    > an additional 2 numbers, no mucking about with port forwarding or DMZ at
    > all, it just works..!
    >
    > I still don't get reliable results with click to dial though, see my other
    > post.
    >
    > Ivor

    Moving my Linksys PAP2 about on my internal network is something that I
    haven't tried, but since I am unable to both make and receive calls
    normally, I'm not sure what difference moving things about my end would
    make.

    In case it's of interest, when I first had the problems using X-Lite I
    investigated the problem with XTen (formerly, now something else) and showed
    them the SIP message log. They said that the SIP messages were, in
    principle, fine, and that the call was basically waiting for Sipgate's
    equipment. I passed this information back to Sipgate support (Steve
    Mancour) and didn't hear anything ever again...!!

    Dave.

    Red Dave, Nov 13, 2005
  13. Red Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > In light of this thread, I've just done a few tests. I
    > > can call between my own numbers fine using click to
    > > dial, but I tried two other people and it failed both
    > > times. One of them obviously had the phone ring, becase
    > > a few minutes afterwards I got a call back saying were
    > > you trying to call me..?! He said when he answered he
    > > got nothing at all, which is exactly what I got. Very strange..
    > >
    > > Ivor

    > So you're saying that it doesn't (really) work?! I've
    > had similar experiences where I've had a short duration
    > call showing up in the call list (namely to the number
    > that I actually wanted to call) but I still get the
    > "Fault. Invalid call" message and nothing's heard on the
    > line. Other times, I do not get the short call showing
    > in the call list. However, I do always get an incoming
    > call showing from an "unknown" number (I assume this is
    > Sipgate's equipment making the call to my phone).

    Yes that's the same thing I usually get. The unknown number is the system
    calling you back, yes. Sometimes it shows up in ATA logs as "controller"

    I've reported it, I'm hoping to find out more sometime this week, when the
    engineers have had a chance to look into it. Like I said, it's not a huge
    problem for me personally, but I realise it's a useful facility for some
    people.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 13, 2005
  14. Red Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    message news:

    [snip]

    > In case it's of interest, when I first had the problems
    > using X-Lite I investigated the problem with XTen
    > (formerly, now something else) and showed them the SIP
    > message log. They said that the SIP messages were, in
    > principle, fine, and that the call was basically waiting
    > for Sipgate's equipment. I passed this information back
    > to Sipgate support (Steve Mancour) and didn't hear
    > anything ever again...!!

    How long ago was this..? Email him back. Steve is usually a very helpful
    guy, it's unlike him to forget to reply to someone.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 13, 2005
  15. Red Dave

    Red Dave Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Red Dave" <> wrote in
    > message news:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> In case it's of interest, when I first had the problems
    >> using X-Lite I investigated the problem with XTen
    >> (formerly, now something else) and showed them the SIP
    >> message log. They said that the SIP messages were, in
    >> principle, fine, and that the call was basically waiting
    >> for Sipgate's equipment. I passed this information back
    >> to Sipgate support (Steve Mancour) and didn't hear
    >> anything ever again...!!

    > How long ago was this..? Email him back. Steve is usually a very helpful
    > guy, it's unlike him to forget to reply to someone.
    >
    > Ivor

    I chassed a couple of times at the time, and I've raised a new support issue
    now that I've still got the problem with the PAP2. I will persevere a
    little more at least...!

    Red Dave, Nov 13, 2005