    with this - can anyone help me solve this problem?

    ArnaP
    , Jun 8, 2004

  2. Unk Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 04:00:41 GMT, wrote:

    >I keep getting windows popping up with the heading "Click to
    >Bookmark". They are ads for various programs. My spybot and adware 6
    >aren't finding anything nor is my Norton Antivirus. I am going nuts
    >with this - can anyone help me solve this problem?
    >
    >ArnaP

    What kind of windows? Internet Explorer or Messenger?

    Disabling Windows Messenger Service PopUp SPAM
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml
    http://www.crawford100.fsbusiness.co.uk/support/windows_messenger.htm

    How to stop Messenger SPAM: Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", Select "Services and
    Applications" in the left panel, then double-click "services" in the
    right panel. Scroll down the right pane until you see "messenger",
    double click it and click the stop button, click "Apply", "OK"

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
    http://www.clankiller.com/tech/WinXP/misctweaks.php
    http://www.lantalk.net/disable_messenger.php
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089

    "Shoot The Messenger" utility for Windows NT/2000/XP
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    Disable/Enable/Remove Windows Messenger in XP

    Windows Messenger Spam Elimination Freeware
    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    http://grc.com/miscfiles/ShootTheMessenger.exe

    The messenger service is not the problem. The real problem
    is the fact that you are not running a firewall, or if you
    are, you haven't blocked ports 137-139.

    Disabling the messenger service will stop the popups, but if
    you have file and print sharing bound to your external TCP/IP
    connection, then you could also potentially be sharing your
    entire hard disk with the world since netBIOS uses ports 137-139.

    Check your security here: http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    Unk, Jun 8, 2004