    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
    Fax: +44 870 915 2124

    Martin Jay, Aug 15, 2006

  2. Martin Jay

    Graham Guest

    "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've just updated the VOIP Cheap <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/> software on
    > my PC.
    >
    > The latest version allows me to enter just about any phone number I like
    > to be sent as CLI(P) when I make a call.
    >
    > Extremely useful, but it's bound to be abused.

    I'm looking at v2.12 build 365 beta and I can't seem to do that.
    The CLI is greyed out as usual and I can't change it.
    Have you got the same version?

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Aug 15, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh Graham:
    > "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just updated the VOIP Cheap <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/>
    >> software on my PC.
    >>
    >> The latest version allows me to enter just about any phone number I
    >> like to be sent as CLI(P) when I make a call.
    >>
    >> Extremely useful, but it's bound to be abused.

    > I'm looking at v2.12 build 365 beta and I can't seem to do that.
    > The CLI is greyed out as usual and I can't change it.
    > Have you got the same version?

    v2.12 build 365.

    Go to Profile, under Phone numbers, there are several spaces for you to
    enter various numbers, fill one of those out, then go to settings, call
    settings, you can now choose the number you wish to send.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 15, 2006
  4. Martin Jay

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <>, Graham <> writes
    >"Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just updated the VOIP Cheap <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/> software on
    >> my PC.
    >>
    >> The latest version allows me to enter just about any phone number I like
    >> to be sent as CLI(P) when I make a call.
    >>
    >> Extremely useful, but it's bound to be abused.

    >I'm looking at v2.12 build 365 beta and I can't seem to do that.
    >The CLI is greyed out as usual and I can't change it.
    >Have you got the same version?

    Yep, that's the version I have.

    Try adding a number under your profile from the file menu.

    Then select 'Options' from tools menu.

    Under 'Call settings' I can then select the number I entered under the
    'My Caller ID' setting.
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

    Martin Jay, Aug 15, 2006
  5. Martin Jay

    J B Guest

    > enter various numbers, fill one of those out

    S'cuse me, but don't we fill *in* in the UK?

    --

    J B

    J B, Aug 15, 2006
  6. Martin Jay

    Graham Guest

    > Yep, that's the version I have.
    >
    > Try adding a number under your profile from the file menu.
    >
    > Then select 'Options' from tools menu.
    >
    > Under 'Call settings' I can then select the number I entered under the 'My
    > Caller ID' setting.

    I've filled in all the fields in 'my profile' but 'my caller id' remains
    fixed!!

    Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Aug 15, 2006
  7. Thus spaketh J B:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:BzoEg.3930$...
    >
    >> enter various numbers, fill one of those out

    > S'cuse me, but don't we fill *in* in the UK?

    Probably, but then I have put a little bit of weight on! ;-)

    --
    Caller Display Units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 15, 2006
  8. Martin Jay

    paul123 Guest

    Graham wrote:

    > > Yep, that's the version I have.
    > >
    > > Try adding a number under your profile from the file menu.
    > >
    > > Then select 'Options' from tools menu.
    > >
    > > Under 'Call settings' I can then select the number I entered under the 'My
    > > Caller ID' setting.

    > I've filled in all the fields in 'my profile' but 'my caller id' remains
    > fixed!!
    >
    > Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

    Odd. In your profile, I take it you've added phone numbers on the right
    hand side where you have five rows with options (on a click down list)
    for home, office, mobile, voip and fax?

    As described by Martin, you should then be able to select one of the
    numbers entered in your profile - In options->Call Settings and down at
    the bottom of that section "My Caller ID"

    paul123, Aug 15, 2006
  9. Martin Jay

    alexd Guest

    Martin Jay wrote:

    > I've just updated the VOIP Cheap <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/> software
    > on my PC.
    >
    > The latest version allows me to enter just about any phone number I like
    > to be sent as CLI(P) when I make a call.

    And does it actually work when you call, say a landline or a mobile?

    > Extremely useful, but it's bound to be abused.

    Well it's not like CLI isn't already abused; it's just that now it doesn't
    take as much effort ;-)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:58:50 up 22 days, 3:20, 3 users, load average: 0.16, 0.26, 0.17

    alexd, Aug 15, 2006
  10. Martin Jay

    Graham Guest

    >> Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

    > Odd. In your profile, I take it you've added phone numbers on the right
    > hand side where you have five rows with options (on a click down list)
    > for home, office, mobile, voip and fax?
    >
    > As described by Martin, you should then be able to select one of the
    > numbers entered in your profile - In options->Call Settings and down at
    > the bottom of that section "My Caller ID"

    OK I've solved the mystery
    I signed up with voipcheap.co.uk when they gave you a geographic number.
    With this account the CLI can be hidden but *not* changed

    I just signed up for annother account, and when I log the softphone
    onto it I get the dropdown box like you guys.

    When calling my landline the caller ID display reads "unavailible" and 1471
    returns the spoofed number prefixed with 'international call'
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Aug 15, 2006
  11. Martin Jay

    Jono Guest

    Martin Jay formulated on Tuesday :
    > I've just updated the VOIP Cheap <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/> software on my
    > PC.
    >
    > The latest version allows me to enter just about any phone number I like to
    > be sent as CLI(P) when I make a call.
    >
    > Extremely useful, but it's bound to be abused.

    Has anyone tried setting their own CLI on an Asterisk trunk yet?

    Jono, Aug 15, 2006
  12. Martin Jay

    paul123 Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Martin Jay formulated on Tuesday :
    > > I've just updated the VOIP Cheap <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/> software on my
    > > PC.
    > >
    > > The latest version allows me to enter just about any phone number I like to
    > > be sent as CLI(P) when I make a call.
    > >
    > > Extremely useful, but it's bound to be abused.

    > Has anyone tried setting their own CLI on an Asterisk trunk yet?

    I tried this statement in my trunk (and I assume that's right?):

    callerid="My Name" <0123456789>

    No joy. I'm still getting the same as yesterday - ie no caller ID. My
    call detail reports show "2131665134", which is what comes up if I call
    from any Betamax softphone with no voipin number.

    paul123, Aug 16, 2006
  13. Martin Jay

    Linus Surguy Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote:

    >Jono wrote:
    >> Martin Jay formulated on Tuesday :
    >> > I've just updated the VOIP Cheap <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/> software on my
    >> > PC.
    >> >
    >> > The latest version allows me to enter just about any phone number I like to
    >> > be sent as CLI(P) when I make a call.
    >> >
    >> > Extremely useful, but it's bound to be abused.

    >> Has anyone tried setting their own CLI on an Asterisk trunk yet?

    >I tried this statement in my trunk (and I assume that's right?):
    >
    >callerid="My Name" <0123456789>
    >
    >No joy. I'm still getting the same as yesterday - ie no caller ID. My
    >call detail reports show "2131665134", which is what comes up if I call
    >from any Betamax softphone with no voipin number.

    Out of interest, what number where you trying to call when you saw the 213
    number? (If privacy is a concern, just give us the first few digits)

    Linus

    www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
    Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!

    Linus Surguy, Aug 23, 2006
  14. Martin Jay

    paul123 Guest

    Linus Surguy wrote:
    > "paul123" <> wrote:
    >

    > >Jono wrote:
    > >> Martin Jay formulated on Tuesday :

    > >> Has anyone tried setting their own CLI on an Asterisk trunk yet?

    > >I tried this statement in my trunk (and I assume that's right?):
    > >
    > >callerid="My Name" <0123456789>
    > >
    > >No joy. I'm still getting the same as yesterday - ie no caller ID. My
    > >call detail reports show "2131665134", which is what comes up if I call
    > >from any Betamax softphone with no voipin number.

    > Out of interest, what number where you trying to call when you saw the 213
    > number? (If privacy is a concern, just give us the first few digits)
    >
    > Linus

    It was a voiptalk provided Cambridge number: 01223-85XXXX - and I was
    testcalling myself from my voipstunt number (0208XXXXXXX)

    Caller ID returned to normal shortly after that last post on this
    issue.

    What was that 2131665134 - an IP address 213.166.5.134?

    paul123, Aug 23, 2006
  15. Martin Jay

    Jono Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote in message

    > What was that 2131665134 - an IP address 213.166.5.134?

    Tracing route to media-one-gw.magrathea.net [213.166.5.134]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms WRT54G [192.168.1.1]
    2 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms 10.153.64.1
    3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 62.30.241.39
    4 16 ms 19 ms 17 ms usr506-kno.cableinet.co.uk [194.117.138.10]
    5 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 194.117.136.149
    6 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms tele1-know-rab.telewest.net
    [194.117.136.158]
    7 17 ms 19 ms 17 ms 194.117.136.146
    8 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms linx-the-1.magrathea.net [195.66.225.11]
    9 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms media-one-gw.magrathea.net [213.166.5.134]

    Trace complete.

    Jono, Aug 24, 2006
  16. Martin Jay

    paul123 Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > "paul123" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > What was that 2131665134 - an IP address 213.166.5.134?
    > >

    > Tracing route to media-one-gw.magrathea.net [213.166.5.134]
    > over a maximum of 30 hops:
    >
    > 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms WRT54G [192.168.1.1]
    > 2 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms 10.153.64.1
    > 3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 62.30.241.39
    > 4 16 ms 19 ms 17 ms usr506-kno.cableinet.co.uk [194.117.138.10]
    > 5 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 194.117.136.149
    > 6 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms tele1-know-rab.telewest.net
    > [194.117.136.158]
    > 7 17 ms 19 ms 17 ms 194.117.136.146
    > 8 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms linx-the-1.magrathea.net [195.66.225.11]
    > 9 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms media-one-gw.magrathea.net [213.166.5.134]
    >
    > Trace complete.

    Aha, one of Linus's bunch. Is voiptalk part of Magrathea then?

    paul123, Aug 24, 2006
  17. "paul123" <> wrote in message

    > Jono wrote:
    >> "paul123" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > What was that 2131665134 - an IP address 213.166.5.134?
    >> >

    >> Tracing route to media-one-gw.magrathea.net [213.166.5.134]
    >> over a maximum of 30 hops:
    >>
    >> 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms WRT54G [192.168.1.1]
    >> 2 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms 10.153.64.1
    >> 3 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 62.30.241.39
    >> 4 16 ms 19 ms 17 ms usr506-kno.cableinet.co.uk
    >> [194.117.138.10]
    >> 5 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 194.117.136.149
    >> 6 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms tele1-know-rab.telewest.net
    >> [194.117.136.158]
    >> 7 17 ms 19 ms 17 ms 194.117.136.146
    >> 8 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms linx-the-1.magrathea.net [195.66.225.11]
    >> 9 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms media-one-gw.magrathea.net
    >> [213.166.5.134]
    >>
    >> Trace complete.

    > Aha, one of Linus's bunch. Is voiptalk part of Magrathea then?

    They use Magrathea's number ranges, definately.

    --
    GNUEMAIL-Postmaster
    postmaster<at>gnuemail.com

    GNUEMAIL-Postmaster, Aug 24, 2006
  18. Martin Jay

    Linus Surguy Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote:
    >> >No joy. I'm still getting the same as yesterday - ie no caller ID. My
    >> >call detail reports show "2131665134", which is what comes up if I call
    >> >from any Betamax softphone with no voipin number.

    >> Out of interest, what number where you trying to call when you saw the 213
    >> number? (If privacy is a concern, just give us the first few digits)
    >>
    >> Linus

    >It was a voiptalk provided Cambridge number: 01223-85XXXX - and I was
    >testcalling myself from my voipstunt number (0208XXXXXXX)
    >
    >Caller ID returned to normal shortly after that last post on this
    >issue.
    >
    >What was that 2131665134 - an IP address 213.166.5.134?

    Some versions of Asterisk have a bug which incorrectly process an IP address
    appearing in the from address of sip:1.2.3.4 (i.e. a valid SIP URI without a
    hostname portion) as actually the username '1234'.

    Given that that address had some significance for us, I was wondering how it
    could have been related to what you refer to as the 'Betamax' products!

    Linus Surguy, Aug 24, 2006
  19. Martin Jay

    paul123 Guest

    Linus Surguy wrote:

    > >> Out of interest, what number where you trying to call when you saw the 213
    > >> number? (If privacy is a concern, just give us the first few digits)
    > >>
    > >> Linus

    > >It was a voiptalk provided Cambridge number: 01223-85XXXX - and I was
    > >testcalling myself from my voipstunt number (0208XXXXXXX)
    > >
    > >Caller ID returned to normal shortly after that last post on this
    > >issue.
    > >
    > >What was that 2131665134 - an IP address 213.166.5.134?

    > Some versions of Asterisk have a bug which incorrectly process an IP address
    > appearing in the from address of sip:1.2.3.4 (i.e. a valid SIP URI without a
    > hostname portion) as actually the username '1234'.
    >
    > Given that that address had some significance for us, I was wondering how it
    > could have been related to what you refer to as the 'Betamax' products!

    Sorry Linus, maybe I was a bit vague or unclear in my post. On August
    15 there was an issue when calling out through the Betamax variants
    mentioned in a separate thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom.voip/browse_frm/thread/f4f2d0af6643b427
    - when CallerID wasn't being sent.

    So, my reference in this thread to Betamax was that they didn't seem to
    be sending CallerID. This call was made through a Voipstunt (betamax)
    number that had a 028xxxxxx number associated with it. It just happened
    that my voiptalk number was the one that I called to see the issue for
    myself.

    There are 2 lines in my CDR - the first for the outgoing call and the
    second for the incoming call. This second line, the incoming call, was
    where I was seeing 2131665134 as the callers ID.

    I also did a couple of other tests to the same voiptalk number, from
    voipdiscount and voipcheap.com softphones - all with the same results,
    except of course there was only the incoming entry in the CDR. Oh and
    these two accounts don't have numbers associated with them. hope I
    haven't confused things further.

    If there is a bug to be patched, I'd sure like to patch it. I'm on
    Trixbox 1.1.1.

    paul123, Aug 24, 2006