Clevo laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul Cross, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Paul Cross

    Paul Cross Guest

    I bought a Clevo 5800P (distributed by Pioneer, Australia) around two years
    ago, and it had been working well until around two weeks ago when I started
    receiving the following message on POST.

    ERROR
    0271: Check date and time settings
    WARNING
    0251: CMOS Checksum bad - Default configuration used.

    Followed by the usual press F1 to continue... F2 to enter setup, etc. I have
    since bought a new CMOS battery, thinking this was the cause, and installed
    it - I still get the same error.

    I bought a second laptop (secondhand Clevo 4200) which since I bought it has
    more/less exhibited the same issues with the CMOS - and making me enter a
    date on POST. Coincidence? or a manufacturing fault?

    Has anyone had the same problems? or know of a solution? I have writen to
    Clevo and are waiting on a reply...

    Thanks Paul.
    Paul Cross, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Paul Cross

    Ross Durie Guest

    Typical solution is to reflash BIOS. If that doesn't work then replace
    motherboard.

    --
    Ross

    Ross Durie, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Paul Cross

    Wizard Guest

    The system battery is dead, replace it.

    Wizard, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Paul Cross

    Stuart Guest

    Wizard wrote:
    > The system battery is dead, replace it.

    Did you read his thread? That was the first thing he did!

    Stuart
    Stuart, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Stuart wrote:
    > Wizard wrote:
    >
    >> The system battery is dead, replace it.

    > Did you read his thread? That was the first thing he did!
    >
    > Stuart

    System battery is dead. CMOS battery was also probably dead, but he's
    replaced it-now he needs to replace the system battery.
    Calvin Crumrine, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Paul Cross

    Stuart Guest

    Calvin Crumrine wrote:

    > Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> Wizard wrote:
    >>
    >>> The system battery is dead, replace it.

    >> Did you read his thread? That was the first thing he did!
    >>
    >> Stuart
    >>

    > System battery is dead. CMOS battery was also probably dead, but he's
    > replaced it-now he needs to replace the system battery.

    System battery? Where would you find it and what exactly is its purpose?

    Stuart
    Stuart, Aug 11, 2004
  7. Paul Cross

    Stuart Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > Calvin Crumrine wrote:
    >
    >> Stuart wrote:

    >>> Did you read his thread? That was the first thing he did!
    >>>
    >>> Stuart
    >>>

    >> System battery is dead. CMOS battery was also probably dead, but he's
    >> replaced it-now he needs to replace the system battery.

    > System battery? Where would you find it and what exactly is its purpose?
    >
    > Stuart

    Sorry replied to soon, are you referring to the battery used to power
    the system when not plugged into the mains.

    Forgot it was a laptop when I posted the last one.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Stuart wrote:

    > Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> Calvin Crumrine wrote:

    >>> System battery is dead. CMOS battery was also probably dead, but he's
    >>> replaced it-now he needs to replace the system battery.

    >> System battery? Where would you find it and what exactly is its purpose?
    >>
    >> Stuart

    > Sorry replied to soon, are you referring to the battery used to power
    > the system when not plugged into the mains.
    >
    > Forgot it was a laptop when I posted the last one.
    >
    > Stuart

    Yes, that's what I call the system battery.

    I've never heard of a Clevo so I can't cite specifics, but I have seen
    laptops that run fine, startup, shutdown, etc. as long as they're
    plugged in. The strange thing about these is that not only won't they
    run from the system battery, but as soon as you unplug them (or at least
    within a short time after you unplug them) the CMOS loses its settings.

    The solution, in all cases, was to replace both the CMOS battery & the
    system battery. The situation might not be exactly the same though
    because, thinking back, I always started by replacing the system
    battery. IMO a notebook that won't run off battery isn't worth
    repairing. Once I got it to run off the system battery, then I addressed
    the problem of losing the CMOS settings-which, in all cases, was solved
    by replacing the CMOS battery.
    Calvin Crumrine, Aug 11, 2004