    and now want it at work...

    From what I have googled, it isn't possible, but hey, you gotta try right?

    Maybe it can be fleeced from a legit XP install and chucked into Win2k?

    Nathan, hows about you help me out with this one? :)

    T.N.O., Sep 10, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    > > From what I have googled, it isn't possible, but hey, you gotta try
    > > right?

    > I seriously doubt that you could "Add" support for cleartype in 2K, since

    it
    > would require replacing all of the code that handles drawing text to the
    > screen.

    ok... figured that it was simply a dream...

    T.N.O., Sep 10, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:43:17 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
    >> > From what I have googled, it isn't possible, but hey, you gotta try
    >> > right?

    >> I seriously doubt that you could "Add" support for cleartype in 2K, since

    > it
    >> would require replacing all of the code that handles drawing text to the
    >> screen.

    > ok... figured that it was simply a dream...

    I assumed you have tried the "smooth screen fonts" under the effects tab
    in the display settings box?* It's not Cleartype, but it is antialiased
    fonts.

    * Thats from memory, I haven't used Windows in a while so the actual
    settings might be called something else.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 10, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "AD." wrote
    > I assumed you have tried the "smooth screen fonts" under the effects tab
    > in the display settings box?* It's not Cleartype, but it is antialiased
    > fonts.

    yeah have tried it... it ain't as pretty...

    T.N.O., Sep 10, 2003
  5. "T.N.O." <> writes:

    >Does anyone know how to turn on that antiailiasing font thing in Win2k... I
    >know it is in XP, but is it available in 2k, I've got used to it at home,
    >and now want it at work...

    >From what I have googled, it isn't possible, but hey, you gotta try right?

    As google has told you, it's not possible. MS went through multiple
    iterations of fixing up various Windows components that caused problems when
    Cleartype was enabled (that is, text wouldn't fit into fields properly, wasn't
    rendered properly, interfered with the background, etc etc). To get
    Cleartype, you can't just replace the text-rendering subsystem, it requires
    changes throughout the OS. Going through all of this for Win2K users wouldn't
    be worthwhile for MS.

    Cleartype is, at the moment, the only real reason I can think of for upgrading
    to XP. For those who haven't seen it yet, the difference is like night and
    day.

    Peter.

    Peter Gutmann, Sep 11, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    Steven H Guest

    In article <bjp0ih$l22eh$-berlin.de>, pgut001
    @cs.auckland.ac.nz says...
    > "T.N.O." <> writes:
    >
    > >Does anyone know how to turn on that antiailiasing font thing in Win2k... I
    > >know it is in XP, but is it available in 2k, I've got used to it at home,
    > >and now want it at work...

    > >From what I have googled, it isn't possible, but hey, you gotta try right?

    > As google has told you, it's not possible. MS went through multiple
    > iterations of fixing up various Windows components that caused problems when
    > Cleartype was enabled (that is, text wouldn't fit into fields properly, wasn't
    > rendered properly, interfered with the background, etc etc). To get
    > Cleartype, you can't just replace the text-rendering subsystem, it requires
    > changes throughout the OS. Going through all of this for Win2K users wouldn't
    > be worthwhile for MS.
    >
    > Cleartype is, at the moment, the only real reason I can think of for upgrading
    > to XP. For those who haven't seen it yet, the difference is like night and
    > day.

    then in all likelyhood iam in the darkness (unless it is enabled by
    default) - how do you switch it on
    Steven H

    Steven H, Sep 11, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bjm528$j2r$>, says...
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > Does anyone know how to turn on that antiailiasing font thing in
    > > Win2k... I know it is in XP, but is it available in 2k, I've got used
    > > to it at home, and now want it at work...
    > >
    > > From what I have googled, it isn't possible, but hey, you gotta try
    > > right?
    > >
    > > Maybe it can be fleeced from a legit XP install and chucked into
    > > Win2k?
    > >
    > > Nathan, hows about you help me out with this one? :)

    > I seriously doubt that you could "Add" support for cleartype in 2K, since it
    > would require replacing all of the code that handles drawing text to the
    > screen.

    Only works on LCD screens too,

    Mainlander, Sep 11, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <bjp0ih$l22eh$-berlin.de>, pgut001
    > @cs.auckland.ac.nz says...
    > > "T.N.O." <> writes:
    > >
    > > >Does anyone know how to turn on that antiailiasing font thing in Win2k... I
    > > >know it is in XP, but is it available in 2k, I've got used to it at home,
    > > >and now want it at work...

    > > >From what I have googled, it isn't possible, but hey, you gotta try right?

    > > As google has told you, it's not possible. MS went through multiple
    > > iterations of fixing up various Windows components that caused problems when
    > > Cleartype was enabled (that is, text wouldn't fit into fields properly, wasn't
    > > rendered properly, interfered with the background, etc etc). To get
    > > Cleartype, you can't just replace the text-rendering subsystem, it requires
    > > changes throughout the OS. Going through all of this for Win2K users wouldn't
    > > be worthwhile for MS.
    > >
    > > Cleartype is, at the moment, the only real reason I can think of for upgrading
    > > to XP. For those who haven't seen it yet, the difference is like night and
    > > day.

    > then in all likelyhood iam in the darkness (unless it is enabled by
    > default) - how do you switch it on

    I assume you are using a flat screen - it does not work with CRT
    displays.

    Mainlander, Sep 11, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > > I seriously doubt that you could "Add" support for cleartype in 2K,

    since it
    > > would require replacing all of the code that handles drawing text to the
    > > screen.

    > Only works on LCD screens too,

    no it doesn't... it seriously makes CRT's look better too, heaps better.

    T.N.O., Sep 11, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > I assume you are using a flat screen - it does not work with CRT
    > displays.

    nah, it works with CRT's too... just not quite as dramatic.

    T.N.O., Sep 11, 2003
  11. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Mainlander" wrote
    > > > I seriously doubt that you could "Add" support for cleartype in 2K,

    > since it
    > > > would require replacing all of the code that handles drawing text to

    the
    > > > screen.

    > > Only works on LCD screens too,

    > no it doesn't... it seriously makes CRT's look better too, heaps better.

    Makes mine look blurry.
    It even warns me that its good for LCD panels but will look blurry on a CRT
    Thats the subjective effect of antialiasing, it makes low resolutions look
    smoother and higher resolutions look blurry.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 11, 2003
  12. "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "Olson Johnson" wrote
    > > Makes mine look blurry.

    > mines great... each to there own I guess.
    >
    > > It even warns me that its good for LCD panels but will look blurry on a

    > CRT
    >
    > really... in a popup warning box or what? I only ask as I didnt see it.
    >
    > > Thats the subjective effect of antialiasing, it makes low resolutions

    look
    > > smoother and higher resolutions look blurry.

    > oh ok, is 1024x768x85hz high or low?

    From XP Help

    To use ClearType for screen fonts

    1.. Open Display in Control Panel.
    2.. On the Appearance tab, click Effects.
    3.. In the Effects dialog box, select the Use the following method to
    smooth edges of screen fonts check box.
    4.. Click ClearType in the list.
    Notes

    a.. To open Display, click Start, click Control Panel, and then
    double-click Display.
    b.. ClearType is ideal for portable computer and other flat screen
    monitors. ClearType may appear slightly blurry on desktop computer monitors.
    c.. Whether you select Standard or ClearType from the list, you must have
    a video card and monitor that support a color setting of at least 256
    colors. Best results are achieved with High color (24-bit) or Highest color
    (32-bit) support. Click the Settings tab to set Color quality.
    Related Topics

    Olson Johnson, Sep 11, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    Bret Guest

    What's with the .gif arrow Olsen?

    Bret, Sep 12, 2003
  14. "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:47:56 +1200, "Olson Johnson" <> wrote:
    >
    > What's with the .gif arrow Olsen?

    Sorry, just cut and pasted from XP help to Outlook Express :(
    Microsoft thing I guess.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 12, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <_C68b.671$>, says...

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > "Mainlander" wrote

    > > since it

    > the
    > > >
    > > > Only works on LCD screens too,

    > > no it doesn't... it seriously makes CRT's look better too, heaps better.
    > >

    > Makes mine look blurry.
    > It even warns me that its good for LCD panels but will look blurry on a CRT
    > Thats the subjective effect of antialiasing, it makes low resolutions look
    > smoother and higher resolutions look blurry.

    It is designed to work on LCD panels, where each colour is a separate
    pixel, unlike CRTs where the three colours are all in the same pixel.

    Mainlander, Sep 18, 2003
  16. Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <_C68b.671$>, says...
    >>
    >> "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >>> "Mainlander" wrote

    >>> no it doesn't... it seriously makes CRT's look better too, heaps
    >>> better.
    >>>

    >> Makes mine look blurry.
    >> It even warns me that its good for LCD panels but will look blurry
    >> on a CRT Thats the subjective effect of antialiasing, it makes low
    >> resolutions look smoother and higher resolutions look blurry.

    > It is designed to work on LCD panels, where each colour is a separate
    > pixel, unlike CRTs where the three colours are all in the same pixel.

    Not true. The phosphors for each colour are still lined up one by one.
    They're not right on top of each other.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 18, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bkbu85$on5$>, says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > In article <_C68b.671$>, says...
    > >>
    > >> "T.N.O." <> wrote in message

    > >> Makes mine look blurry.
    > >> It even warns me that its good for LCD panels but will look blurry
    > >> on a CRT Thats the subjective effect of antialiasing, it makes low
    > >> resolutions look smoother and higher resolutions look blurry.

    > > It is designed to work on LCD panels, where each colour is a separate
    > > pixel, unlike CRTs where the three colours are all in the same pixel.

    > Not true. The phosphors for each colour are still lined up one by one.
    > They're not right on top of each other.

    Is true. The three colour pixels that make up each display pixel on an
    LCD screen are individually addressable unlike a CRT display where they
    are addressed as one unit. I never said anything about the absolute
    positioning of the three display pixels.

    See here for an explanation of how it works.

    http://grc.com/cleartype.htm

    Mainlander, Sep 18, 2003
  18. Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <bkbu85$on5$>,
    > says...
    >> Mainlander wrote:
    >>> In article <_C68b.671$>, says...

    >>> It is designed to work on LCD panels, where each colour is a
    >>> separate pixel, unlike CRTs where the three colours are all in the
    >>> same pixel.

    >> Not true. The phosphors for each colour are still lined up one by
    >> one. They're not right on top of each other.

    > Is true. The three colour pixels that make up each display pixel on an
    > LCD screen are individually addressable unlike a CRT display where
    > they are addressed as one unit. I never said anything about the
    > absolute positioning of the three display pixels.
    >
    > See here for an explanation of how it works.
    >
    > http://grc.com/cleartype.htm

    I've read it, and I'm still confused. The pixels on a CRT ARE digitally
    addressable. If they weren't, then you wouldn't be able to see ANYTHING on
    your screen.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 19, 2003