clearnet problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by rock, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. rock

    rock Guest

    The home150 dialup plan is almost completely non-functional at night, there
    appears to be no where near enough bandwidth. The really frustrating thing
    is that if the problem is a fault the tech staff on the phone appear to be
    very non-technical and sound like they are uniformed as to any problems that
    might exist anyhow. Talk about an inefficient way to run a company, you ring
    tech support, they flounder for what seems eternity and at the end of it you
    are left with no explanation or solution to the problem. I can understand
    isp's having problems from time to time but if they don't inform their
    customers of this how is the customer expected to have patience when they
    don't even know if the problem is being looked at.
    This problem as existed for at least a week now but I have no idea if this
    problem is being worked on or just ignored, the tech staff certainly know
    nothing so what am I suppose to think, talk about bad customer relations. So
    is anyone else having this problem, I assume that because there are no
    complaints here that it is only people in certain areas of the country that
    are being affected.

    Of course I will now change to another isp yet again, the internet use to be
    so reliable and the customer service good before every man and his dog got
    on the bandwagon and yes it was just as cheap if you shopped around, of
    course xtra were charging a lot more than others for a long time but most
    people just accepted xtra as it was already on their computer when they
    bought it.
    rock, Sep 1, 2003

  2. rock

    Wombus Guest

    I'm on Clear net home 150, and having no problems. I sometimes get a busy
    line so have to dial 2 or 3 times, but once i am in good as gold. where are
    you dialing in from... I'm in Hamilton and downloading at a steady 5kb/sec.

    Wombus, Sep 1, 2003

  3. rock

    Joe Citizen Guest

    What do you use to measure your download speed. If you're reading it from an
    internet explorer progress bar or inside Kazaa or something you may be
    surprised how inaccurate they can be. You should try DuMeter for pinpoint
    accuracy.

    http://www.dumeter.com/

    And bandwidth is only half the equation. Before the hoards joined the net I
    could ping NZ game servers as low as 80ms, but usually 120 to 160ms. Now
    with dial up the average ping is around 280ms, with the lowest ping I can
    get at 170ms (extremely rare). But even then this figure is deceptively
    generous; these days we also have time outs of up to 8secs, which of course
    gets you kicked from the game server. This never used to happen but is now
    present across all ISP's I have tested (5 or 6).

    My Home 150 experience was just like the rocks; very poor.

    Joe.

    Joe Citizen, Sep 1, 2003
  4. rock

    rock Guest

    "Joe Citizen" <> wrote in message
    > What do you use to measure your download speed. If you're reading it from

    an
    > internet explorer progress bar or inside Kazaa or something you may be
    > surprised how inaccurate they can be. You should try DuMeter for pinpoint
    > accuracy.
    >
    > http://www.dumeter.com/

    Thanks, I did not emphasize the extent of the problem obviously, no need to
    measure it as there is basically nothing to measure, ie webpages, email
    etc.. take an extremely long time to download and the connect box in windows
    shows very little activity, like nothing most of the time then short bursts
    of data, when I said the connection was almost completely non-functional I
    was not kidding. Although nighttime internet is normally slower the problem
    as explained as been around for the last week or so, so something has
    changed with the network, whether it is something clear will fix, I don't
    know as they don't acknowledge the problem to start with.
    rock, Sep 1, 2003
  5. rock

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <ucG4b.134045$>,
    says...
    > What do you use to measure your download speed. If you're reading it from an
    > internet explorer progress bar or inside Kazaa or something you may be
    > surprised how inaccurate they can be. You should try DuMeter for pinpoint
    > accuracy.
    >
    > http://www.dumeter.com/
    >
    > And bandwidth is only half the equation. Before the hoards joined the net I
    > could ping NZ game servers as low as 80ms, but usually 120 to 160ms. Now
    > with dial up the average ping is around 280ms, with the lowest ping I can
    > get at 170ms (extremely rare). But even then this figure is deceptively
    > generous; these days we also have time outs of up to 8secs, which of course
    > gets you kicked from the game server. This never used to happen but is now
    > present across all ISP's I have tested (5 or 6).
    >
    > My Home 150 experience was just like the rocks; very poor.

    If you want the super low ping times you should be prepared to pay more
    to get it on a niche ISP.
    Mainlander, Sep 2, 2003
  6. rock

    rock Guest

    "Roger Ramjet" <> wrote in message

    > One of the things you have to realise with dialup modems is no matter
    > who the ISP is there are many factors that can cause poor
    > connectivity. Often it is an exchange issue where ISPs (and their
    > helpdesk staff) are unaware there is a problem.

    Yeah this is easily ruled out though by trying another isp from the same
    location.

    > The point is, before you go changing ISP every two weeks - check your
    > equipment out. Borrow a friend's user and pass from another ISP and
    > see if it is any better.

    Yep I do all that and more. Everytime I have had to change isp it has
    definitely been a problem with the isp, unfortunately the tech staff you
    talk to don't have much idea and even though you can provide a logical
    argument to pinpoint the problem with them they are unable to understand or
    reason a logical explanation, it's as if they have so little confidence in
    what they know that they can't actually think anything through, they have
    stock answers and can't think outside of these, probably because they have
    no technical understanding at all and only know what they know from wrote
    learning with no actual comprehension of any of it. Now if you could get
    this info to someone who actually knew what they were talking about you
    could get some action but these people are just not accessible and the so
    called tech staff you do talk to are incapable of passing the info on. They
    really should have someone qualified available to customers who are
    reporting apparent network errors which the techphone person is unable to
    resolve or understand but I know I might as well wish for magic powers as
    wish for this to ever happen so it leaves you with the only solution of
    changing isp's if the problem does not go away in a reasonable time.
    For the record I have never had an internet problem that I thought was the
    isp but turned out to be my problem, I only ring the isp when there is a
    problem at their end which always turns out to be futile but I live in hope.
    Also of note is that in the earlier days of internet I had none of these
    problems when it came to reporting network problems and isp problems were a
    lot less frequent then, at least with the isp's I used.
    rock, Sep 2, 2003
  7. rock

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    > unfortunately the tech staff you
    > talk to don't have much idea and even though you can provide a logical
    > argument to pinpoint the problem with them they are unable to understand or
    > reason a logical explanation

    Whenever you call an ISP (no matter what ISP) you are unlikely to get
    a network architect or somebody with high level qualifications because
    they are low paying jobs (Clear's 150 plan is $14.95 a month). Most
    tech staff will know the basics and most have some qualifications this
    side of the firewall (A+, MCP etc).

    As far as your problem is concerned - it could be caused by; faulty
    extension, faulty splitter (at jack), wrong modem drivers, damaged
    modem, exchange problems (0867 # problems included), unsupported spec
    (v92), faulty jack point, poor phone line (line noise), a virus and of
    course ISP problems which can include local or international routing
    problems and capacity issues. Either way you can work out the cause of
    the problem a through process of elimination.
    Roger Ramjet, Sep 2, 2003
  8. In article <>, "rock" <> wrote:
    >The home150 dialup plan is almost completely non-functional at night, there
    >appears to be no where near enough bandwidth. The really frustrating thing

    Just want I dont want to hear, Ive only just joined up with Clear.

    One thing Ive noticed is ISP's will NEVER admit to a lack of bandwidth.
    When Ive changed ISP's ive kept the old one for a month & I could do direct
    speed comparisons.
    Unforntunatly the fast/reliable ISP's arent cheap. The last good ISP I was on
    charged more than DSL rates if you exceeded the monthly limit.I thought I'd save myself
    $30 a month by switching. The new ISP just got worse each month, so now Ive just switched to
    Clear.

    (One poster may be having trouble with the modem 'retraining' & dropping speed??)
    Steve Robertson, Sep 2, 2003
  9. rock

    Joe Citizen Guest

    Hi again,

    Everyone here has made some pretty good points.
    I really think you should give ping plotter a go as I mentioned earlier.

    It will determine...
    1. Is the problem your pc?
    2. Is the problem your line, local exchange or path to your ISP
    3. If the problem is on your ISP's network.
    4. Is the problem an international bottleneck.
    5. Is the problem restricted to the site (s) you are trying to access.

    It is well worth it and easy to understand after around 10 minutes reading
    the guide at the website. Its free!

    http://www.pingplotter.com/

    Joe.

    "rock" <> wrote in message news:3f542ac4$...

    > "Roger Ramjet" <> wrote in message
    > > > unfortunately the tech staff you
    > > > talk to don't have much idea and even though you can provide a logical
    > > > argument to pinpoint the problem with them they are unable to

    understand
    > or
    > > > reason a logical explanation

    > > Whenever you call an ISP (no matter what ISP) you are unlikely to get
    > > a network architect or somebody with high level qualifications because
    > > they are low paying jobs (Clear's 150 plan is $14.95 a month). Most
    > > tech staff will know the basics and most have some qualifications this
    > > side of the firewall (A+, MCP etc).

    > Yeah I know and understand why this is the case but it would be nice if

    you
    > were put onto someone more qualified in the event that the normal

    telephone

    Joe Citizen, Sep 2, 2003
  10. rock

    Joe Citizen Guest

    > Thanks for that, I will try it. By the way the home150 plan is not
    unlimited
    > but limited to 150 hours a month.

    Yeah I know, I strayed a little there talking about Home 150 then talking
    about dial up in general.
    I used to be with Home 150, and ZFree before then, and even ClearNet before
    that, among others.

    Cheers, Joe.
    Joe Citizen, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Joe Citizen wrote:

    > And bandwidth is only half the equation. Before the hoards joined the net I
    > could ping NZ game servers as low as 80ms, but usually 120 to 160ms. Now
    > with dial up the average ping is around 280ms, with the lowest ping I can
    > get at 170ms (extremely rare). But even then this figure is deceptively
    > generous; these days we also have time outs of up to 8secs, which of course
    > gets you kicked from the game server. This never used to happen but is now
    > present across all ISP's I have tested (5 or 6).

    If its happening on all ISPs, has it occured that it may be your equipment or
    phoneline causeing the problem? Dialup equipment either answers the call or
    doesnt, and if the core network was causing that degree of latency, you would
    have screams from the jetstart users first.

    FWIW I still get 80-110ms on anything within my isps network when on dialup

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 2, 2003
  12. rock

    Joe Citizen Guest

    > If its happening on all ISPs, has it occured that it may be your equipment
    or
    > phoneline causeing the problem? Dialup equipment either answers the call

    or
    > doesnt, and if the core network was causing that degree of latency, you

    would
    > have screams from the jetstart users first.

    Thats what I too originally thought. Its just me, the situation can't be
    this bad all over. I haven't tried all ISP's just 5 or 6.
    But after asking around, and even taking my box elsewhere and trying friends
    pc's here I have resigned myself to the fact that dial up just isn't as good
    anymore.
    I'm pretty far south, maybe the distance compounds the problem,

    > FWIW I still get 80-110ms on anything within my isps network when on

    dialup

    I can ping my ISP at120ms tonight, better than usual. But if I have any
    traffic moving with it, say multiplayer game data at 3.5kb (typical average)
    the ping increases as do the timeouts. Even over 30sec pinging each sec I'm
    still getting some returns as high as 450ms, but averaging 130.

    The situation becomes impossible when the ISP throttles the data. In my
    experience it always drops to3.2k, below the minimum required by most games
    of around 3.6k of uninterrupted bandwidth. This really screws up online
    games.

    Joe.
    Joe Citizen, Sep 2, 2003
  13. rock

    Joe Citizen Guest

    "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, "rock" <> wrote:
    > >The home150 dialup plan is almost completely non-functional at night,

    there
    > >appears to be no where near enough bandwidth. The really frustrating

    thing

    > Just want I dont want to hear, Ive only just joined up with Clear.
    >
    > One thing Ive noticed is ISP's will NEVER admit to a lack of bandwidth.
    > When Ive changed ISP's ive kept the old one for a month & I could do

    direct
    > speed comparisons.
    > Unforntunatly the fast/reliable ISP's arent cheap. The last good ISP I was

    on
    > charged more than DSL rates if you exceeded the monthly limit.I thought

    I'd save myself
    > $30 a month by switching. The new ISP just got worse each month, so now

    Ive just switched to
    > Clear.

    Some posters here are happy with Clear by the look of it. Maybe you will
    find they are ok?

    > (One poster may be having trouble with the modem 'retraining' & dropping

    speed??)

    One of my ISP's tried this line on me. So I began timing the drop from
    downloading at around 6k down to around 3k.

    I discoved a distinct pattern. On real busy nights the drop ocurred exactly
    at 40mins from connection, on quite busy nights at 55mins exactly, and on
    just a bit busy nights at 1hr55mins exactly.

    I took screenshots over a one month period, e-mailed them to the tech
    support guy who had told me my line or gear was rooted and the bwidth drop
    was my modem retraining. I didn't hear back from him again. Instead the
    sales dept e-mailed me, offering me a refund on my years suscription, with
    no mention at all of my screenshots mail.

    Joe
    Joe Citizen, Sep 2, 2003
  14. rock

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" wrote
    > FWIW I still get 80-110ms on anything within my isps network when on

    dialup

    I used to average 80 on dialup in Auckland central... man it was good.
    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  15. rock

    > Hi again,
    >
    > Everyone here has made some pretty good points.
    > I really think you should give ping plotter a go as I mentioned earlier.
    >
    > It is well worth it and easy to understand after around 10 minutes reading
    > the guide at the website. Its free!
    >
    > http://www.pingplotter.com/
    >
    > Joe.

    I fired up ping plotter lastnight but did not need it as the problem did not
    appear, performance was not stellar but was light years ahead of the almost
    non-existent data thoroughput I was getting and not below expectations for
    night time performance.
    So heres hoping the problem has been fixed and was not some kind of fluke,
    maybe this newsgroup post got some attention and action at clear or maybe it
    was just coincidence that the night following this post the problem
    disappeared after over a week of constant problem, of course I we will never
    know for sure because clear don't report their problems unlike some of the
    better isp's which I will likely still change to especially if there are
    anymore major problems with clear.
    rock, Sep 2, 2003
  16. rock

    rock Guest

    "rock" <> wrote in message news:3f55110c$...

    > "Joe Citizen" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi again,
    > >
    > > Everyone here has made some pretty good points.
    > > I really think you should give ping plotter a go as I mentioned earlier.
    > >
    > > It is well worth it and easy to understand after around 10 minutes

    reading
    > > the guide at the website. Its free!
    > >
    > > http://www.pingplotter.com/
    > >
    > > Joe.

    > I fired up ping plotter lastnight but did not need it as the problem did

    not
    > appear, performance was not stellar but was light years ahead of the

    almost
    > non-existent data thoroughput I was getting and not below expectations for
    > night time performance.
    > So heres hoping the problem has been fixed and was not some kind of fluke,
    > maybe this newsgroup post got some attention and action at clear or maybe

    it
    > was just coincidence that the night following this post the problem
    > disappeared after over a week of constant problem, of course I we will

    never
    > know for sure because clear don't report their problems unlike some of the
    > better isp's which I will likely still change to especially if there are
    > anymore major problems with clear.

    Spoke to early, having problems with the email server, ie it does not find
    host, this has been a problem and on for quite a while and just when I
    really need to send an email on time the bloody thing fails again.
    rock, Sep 3, 2003
  17. rock

    T.N.O. Guest

    "rock"
    > Spoke to early, having problems with the email server, ie it does not find
    > host, this has been a problem and on for quite a while and just when I
    > really need to send an email on time the bloody thing fails again.

    thats why they put clauses in the T&C saying best effort...

    although it seems to be receiving connections.
    T.N.O., Sep 3, 2003
  18. rock

    Joy Guest

    "rock" <> wrote in message news:3f55110c$...

    > "Joe Citizen" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi again,
    > >
    > > Everyone here has made some pretty good points.
    > > I really think you should give ping plotter a go as I mentioned earlier.
    > >
    > > It is well worth it and easy to understand after around 10 minutes

    reading
    > > the guide at the website. Its free!
    > >
    > > http://www.pingplotter.com/
    > >
    > > Joe.

    > I fired up ping plotter lastnight but did not need it as the problem did

    not
    > appear, performance was not stellar but was light years ahead of the

    almost
    > non-existent data thoroughput I was getting and not below expectations for
    > night time performance.
    > So heres hoping the problem has been fixed and was not some kind of fluke,
    > maybe this newsgroup post got some attention and action at clear or maybe

    it
    > was just coincidence that the night following this post the problem
    > disappeared after over a week of constant problem, of course I we will

    never
    > know for sure because clear don't report their problems unlike some of the
    > better isp's which I will likely still change to especially if there are
    > anymore major problems with clear.

    We've been having the same problems and it's still intermittant. I put it
    down to them adding new software, re spam they said they would be installing
    and so haven't rung up to complain. Here's hoping it's fixed soon.
    Joy
    Joy, Sep 3, 2003