Clearnet/Paradise to lose Newsgroups

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Michael, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Not sure whether this just relates to business customers as suggested a few
    weeks ago but it sure doesn't look like it.
    I wonder when they intend to inform us?

    As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs

    Question
    Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups

    Answer
    What are Newsgroups?
    Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are a forum and library of information.

    How do I access Newsgroups?
    They are accessed via webnews.clear.net.nz or from configuring your email
    software (eg Outlook Express) to download topics you are interested in (and
    is similar to receiving your email).

    When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
    The Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
    2008

    Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
    These are being discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on
    the internet, the increasing cost of providing this access and the small
    number of customers using it.

    How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
    information?
    If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
    arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

    Michael, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Michael

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, Michael wrote:

    > As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs

    [...]
    > When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued? The
    > Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
    > 2008
    >
    > Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued? These are being
    > discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on the internet,
    > the increasing cost of providing this access and the small number of
    > customers using it.
    >
    > How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
    > information?
    > If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
    > arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

    What a***holes.

    I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Nov 12, 2008

  3. Michael

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:38:50 +1300, thingy wrote:

    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, Michael wrote:
    >>
    >>> As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs

    [...]

    >> What a***holes.
    >>
    >> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
    >>

    > cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.

    Bummer.

    Next on the agenda. Complain, and/or start a petition?

    Second on the agenda, find a free news server (if you haven't already)

    Cheers.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Nov 12, 2008
  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "joe_90" <joe_90_no@spam_myhttpmail.com> wrote in message
    > Michael wrote:
    >
    >> How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
    >> information?
    >> If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
    >> arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

    > 'thru' ?
    >
    > and I like the term 'arrange' being used as a euphemism for 'pay for'.

    National got in, get used to it. LOL

    Michael, Nov 12, 2008
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:38:50 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Dee wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> What a***holes.
    >>>
    >>> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
    >>>

    >> cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.

    > Bummer.
    >
    > Next on the agenda. Complain, and/or start a petition?
    >
    > Second on the agenda, find a free news server (if you haven't already)
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > --
    > dee

    Well there is Google Groups but but but!
    nntp.aioe.org
    is free and has the NZ groups
    news Motzarella.org
    I believe is also free but you have to sign up

    or if you want binaries, http://www.teranews.com/ suggests it has a free
    service but you have to pay to set it up.
    (---we have begun charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. There are no
    recurring monthly fees with our 50MB/day package.)
    Or if you want a more substantial account http://usenet.com/ is less
    expensive than Giganews
    Or there is http://titannews.com/ or http://www.NewsRazor.net or
    http://www.usenet.net/ or http://www.newsgroups-download.com/
    or http://www.newsgroup-binaries.com/ or http://www.usenet-access.com or
    http://usenet-news.net/ or https://www.altopia.com/
    or http://www.news.astraweb.com/ or Many more if you want to Google

    Think I'll be trying the Teranews one myself

    Michael, Nov 12, 2008
  6. Michael

    John Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:56:03 +1100, Mike Dee wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:38:50 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Dee wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> What a***holes.
    >>>
    >>> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
    >>>

    >> cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.

    > Bummer.
    >
    > Next on the agenda. Complain, and/or start a petition?
    >
    > Second on the agenda, find a free news server (if you haven't already)

    You could try posting (complain) to the TelstraClear forum at:

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=44

    John, Nov 12, 2008
  7. On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, "Michael" <>
    wrote:

    >Not sure whether this just relates to business customers as suggested a few
    >weeks ago but it sure doesn't look like it.
    >I wonder when they intend to inform us?
    >
    >As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs
    >
    >Question
    > Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups
    >
    >Answer
    > What are Newsgroups?
    >Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are a forum and library of information.
    >
    >How do I access Newsgroups?
    >They are accessed via webnews.clear.net.nz or from configuring your email
    >software (eg Outlook Express) to download topics you are interested in (and
    >is similar to receiving your email).
    >
    >When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
    >The Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
    >2008
    >
    >Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
    >These are being discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on
    >the internet, the increasing cost of providing this access and the small
    >number of customers using it.
    >
    >How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
    >information?
    >If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
    >arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

    The cynic in me says the service will actually end about the 20th Nov,
    when they experience their usual monthly problems.

    As to alternatives, since I got fed up with Telstra's problems I've
    been happily using Astraweb.

    <www.news.astraweb.com>

    They have a US$10 deal that gives 25GB of data with no time limit.
    Only using text groups should allow me to bequeath the remaining
    unused data in my will :)

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm

    Malcolm Moore, Nov 12, 2008
  8. Michael

    aspir8or Guest

    Malcolm Moore wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, "Michael" <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>

    >>If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
    >>arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com
    >>

    > The cynic in me says the service will actually end about the 20th Nov,
    > when they experience their usual monthly problems.
    >
    > As to alternatives, since I got fed up with Telstra's problems I've
    > been happily using Astraweb.
    >
    > <www.news.astraweb.com>
    >
    > They have a US$10 deal that gives 25GB of data with no time limit.
    > Only using text groups should allow me to bequeath the remaining
    > unused data in my will :)

    I've already changed to motzarella. Free, I don't need binary ngs.

    Kind of difficult to vote with my feet, as I have the package, tv, phone & net, and I would have to change the lot or find that isp (can't recall the name) that on-sells TC's cable service, but they probably sell the same package and will drop usenet as well. I like the cable, both for the net and tv, no interference issues and good speeds. It would also be somewhat expensive changing to Telecom/Sky/Telecom(x xtra).

    --
    Rob
    "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

    aspir8or, Nov 13, 2008
  9. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "OZZY Boy" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:48:54 +1300, "Michael" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mike Dee" <> wrote in message

    >>Well there is Google Groups but but but!
    >>nntp.aioe.org
    >>is free and has the NZ groups
    >>news Motzarella.org
    >>I believe is also free but you have to sign up
    >>
    >>or if you want binaries, http://www.teranews.com/ suggests it has a free
    >>service but you have to pay to set it up.
    >>(---we have begun charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. There are no
    >>recurring monthly fees with our 50MB/day package.)
    >>Or if you want a more substantial account http://usenet.com/ is less
    >>expensive than Giganews
    >>Or there is http://titannews.com/ or http://www.NewsRazor.net or
    >>http://www.usenet.net/ or http://www.newsgroups-download.com/
    >>or http://www.newsgroup-binaries.com/ or http://www.usenet-access.com
    >>or
    >>http://usenet-news.net/ or https://www.altopia.com/
    >>or http://www.news.astraweb.com/ or Many more if you want to Google
    >>
    >>Think I'll be trying the Teranews one myself
    >>

    > What is the retention rate for Teranews, days I would think for a free
    > service, no good for binary
    > dnloads,

    Gee Mr No Knowledge and you know all this by having tried it have you?
    1/ 90+ days binary retention. Geez Woger, an expert like you I would have
    thought you would have been able to click on the link
    2/ No good for your hundreds of gigs of porno downloads. What do you expect
    for US$3.95?

    > You seems to have mised some, this is the best there is Easynews true
    > decoded binary dnload and
    > the free Albasani.

    FFS I didn't miss any. I just posted the ones I had looked at. If you have
    others goody, post them instead of being a wonker.
    Have you used Easynews?

    Michael, Nov 13, 2008
  10. Michael

    Your Name Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > OZZY Boy wrote:

    cable.

    > >>You could try posting (complain) to the TelstraClear forum at:
    > >>
    > >>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=44
    > >>

    > > No Commerce Commission, Usenet is part of the Internet service, with out
    > > it you are being conned,

    > Usenet is no more "part of the internet service" that an ssh server or
    > an "Unreal Tournament" server is.
    >
    > > why its being dropped, is because of the high storage regiments..

    > I'd say it's because od upstream provider costs.
    >
    > > Its like selling you are car with out wheels..

    > Nonsense. The vast majority of people connect to the internet yet have no
    > idea what usenet or NNTP is.

    Hell, most of the people working at all the Internet providers don't even
    know what Newsgroups are!

    Unfortunately the ONLY thing an "Internet Service Provider" must supply is
    the actual connection to the Internet ... anything and everything else is an
    "added bonus", and that includes email servers, website space, Usenet
    Newsgroups, etc.

    ihug dropped most of the binaries newsgroups a long while back, mainly
    because their hopeless server kept falling over under the load. Without the
    binaries newsgroups the load is MUCH less and so the server lasted longer
    before again and again falling over (despite telling the users they had a
    new one!).

    Your Name, Nov 13, 2008
  11. Michael

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-11-12, thingy <> wrote:
    > Michael wrote:
    >> Not sure whether this just relates to business customers as suggested a few
    >> weeks ago but it sure doesn't look like it.
    >> I wonder when they intend to inform us?
    >>
    >> As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs
    >>
    >> Question
    >> Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups
    >>
    >> Answer
    >> What are Newsgroups?
    >> Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are a forum and library of information.
    >>
    >> How do I access Newsgroups?
    >> They are accessed via webnews.clear.net.nz or from configuring your email
    >> software (eg Outlook Express) to download topics you are interested in (and
    >> is similar to receiving your email).
    >>
    >> When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
    >> The Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
    >> 2008
    >>
    >> Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued?
    >> These are being discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on
    >> the internet, the increasing cost of providing this access and the small
    >> number of customers using it.
    >>
    >> How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
    >> information?
    >> If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
    >> arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com
    >>

    > bastards is all I can say...

    Sign of the times I'd say. It was clear to me that Usenet was/would become a
    niche activity on the every expanding super highway.

    Nevertheless it is a pity. Still, If one stays in the same position, the Sun
    will once again rise and shine down upon your head.

    Usnet is not dead, never will be, and like the written word will survive for
    others to discover

    Gordon, Nov 13, 2008
  12. Michael

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-11-12, Allistar <> wrote:
    > OZZY Boy wrote:

    >>>You could try posting (complain) to the TelstraClear forum at:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=44
    >>>

    >> No Commerce Commission, Usenet is part of the Internet service, with out
    >> it you are being conned,

    > Usenet is no more "part of the internet service" that an ssh server or
    > an "Unreal Tournament" server is.

    Indeed. Internet Service is nothing more than a connection to the internet.
    In the same way that your driveway is connected to the roading network, on
    which you are able to travel along in your car.

    Study history. In the good old days Usenet, and e-mail, ASCII form only,
    where *the* things of the Internet. Tim was at CERN suggestion some way out
    idea called Hyper Text Markup Language might help inforomation at CERN not
    to get lost.

    So ISP's offered Usenet as a way to get customers, for in those days profit
    was the aim, as it is to-day.

    Today, Usenet lives on in a niche. Porn, spam and other $$ grabbing ideas
    have flooded in. Strange, but true people go for these sort of things.
    Dumbed down, and feeding on trivia.

    Well, not all, for that is why Usenet lives on.

    Gordon, Nov 13, 2008
  13. Michael

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gordon" typed:
    > Study history. In the good old days Usenet, and e-mail, ASCII form
    > only, where *the* things of the Internet. Tim was at CERN suggestion
    > some way out idea called Hyper Text Markup Language might help
    > inforomation at CERN not to get lost.
    >
    > So ISP's offered Usenet as a way to get customers, for in those days
    > profit was the aim, as it is to-day.
    >
    > Today, Usenet lives on in a niche. Porn, spam and other $$ grabbing
    > ideas have flooded in. Strange, but true people go for these sort of
    > things. Dumbed down, and feeding on trivia.
    >
    > Well, not all, for that is why Usenet lives on.

    Well said! I've consistently spent around 50% of my on-line time with usenet
    for well over 10 years now. It was a big factor in me getting connected
    originally. Well, that and the porn.... <g>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2008
  14. Michael

    Gib Bogle Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:13:51 +1300, Michael wrote:
    >>
    >>> As posted on their FAQ's at http://tinyurl.com/6hs9rs

    >> [...]
    >>> When are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued? The
    >>> Clearnet/Paradise Newsgroups are being discontinued effective Nov 30th
    >>> 2008
    >>>
    >>> Why are Clearnet/Paradise NewsGroups being Dis-Continued? These are
    >>> being
    >>> discontinued due to the availability of similar groups on the internet,
    >>> the increasing cost of providing this access and the small number of
    >>> customers using it.
    >>>
    >>> How can I continue to get access to the same forum and library of
    >>> information?
    >>> If you wish to retain access to the same forums and information, you can
    >>> arrange a connection thru the provider directly @ www.giganews.com

    >> What a***holes.
    >>
    >> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
    >>

    > cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I never thought I'd do a plug for Ihug ... but they are supporting usenet.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 13, 2008
  15. Michael

    Your Name Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > thingy wrote:
    > > Mike Dee wrote:

    > >> [...]

    internet,

    can

    > >> What a***holes.
    > >>
    > >> I don't use them, but if I did I'd be voting with my feet at that news.
    > >>

    > > cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > Thing

    > I never thought I'd do a plug for Ihug ... but they are supporting usenet.

    NO! If you have any sense you'll stay away.

    ihug only has the non-binaries newsgroups and probably only until they
    realise they can get away with dumping the lot because others have. They are
    also missing many newer newsgroups.

    ihug got worse as the original idiot brothers got greedier, and is now
    reaching levels of pathetic now that Vodafone is in charge -- so far I've
    been waiting two weeks for them to fix a problem that re-occurs about every
    six months with their servers that stop me logging on with my Mac.
    Supposedly it will be fixed today, but I ain't holding my breath.

    Your Name, Nov 13, 2008
  16. Michael

    aspir8or Guest

    After applying Preparation H, Allistar finally got comfortable and wrote:

    > OZZY Boy wrote:

    >>>I wonder what the costs of peering with another provider are, and what
    >>>sort of disk space and bandwidth one would need to do so. Perhaps there
    >>>is potential profit to be had by setting up a NZ based server that
    >>>charges a competitive rate (say a few $ per month). I'm sure there is
    >>>free software that can be found that will pretty much take care of the
    >>>NNTP server itself.

    >> I have often thought this but the Big US NNTP servers get there feeds
    >> from multiple servers due to
    >> the fact that NNTP has no error or recover protocols.
    >>

    >> But the Storage capacity for it is MASIVE..
    >>

    >> What I can't understand that Paradise use to have its own NNTP that
    >> finally fell over then they ended up using Clears one, that was/is utter
    >> crap..
    >>
    >> Its the Storage regiments that's killing the Usenet here in NZ..

    > The storage requirements for text only groups wouldn't be so large, but
    > still probably massive. I suppose it depends on the retention policy.

    Storage is not the main problem, just add more disks. It's the bandwidth, receiving gigs and gigs every day.

    Setting up a news server is dead easy. I set one up in the late 80's using freebsd IIRC (may have been netbsd) running INN on a 386. I think it had a couple of 20 meg disk drives, which was ample for the time.
    --
    Rob
    You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk and the first thing you think is, 'edit, undo.'

    aspir8or, Nov 13, 2008
  17. Michael

    Your Name Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > OZZY Boy wrote:

    > >>I wonder what the costs of peering with another provider are, and what
    > >>sort of disk space and bandwidth one would need to do so. Perhaps there

    is
    > >>potential profit to be had by setting up a NZ based server that charges

    > >>competitive rate (say a few $ per month). I'm sure there is free

    software
    > >>that can be found that will pretty much take care of the NNTP server
    > >>itself.

    > > I have often thought this but the Big US NNTP servers get there feeds
    > > from multiple servers due to
    > > the fact that NNTP has no error or recover protocols.
    > >

    > > But the Storage capacity for it is MASIVE..
    > >

    > > What I can't understand that Paradise use to have its own NNTP that
    > > finally fell over then they ended up using Clears one, that was/is utter
    > > crap..
    > >
    > > Its the Storage regiments that's killing the Usenet here in NZ..

    > The storage requirements for text only groups wouldn't be so large, but
    > still probably massive. I suppose it depends on the retention policy.

    ihug's retention policy (since the server kept falling over) is to keep
    messages for exactly one week. After that they're gone.

    Of course, ihug's spam email policy is to simply delete in-coming messages
    they think are spam - there is NO junk mail box to rescue stuff from, it's
    permanently deleted before you evre see it.

    Just two more reasons ihug is becoming one of the worst ISPs in the country.
    A recent survey reportedly had Telescum NZ and Vodafone in an equal position
    towards (if not at) the bottom of the list of user voted satisfaction ... no
    surprise there.

    Your Name, Nov 14, 2008
  18. Michael

    Your Name Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in message

    > ihug got worse as the original idiot brothers got greedier, and is now
    > reaching levels of pathetic now that Vodafone is in charge -- so far I've
    > been waiting two weeks for them to fix a problem that re-occurs about

    every
    > six months with their servers that stop me logging on with my Mac.
    > Supposedly it will be fixed today, but I ain't holding my breath.

    Oh what a non-surprise. The problem still isn't fixed! x-(

    Your Name, Nov 14, 2008
  19. Michael

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in

    > Unfortunately the ONLY thing an "Internet Service Provider" must
    > supply is the actual connection to the Internet ... anything and
    > everything else is an "added bonus", and that includes email servers,
    > website space, Usenet Newsgroups, etc.

    Except they don't allow you to run your own per the T&C. No Mbone, no root
    NNTP, no ...
    Don't go down this road, the ISP does not and never has given you
    "internet", they always filter, always. That is their business model.
    Granularity and speeds.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 14, 2008
  20. Michael

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Your Name wrote:
    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >> thingy wrote:

    > internet,

    > can

    >>> cant really...1) many isps no longer do usenet, 2) only clear do cable.
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >> I never thought I'd do a plug for Ihug ... but they are supporting usenet.

    > NO! If you have any sense you'll stay away.
    >
    > ihug only has the non-binaries newsgroups and probably only until they
    > realise they can get away with dumping the lot because others have. They are
    > also missing many newer newsgroups.

    I can't stay away, since I've been with ihug for about 10 years. I'm
    not interested in binary ngs.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 14, 2008