    they will fix the problem, the more people let them know of the problem the
    faster they will get onto it, they won't do anything if only a handful of
    customers complain.

    brick, Sep 4, 2003

  2. brick

    pete Guest

    "brick" <sdds@sdds> wrote in message news:3f56ec17$...
    > Yesterday clearnet email was completely down for sometime, ie outlook
    > express could not find the host, this problem was fixed later during the

    day
    > but one problem still remained which people maynot have noticed. Outgoing
    > email appears to be sent but in actual fact it never reaches it's
    > destination so if anyone else is having this problem, notify clearnet so
    > they will fix the problem, the more people let them know of the problem

    the
    > faster they will get onto it, they won't do anything if only a handful of
    > customers complain.

    Have been seeing something similar on PCs connecting to Xtra. Get messages
    "no response recieved from SMTP server.." or words to that effect (screen
    prints
    are at work). Naturally, Xtra's MOTD states there are no problems with the
    network.
    Problem seems to resolve itself without making any changes at all to end
    users PC
    or settings.

    pete, Sep 4, 2003

  3. brick

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    More often than not when Outlook Express cannot find the pop server,
    it is not an ISP fault. The majority of people who ring ISP helpdesks
    have the error message cannot find server. This message can be caused
    because - you are not connected, AV fault, firewall or OX errors.

    The acid test is through telneting to the pop server. Bring up your
    command prompt - type telnet pop.clear.net.nz 110 - if you get access
    then your software is probably to blame. It is the same test for every
    ISP eg. pop2.xtra.co.nz etc. Most ISP's will have webmail facilities
    run from the mail server - see if these are working.

    Roger Ramjet, Sep 4, 2003
  4. brick

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    Oops, xtra's incoming mail server should be pop3.xtra.co.nz

    Roger Ramjet, Sep 4, 2003
  5. brick

    brick Guest

    "brick" <sdds@sdds> wrote in message news:3f56ec17$...
    > Yesterday clearnet email was completely down for sometime, ie outlook
    > express could not find the host, this problem was fixed later during the

    day
    > but one problem still remained which people maynot have noticed. Outgoing
    > email appears to be sent but in actual fact it never reaches it's
    > destination so if anyone else is having this problem, notify clearnet so
    > they will fix the problem, the more people let them know of the problem

    the
    > faster they will get onto it, they won't do anything if only a handful of
    > customers complain.

    As of 9.58pm lastnight the problem was fixed, this is when my email that was
    sent earlier during the day finally arrived and testing now reveals that
    email sent arrives at it's destination when expected. Don't know if anyone
    else reported this problem or not although I would suspect so since the
    problem has been fixed, if it was only me I would imagine that I would still
    be waiting. When I reported the problem yesterday clearnet were unaware of
    it.

    brick, Sep 4, 2003
  6. brick

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Oops, xtra's incoming mail server should be pop3.xtra.co.nz

    Indeed - (do I know you :)

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Sep 4, 2003
  7. brick

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > More often than not when Outlook Express cannot find the pop server,
    > it is not an ISP fault. The majority of people who ring ISP helpdesks
    > have the error message cannot find server.

    Do they have the errors at randomly distributed times or simultaneously?
    Could the message also be a result of the server being slow to respond
    occasionally? How much feedback do the ISP helpdesks get about realtime
    status of their networks.

    colinco, Sep 5, 2003