    affecting my computer running properly?
    Regards
    Andy
    Andrew Mott, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Andrew Mott

    Billh Guest

    My understanding is this is some kind of way to make these programs work a
    bit faster and that cleaning them out does not hurt anything. I have
    cleared mine from time to time with no ill effects.

    "Andrew Mott" <> wrote in message
    > What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove the

    items

    Billh, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Andrew Mott

    Boomer Guest

    "Andrew Mott" <> wrote in

    > What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove
    > the items to reduce bloatware. If i do this is there any danger of
    > it seriously affecting my computer running properly?
    > Regards
    > Andy

    I won't use "prefetch".

    Here's some tips:

    ┬░Mike┬░'s "Basic computer maintenance"
    Boomer, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Andrew Mott

    Harrison Guest

    No harm whatsoever.
    More here http://tinyurl.com/k8l
    Better to read up from the source than from some hack's web page about
    Windows 9x.

    Harrison, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Andrew Mott

    Geno Guest

    This only works if you are using Windows XP!!!!!!

    Use Local Group Policy to Whack PREFETCH Files on Shutdown

    Here's a tip for you Windows XP Pros: If you're not familiar with the
    procedures in this tip, do not try them at home! WinXPnews "special agent"
    M5100 shares this tip with other WinXPnews readers, about how to whack
    PREFETCH Files on Shutdown:

    1.. Create a new text file in the C:\ directory.
    2.. Type "del c:\windows\prefetch\*.* /q" (without the quotes) into the
    new text document.
    3.. Save the file as "prefetch.bat" and close the file.
    4.. From the Start menu, click the Run command. Type gpedit.msc in the
    Open text box and click OK.
    5.. In the Local Security Policy console, under the Computer Configuration
    node, expand the Windows Settings node. Under the Windows Settings node,
    select the Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) node and click the Standard tab at the
    bottom of the window.
    6.. Double click Shutdown in the right pane of the console. Click the Add
    button in the Shutdown Properties dialog box.
    7.. In the Add a Script dialog box, type c:\prefetch.bat. Click OK.
    8.. The C:\prefetch.bat file appears in the list of files. Click Apply and
    then click OK in the Shutdown Properties dialog box.
    9.. Close the Group Policy console and then restart the computer. During
    shutdown, you'll see a message that says that shutdown scripts are being
    applied.
    Now you are finished. Every time you shut down or restart your computer, it
    will run your shutdown script to delete the prefetch files.

    Geno, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Andrew Mott

    mcrosby

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Please DO NOT do this! It is a myth that cleaning out the windows prefetch folder speeds up your computer. Deleting the prefetch folder will slow your machine down!

    mcrosby, Apr 8, 2008
  7. Andrew Mott

    artakchino

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Secure deletion of prefetch files

    There is a program that deletes prefetch files securely - History Killer Pro
    historykillerpro(dot)com
    artakchino, Feb 23, 2009
  8. Andrew Mott

    lspallina

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Windows Prefetch

    Clearing the Windows Prefetch will slow down the bootup time of your computer.

    Windows Prefetch stores segments of files to load on into memory on call when Windows loads, so that your HDD does not have to load the full application just to access the small segment it needs several times during the booting process.

    Deleting the Prefetch folder will only serve positively to eliminate evidence of programs previously assigned to load on Windows startup.
    lspallina, Oct 7, 2009