    help me with this please?

    I thank you in advance,
    Joe

    Joe@ stupid.com, Mar 23, 2008

  2. Joe@ stupid.com

    bornfree Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with it.
    >
    > Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in the backgroun
    > via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    > field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is how to read the
    > list that I do get! There are just a buttload of abbreviations with the
    > information that they are either running or not running and whether they are
    > system programs or not system programs. I really want to clear out
    > everything I don't need to be running and I'm wondering if there is a list
    > somewhere that I can access or download that will explain what these
    > abbreviated programs are and which ones are safe to stop running. Can anyone
    > help me with this please?

    Under the "start up" tab, all of them. Your computer can run fine
    without any of those things. Just make sure you have a firewall and
    anti-virus product still running.

    I recommend you don't touch the "services" tab though, because
    disabling those can affect core ways that XP runs.
    bornfree, Mar 23, 2008

  3. Joe@ stupid.com

    thanatoid Guest

    Joe@ stupid.com wrote in news::

    > Hello,
    > I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with
    > it.
    >
    > Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in
    > the backgroun via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    > field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is
    > how to read the list that I do get! There are just a
    > buttload of abbreviations with the information that they
    > are either running or not running and whether they are
    > system programs or not system programs. I really want to
    > clear out everything I don't need to be running and I'm
    > wondering if there is a list somewhere that I can access or
    > download that will explain what these abbreviated programs
    > are and which ones are safe to stop running. Can anyone
    > help me with this please?
    >
    > I thank you in advance,
    > Joe

    You either have to get a computer book and read up on processes
    or
    you have to do a Google search for each file name. It is quite
    likely one of the first few links you go to (NOT necessarily the
    first few links on the Google page) will include explanations on
    much of the stuff you want to know.

    Then get a 3rd party "start-up manager" program with
    backup/restore of functionality features. MS housecleaning tools
    suck like Vista does.

    --
    Savagery of the relationships between people. Here, everyone is
    on the make, all of them doing their damndest to take someone

    J.M.G. LeClézio
    thanatoid, Mar 23, 2008
  4. Joe@ stupid.com

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 01:02:22 GMT, Joe@ stupid.com wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with it.
    >
    >Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in the backgroun
    >via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    >field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is how to read the
    >list that I do get! There are just a buttload of abbreviations with the
    >information that they are either running or not running and whether they are
    >system programs or not system programs. I really want to clear out
    >everything I don't need to be running and I'm wondering if there is a list
    >somewhere that I can access or download that will explain what these
    >abbreviated programs are and which ones are safe to stop running. Can anyone
    >help me with this please?
    >
    >I thank you in advance,
    >Joe

    Ok so you go start deleting those files. Don't come back here and
    whine about how to get your machine back into running operation again.
    If you want to find out what they are and do, try doing a search for
    each one.

    You should also run "task manager" {ctrl+alt+del} to see which
    programs are really running in the background.
    richard, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Joe@ stupid.com

    chuckcar Guest

    Joe@ stupid.com wrote in news::

    > Hello,
    > I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with it.
    >
    > Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in the
    > backgroun via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    > field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is how to read
    > the list that I do get! There are just a buttload of abbreviations
    > with the information that they are either running or not running and
    > whether they are system programs or not system programs. I really
    > want to clear out everything I don't need to be running and I'm
    > wondering if there is a list somewhere that I can access or download
    > that will explain what these abbreviated programs are and which ones
    > are safe to stop running. Can anyone help me with this please?
    >
    > I thank you in advance,
    > Joe

    You can safely disable all in startup and windows will still run fine,
    however you may find that a) you no longer have your
    anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking automatically b) no longer
    have your firewall running c) no longer can read open session cd's in
    windows (no great loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never properly
    implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will havr to be
    started manually.

    The best approach is to disable all and then reenable those you need
    such as he first two or three above. Remeber however that enabling too
    many of these programs is what causes the problem.

    You could theoretically do without more of them if you for example,
    never opened an attachment without saving it and scanning it first and
    other such safeguards. Leave the firewall and *know* how it's supposed
    to do it's job.

    In addition, some software - realplayer comes to mind will put
    themselves *back* into startup and elable themselves the net time you
    run the software. Some of these packages (and realplayer *was* one last
    time I bothered with it) allow you to say *not* to run in startup, but
    you have to explicitly do it in the main program.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 23, 2008
  6. Joe@ stupid.com

    bornfree Guest

    On 23 Mar, 06:14, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > Joe@ stupid.com wrote innews::
    >

    > > Hello,
    > > I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with it.

    > > Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in the
    > > backgroun via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    > > field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is how to read
    > > the list that I do get! There are just a buttload of abbreviations
    > > with the information that they are either running or not running and
    > > whether they are system programs or not system programs. I really
    > > want to clear out everything I don't need to be running and I'm
    > > wondering if there is a list somewhere that I can access or download
    > > that will explain what these abbreviated programs are and which ones
    > > are safe to stop running. Can anyone help me with this please?

    > > I thank you in advance,
    > > Joe

    > You can safely disable all in startup and windows will still run fine,
    > however you may find that a) you no longer have your
    > anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking automatically b) no longer
    > have your firewall running c) no longer can read open session cd's in
    > windows (no great loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never properly
    > implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will havr to be
    > started manually.

    c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows

    Which process does that relate to?

    > The best approach is to disable all and then reenable those you need
    > such as he first two or three above.

    I agree with that.
    bornfree, Mar 23, 2008
  7. Joe@ stupid.com

    Guest

    Joe@ stupid.com wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with it.
    >
    >Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in the backgroun
    >via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    >field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is how to read the
    >list that I do get! There are just a buttload of abbreviations with the
    >information that they are either running or not running and whether they are
    >system programs or not system programs. I really want to clear out
    >everything I don't need to be running and I'm wondering if there is a list
    >somewhere that I can access or download that will explain what these
    >abbreviated programs are and which ones are safe to stop running. Can anyone
    >help me with this please?

    Download Process Explorer
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
    right click and "search online" each process to see if you really need
    it.

    Use Autoruns to disable programs instead of MSconfig it's just better.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    Also
    Start | Run <type in>
    services.msc
    <enter>

    Disable any services you don't need
    www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

    --

    http://www.rock103.com/pages/crew/pics/easter2008.jpg
    , Mar 24, 2008
  8. Joe@ stupid.com

    thanatoid Guest

    bornfree <> wrote in
    ups.com:

    > On 23 Mar, 06:14, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> Joe@ stupid.com wrote innews::
    >>

    >> > Hello,
    >> > I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with
    >> > it.

    >> > Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running
    >> > in the backgroun via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    >> > field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know
    >> > is how to read the list that I do get! There are just a
    >> > buttload of abbreviations with the information that they
    >> > are either running or not running and whether they are
    >> > system programs or not system programs. I really want
    >> > to clear out everything I don't need to be running and
    >> > I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere that I can
    >> > access or download that will explain what these
    >> > abbreviated programs are and which ones are safe to stop
    >> > running. Can anyone help me with this please?

    >> > I thank you in advance,
    >> > Joe

    >> You can safely disable all in startup and windows will
    >> still run fine, however you may find that a) you no longer
    >> have your anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking
    >> automatically b) no longer have your firewall running c)
    >> no longer can read open session cd's in windows (no great
    >> loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never properly
    >> implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will
    >> havr to be started manually.

    > c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows
    >
    > Which process does that relate to?
    >
    >> The best approach is to disable all and then reenable
    >> those you need such as he first two or three above.

    > I agree with that.

    You're talking as if sun shone out of your behinds. The machine
    probably won't even boot. At least 1/3 or maybe even 4/5 of
    those "auto start-up" processes are MS "idiot user aids" and MS
    spyware and Office bullshit, but several are essential to the
    machine working at all.

    Disclaimer: Never touched XP (let alone Vista) and never will,
    but IMO an essential process is an essential process. MS still
    haven't managed to drop 80's code nor alter basic operational
    principles in their product.

    thanatoid, Mar 24, 2008
  9. Joe@ stupid.com

    elaich Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > You're talking as if sun shone out of your behinds. The machine
    > probably won't even boot. At least 1/3 or maybe even 4/5 of
    > those "auto start-up" processes are MS "idiot user aids" and MS
    > spyware and Office bullshit, but several are essential to the
    > machine working at all.

    I don't know what OS the guy is using, but there is nothing there in
    Windows 2000 that is needed by the OS. The needed services start
    automatically, and are managed via Control Panel.

    As you said, most of the stuff there is garbage.
    elaich, Mar 24, 2008
  10. Joe@ stupid.com

    chuckcar Guest

    bornfree <> wrote in

    > On 23 Mar, 06:14, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> Joe@ stupid.com wrote innews::
    >>

    >> > Hello,
    >> > I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with it.

    >> > Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in the
    >> > backgroun via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    >> > field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is how to
    >> > read the list that I do get! There are just a buttload of
    >> > abbreviations with the information that they are either running or
    >> > not running and whether they are system programs or not system
    >> > programs. I really want to clear out everything I don't need to be
    >> > running and I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere that I can
    >> > access or download that will explain what these abbreviated
    >> > programs are and which ones are safe to stop running. Can anyone
    >> > help me with this please?

    >> > I thank you in advance,
    >> > Joe

    >> You can safely disable all in startup and windows will still run
    >> fine, however you may find that a) you no longer have your
    >> anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking automatically b) no longer
    >> have your firewall running c) no longer can read open session cd's in
    >> windows (no great loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never
    >> properly implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will
    >> havr to be started manually.

    > c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows
    >
    > Which process does that relate to?

    It depends on what software is used for writing CD's of course.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 24, 2008
  11. Joe@ stupid.com

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > bornfree <> wrote in
    > ups.com:

    >>> You can safely disable all in startup and windows will
    >>> still run fine, however you may find that a) you no longer
    >>> have your anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking
    >>> automatically b) no longer have your firewall running c)
    >>> no longer can read open session cd's in windows (no great
    >>> loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never properly
    >>> implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will
    >>> havr to be started manually.

    >> c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows
    >>
    >> Which process does that relate to?
    >>
    >>> The best approach is to disable all and then reenable
    >>> those you need such as he first two or three above.

    >> I agree with that.

    > You're talking as if sun shone out of your behinds. The machine
    > probably won't even boot. At least 1/3 or maybe even 4/5 of
    > those "auto start-up" processes are MS "idiot user aids" and MS
    > spyware and Office bullshit, but several are essential to the
    > machine working at all.

    I *assume* you are talking about what the person you replied to said as
    opposed to what I did. If that is not the case, name *one* program
    listed in startup that is required for any version of windows after
    3.12.

    > Disclaimer: Never touched XP (let alone Vista) and never will,
    > but IMO an essential process is an essential process. MS still
    > haven't managed to drop 80's code nor alter basic operational
    > principles in their product.

    So you aren't dealing with the non-hidden OS processes that are revealed
    in XP and later. *Those* deal with some that *are* required.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 24, 2008
  12. Joe@ stupid.com

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> You're talking as if sun shone out of your behinds. The
    >> machine probably won't even boot. At least 1/3 or maybe
    >> even 4/5 of those "auto start-up" processes are MS "idiot
    >> user aids" and MS spyware and Office bullshit, but several
    >> are essential to the machine working at all.
    >>

    > I *assume* you are talking about what the person you
    > replied to said as opposed to what I did. If that is not
    > the case, name *one* program listed in startup that is
    > required for any version of windows after 3.12.

    I was talking about stuff that a program like TaskInfo shows
    you, not what A/C/D shows you. THAT is NOTHING, as we both know.
    And a lot of useless crap (especially if you have a lot of MS
    programs - I have NONE except the OS) runs in the background and
    most likely does NOT show UNLESS you use something like
    TaskInfo!

    BTW, I know that my reply was not properly placed in the thread,
    I just wanted to say what I wanted to say. For whatever stupid
    reasons.

    >> Disclaimer: Never touched XP (let alone Vista) and never
    >> will, but IMO an essential process is an essential
    >> process. MS still haven't managed to drop 80's code nor
    >> alter basic operational principles in their product.
    >>

    > So you aren't dealing with the non-hidden OS processes that
    > are revealed in XP and later. *Those* deal with some that
    > *are* required.

    Well, not to drag this out any longer since I think we agree,
    but killing ALL processes WOULD make the machine unbootable then
    wouldn't it? Unless the MS tools only show you the non-essential
    processes, in which case I suppose one COULD delete them all and
    then add one by one, although it doesn't sound like much fun.

    I am positive the CD thing is purely a CD/DVD software problem.
    A friend of mine runs XP on a PII 266 with 256 MB of RAM (I do
    NOT understand HOW it even boots) and his DVD drive would not
    show up in Windows. There was a very simple registry correction
    solution on the MS site. He, of course, could not fix it, but I
    did, in 3 minutes, even though that was the only time I looked
    at the XP registry. It was NOT pretty. Those MS coders must be
    NUTS.

    I have been trying (for years) to get him to upgrade to 98SE
    (considering his processor and memory) but he refuses. Some
    people can only be helped by killing them.

    thanatoid, Mar 25, 2008
  13. Joe@ stupid.com

    Guest

    bornfree wrote:
    > On 23 Mar, 06:14, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > > Joe@ stupid.com wrote innews::
    > >

    > > > Hello,
    > > > I have a Toshiba laptop and I am running Windows XP with it.

    > > > Okay so I know how to see the programs which are running in the
    > > > backgroun via typing "msconfig" in the "run
    > > > field and clicking the correct tab. What I don't know is how to read
    > > > the list that I do get! There are just a buttload of abbreviations
    > > > with the information that they are either running or not running and
    > > > whether they are system programs or not system programs. I really
    > > > want to clear out everything I don't need to be running and I'm
    > > > wondering if there is a list somewhere that I can access or download
    > > > that will explain what these abbreviated programs are and which ones
    > > > are safe to stop running. Can anyone help me with this please?

    > > > I thank you in advance,
    > > > Joe

    > > You can safely disable all in startup and windows will still run fine,
    > > however you may find that a) you no longer have your
    > > anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking automatically b) no longer
    > > have your firewall running c) no longer can read open session cd's in
    > > windows (no great loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never properly
    > > implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will havr to be
    > > started manually.

    > c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows
    >
    > Which process does that relate to?
    >
    > > The best approach is to disable all and then reenable those you need
    > > such as he first two or three above.

    > I agree with that.

    I don't, if one doesn't understand what they do to begin with, then,
    , Mar 25, 2008
  14. Joe@ stupid.com

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid <> wrote in

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> You're talking as if sun shone out of your behinds. The
    >>> machine probably won't even boot. At least 1/3 or maybe
    >>> even 4/5 of those "auto start-up" processes are MS "idiot
    >>> user aids" and MS spyware and Office bullshit, but several
    >>> are essential to the machine working at all.
    >>>

    >> I *assume* you are talking about what the person you
    >> replied to said as opposed to what I did. If that is not
    >> the case, name *one* program listed in startup that is
    >> required for any version of windows after 3.12.

    > I was talking about stuff that a program like TaskInfo shows
    > you, not what A/C/D shows you. THAT is NOTHING, as we both know.
    > And a lot of useless crap (especially if you have a lot of MS
    > programs - I have NONE except the OS) runs in the background and
    > most likely does NOT show UNLESS you use something like
    > TaskInfo!

    None of the difference would show there. All startup programs are shown
    in Task Manager (98SE and earlier). So you *are* talking about the
    hidden MS processes. So in effect you are agreeing to exactly what I said,
    but still disagreeing.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2008
  15. Joe@ stupid.com

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> thanatoid <> wrote in

    >> <SNIP>

    >>> I *assume* you are talking about what the person you
    >>> replied to said as opposed to what I did. If that is not
    >>> the case, name *one* program listed in startup that is
    >>> required for any version of windows after 3.12.

    >> I was talking about stuff that a program like TaskInfo
    >> shows you, not what A/C/D shows you. THAT is NOTHING, as
    >> we both know. And a lot of useless crap (especially if you
    >> have a lot of MS programs - I have NONE except the OS)
    >> runs in the background and most likely does NOT show
    >> UNLESS you use something like TaskInfo!
    >>

    > None of the difference would show there. All startup
    > programs are shown in Task Manager (98SE and earlier)

    Earlier or later? I have "spell checker for edit boxes" which
    (although it is NOT in the startup group, IS in "load" section
    of win.ini) doesn't show. And crucial hidden processes (let's
    use the most blaring example - Kernel32.dll) don't show either.
    (Of course, maybe kernel32.dll is not a *process* - I don't
    know. I know it always runs ;-) although it /is/ astonishingly
    tiny. Generally I find Task Manager fairly useless when looking
    for things deeper beneath the surface. Not to mention it doesn't
    show you ANY file information, nor the HUGE list of "open files"
    that TaskInfo (and others) show you, etc.

    > So
    > you *are* talking about the hidden MS processes. So in
    > effect you are agreeing to exactly what I said, but still
    > disagreeing.

    Maybe I or both of us (or something) misunderstood the OP's
    issue. MY understanding of it was he was talking about stuff
    that starts up, takes up resources and does nothing useful - and
    when you need it can be started manually anyway - like all your
    video card's utilities drivers, MS "FastFind", assorted "idiot
    user aids" etc. or whatever they call it, etc.

    It seems someone suggested that ALL processes visible in
    msconfig (which I have never used - so maybe I should have just
    kept my trap shut) should be turned OFF and tried one by one. My
    'personal guess' would be that kernel32 and msgsrv32.exe /don't
    show/ in msconfig but someone - who I may have misunderstood -
    said EVERYTHING that's running shows. If that IS the case,
    disabling everything (unless there is NO way to disable kernel
    and systray etc) would make the machine unbootable.

    I'm sorry if my careless reading of posts contributed to the
    confusion, and I certainly never meant to imply you agreed with
    me on something that you didn't. I'm not getting any younger and
    I really should just quit posting here to begin with.

    Regards.

    thanatoid, Mar 26, 2008
  16. Joe@ stupid.com

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote in

    >>> <SNIP>

    > It seems someone suggested that ALL processes visible in
    > msconfig (which I have never used - so maybe I should have just
    > kept my trap shut) should be turned OFF and tried one by one. My
    > 'personal guess' would be that kernel32 and msgsrv32.exe /don't
    > show/ in msconfig but someone - who I may have misunderstood -

    No, only things like autoexec.bat's config.sys's and task manager show in config.sys.
    Power management does in 98 for sleep, but that's it.

    > said EVERYTHING that's running shows. If that IS the case,
    > disabling everything (unless there is NO way to disable kernel
    > and systray etc) would make the machine unbootable.

    Just try looking at *your* msconfig's startup and you'll see what we're
    talking about here, Or alternativly start->programs->startup.

    > I'm sorry if my careless reading of posts contributed to the
    > confusion, and I certainly never meant to imply you agreed with
    > me on something that you didn't. I'm not getting any younger and
    > I really should just quit posting here to begin with.

    Don't take it that way. Far too many people here get overexcited by people
    misreading posts and then replying with a non-sequitor. You didn't glean
    the meaning I saw in it. I spent over a year doing mostly cleaning out
    startup for a living, so I know how to spot the "lingo" people use when
    that's the problem. If you haven't done the same job, there's no reason to
    expect that you'd pick that up too. Stay. There's *far* to few people who
    know things here. Shitting on someone because they have a different set of
    knowledge on computers only destroys the group and will make it cease to
    work.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 26, 2008
  17. Joe@ stupid.com

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote in

    >> It seems someone suggested that ALL processes visible in
    >> msconfig (which I have never used - so maybe I should have
    >> just kept my trap shut) should be turned OFF and tried one
    >> by one. My 'personal guess' would be that kernel32 and
    >> msgsrv32.exe /don't show/ in msconfig but someone - who I
    >> may have misunderstood -

    > No, only things like autoexec.bat's config.sys's and task
    > manager show in config.sys. Power management does in 98 for
    > sleep, but that's it.
    >> said EVERYTHING that's running shows. If that IS the case,
    >> disabling everything (unless there is NO way to disable
    >> kernel and systray etc) would make the machine unbootable.
    >>

    > Just try looking at *your* msconfig's startup and you'll
    > see what we're talking about here, Or alternativly
    > start->programs->startup.

    For the /first time/ in my life, I just looked at what msconfig
    looks like on my 98SE machine (THIS is a 10½ year old 95B and
    doesn't have it). It is actually better than I thought it would
    be. Of course, I have never tried /using it/ ;-)

    >> I'm sorry if my careless reading of posts contributed to
    >> the confusion, and I certainly never meant to imply you
    >> agreed with me on something that you didn't. I'm not
    >> getting any younger and I really should just quit posting
    >> here to begin with.
    >>

    > Don't take it that way. Far too many people here get
    > overexcited by people misreading posts and then replying
    > with a non-sequitor. You didn't glean the meaning I saw in
    > it. I spent over a year doing mostly cleaning out startup
    > for a living, so I know how to spot the "lingo" people use
    > when that's the problem. If you haven't done the same job,
    > there's no reason to expect that you'd pick that up too.
    > Stay. There's *far* to few people who know things here.
    > Shitting on someone because they have a different set of
    > knowledge on computers only destroys the group and will
    > make it cease to work.

    I am very impressed by your mature attitude. Since I have had
    TaskInfo for as long as I can remember, and know it shows more
    things than TM, and until 1 minute ago have NEVER run msconfig
    (HAVE run sysedit and regedit and messed with startup thousands
    of times), I guess the summary of the events could be that I got
    a little excited and spoke too much too quickly and too soon,
    for a start.

    Anyway, I'll try to read more carefully and I appreciate your
    patience and comments.

    Regards.

    thanatoid, Mar 27, 2008
  18. Joe@ stupid.com

    Roy Jones Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 03:58:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    > bornfree wrote:

    >>> You can safely disable all in startup and windows will still run fine,
    >>> however you may find that a) you no longer have your
    >>> anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking automatically b) no longer
    >>> have your firewall running c) no longer can read open session cd's in
    >>> windows (no great loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never properly
    >>> implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will havr to be
    >>> started manually.

    >> c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows
    >>
    >> Which process does that relate to?
    >>
    >>> The best approach is to disable all and then reenable those you need
    >>> such as he first two or three above.

    >> I agree with that.

    > I don't, if one doesn't understand what they do to begin with, then,

    Windows doesn't give you a lot of information about the running processes.
    You can try a third party program that will tell you more. My current
    favorite is "What's Running." I use it on my computers at home and I use it
    on the job and I recommend it highly.

    What's running will tell you the associated product names of running
    processes, drivers, services and autostarts. It also allows you to
    selectively disable/re-enable autostarts. It will also give you a NETSTAT
    table showing what processes are talking in the network.

    What's Running is a free download at
    http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx.

    RJ
    Roy Jones, Mar 29, 2008
  19. Joe@ stupid.com

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > bornfree wrote:

    >> > You can safely disable all in startup and windows will still run
    >> > fine, however you may find that a) you no longer have your
    >> > anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking automatically b) no
    >> > longer have your firewall running c) no longer can read open
    >> > session cd's in windows (no great loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's
    >> > were never properly implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger
    >> > client will havr to be started manually.

    >> c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows
    >>
    >> Which process does that relate to?
    >>
    >> > The best approach is to disable all and then reenable those you
    >> > need such as he first two or three above.

    >> I agree with that.

    > I don't, if one doesn't understand what they do to begin with, then,

    You *do* when you reenable them. That's the point. Besides, you only
    reenable the ones you *have* to have running. There is plenty of lists
    of startup on the Web. Pennywise has posted at least one such link here.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 29, 2008
  20. Joe@ stupid.com

    bornfree Guest

    On 24 Mar, 04:08, thanatoid <> wrote:
    > bornfree <> wrote innews:
    > ups.com:

    > >> You can safely disable all in startup and windows will
    > >> still run fine, however you may find that a) you no longer
    > >> have your anti-virus/anti-spyware software checking
    > >> automatically b) no longer have your firewall running c)
    > >> no longer can read open session cd's in windows (no great
    > >> loss in my books - rw cd's/dvd's were never properly
    > >> implemented on PC's) d) your instant messenger client will
    > >> havr to be started manually.

    > > c) no longer can read open session cd's in windows

    > > Which process does that relate to?

    > >> The best approach is to disable all and then reenable
    > >> those you need such as he first two or three above.

    > > I agree with that.

    > You're talking as if sun shone out of your behinds. The machine
    > probably won't even boot.

    If malice or envy were tangible and had a shape, it would be the shape
    of a boomerang.

    > At least 1/3 or maybe even 4/5 of
    > those "auto start-up" processes are MS "idiot user aids" and MS
    > spyware and Office bullshit, but several are essential to the
    > machine working at all.

    It successfully boots. Always.
    bornfree, Mar 31, 2008