    to have it returned sometimes it can take a month before they return my
    computers sometimes. So if I can avoid it I will.
    Thanks to all that can help.

    D.L. Man, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Since I don`t know what kind of motherboard you have, I can`t even tell if
    it`s possible.
    Try to look for a jumper on the motherboard named cmos or something like
    that.

    On motherboards who has such a jumper, you only have to change the jumpers
    position and push the
    powerbutton. Doing this once will reset the CMOS where the bios-password are
    stored.
    To reboot, simply set the jumper back at it`s normal positions and boot it
    up.

    Stian Martinsen

    Stian Martinsen, Dec 8, 2003

  3. D.L. Man

    Patrick Guest

    D.L. Man wrote:
    > I just bought a presario 2500 and the previous owner returned it and
    > left the password in it. Well I called compaqs support line and they
    > said that the only way to clear it is by send it back to them. I just
    > wanted to know what if anything I could try from home before I sent
    > it back? Do they need to have it returned sometimes it can take a
    > month before they return my computers sometimes. So if I can avoid it
    > I will.
    > Thanks to all that can help.

    I'm reluctent to give this link, lest it encourages you to try to do it
    yourself.
    However if you want to invalidate Compaq's responsibility for the machine,
    then link shows a program for ~£60 that will erase the password.
    http://www.sharewareorder.com/Compaq-Presario-2500-series-Security-Chip-download-20556.htm

    I'd suggest that you get the machine back to Compaq as quick as possible,
    and be glad that they take responsibility for it.
    Perhaps ask them if thiere is any chance of compensation for your
    inconvenience, at least they aught to pay the costs (postage).

    Patrick, Dec 8, 2003
  4. D.L. Man

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:40:39 -0700, D.L. Man wrote:

    >I just bought a presario 2500 and the previous owner returned it and left
    >the password in it. Well I called compaqs support line and they said that
    >the only way to clear it is by send it back to them. I just wanted to know
    >what if anything I could try from home before I sent it back? Do they need

    Product support and/or customer community link
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/
    For community, pick the top level heading like 'PC system Maintenance'
    and go from there. 3 of the subcategory listings may help then simply
    put in the search box what you want.

    Search www.google.com as well.

    <snip>

    Me