Clearing IE History files once and for all

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ZZ, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. ZZ

    ZZ Guest

    MS has ignored the fact that it is VERY difficult to ensure that you
    have cleared all traces of your browsing history, despite clicking on
    the boxes MS has provided. They just don't clear it regardless of what
    they say. You end up d/l and using other programs to clear the history
    files.

    The one step solution is simple. Download the Mozilla firefox browser.
    If you set <TOOLS><OPTIONS><PRIVACY> and check clear all, it really
    does CLEAR ALL.

    I have tested this extensively and can say that it really does work.

    SO, use IE for most web browsing, and for those sites that you don't
    want anyone to know you go to, use Mozilla Firefox.

    Granted, it has some issues, but as far as clearing your web tracks,
    IT WORKS.
    ZZ, Jul 4, 2004

  2. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
    just as any application does -- it's all there on your
    hard drive for forensics to find.

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:13:19 -0700, in
    <>
    ZZ scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2004

  3. ZZ wrote:

    > SO, use IE for most web browsing, and for those sites that you don't
    > want anyone to know you go to, use Mozilla Firefox.

    If you've got Mozilla installed, you have no need for IE anymore.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    New June 23:
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2004
  4. ZZ

    ZZ Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:24:22 +0100, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
    >just as any application does -- it's all there on your
    >hard drive for forensics to find.
    >

    >On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:13:19 -0700, in
    > <>
    > ZZ scrawled:
    >
    >>MS has ignored the fact that it is VERY difficult to ensure that you
    >>have cleared all traces of your browsing history, despite clicking on
    >>the boxes MS has provided. They just don't clear it regardless of what
    >>they say. You end up d/l and using other programs to clear the history
    >>files.
    >>
    >>The one step solution is simple. Download the Mozilla firefox browser.
    >>If you set <TOOLS><OPTIONS><PRIVACY> and check clear all, it really
    >>does CLEAR ALL.
    >>
    >>I have tested this extensively and can say that it really does work.
    >>
    >>SO, use IE for most web browsing, and for those sites that you don't
    >>want anyone to know you go to, use Mozilla Firefox.
    >>
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    >>
    >>Granted, it has some issues, but as far as clearing your web tracks,
    >>IT WORKS.

    It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED when you
    ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE. If I visit a site I don't want the
    casual user to know about mozilla does the job.
    ZZ, Jul 5, 2004
  5. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:03:35 -0700, in
    <>
    ZZ scrawled:

    >On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:24:22 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
    >>just as any application does -- it's all there on your
    >>hard drive for forensics to find.

    <snip>

    >It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED
    >when you ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE.

    The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
    does not, then you have a separate problem.

    >If I visit a site I don't want the casual user to know about mozilla
    >does the job.

    So does IE. Anybody that says otherwise is either a rabid
    anti-Microsoft loon, a penguin pusher/preacher, believes every
    piece of negative information they hear, or are just plain too
    stupid to configure their system properly.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  6. ZZ

    Retiredff Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:03:35 -0700, in
    > <>
    > ZZ scrawled:
    >
    >> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:24:22 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
    >>> just as any application does -- it's all there on your
    >>> hard drive for forensics to find.

    > <snip>
    >
    >> It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED
    >> when you ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE.

    > The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
    > does not, then you have a separate problem.

    But the index.dat history file does not. So, your IE history file is, but it
    isn't.

    Correct?
    Retiredff, Jul 5, 2004
  7. ZZ

    Me Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
    > does not, then you have a separate problem.

    I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
    this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
    tell it to. EVEN ON A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS. It's partly why I
    also chose to dump IE and use Firefox instead.

    You say it's a separate problem, but I don't see how that can be if
    the problem occurs on a fresh install. Please explain how.
    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  8. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:42:28 GMT, in
    <Ut1Gc.5574$>
    Retiredff scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:03:35 -0700, in
    >> <>
    >> ZZ scrawled:

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED
    >>> when you ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE.

    >> The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
    >> does not, then you have a separate problem.

    >But the index.dat history file does not. So, your IE history file
    >is, but it isn't.
    >
    >Correct?

    As I said, "if you are that paranoid". The index.dat file is
    unreadable by the casual user, and gets overwritten as
    your browsing progresses, and the temporary internet
    files and history are cleaned, sites visited again, etc.

    The only people who complain about this issue are those
    that have something to hide, or those unfortunate enough
    and gullible enough to believe the scaremongering about so
    called "super hidden files".

    It is a non-issue for the majority of surfers, but seems to
    be a major issue for those who are terrified that somebody
    might actually find out what they have been viewing, or
    for those who take every opportunity to slam *any* Microsoft
    product -- I have no love for Microsoft products, generally,
    but I find this "index.dat" issue to be quite laughable.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  9. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:45:27 +1000, in
    <>
    Me scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
    >> does not, then you have a separate problem.

    >I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
    >this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
    >tell it to.

    No, it doesn't.

    >EVEN ON A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS.

    Not even on a four year old install, it doesn't.

    >It's partly why I also chose to dump IE and use Firefox instead.

    There's other reasons to do that, but this shouldn't be
    one of them; it's a red herring, *unless* you have
    something to hide from a forensic examination of
    your drive.

    >You say it's a separate problem, but I don't see how that
    >can be if the problem occurs on a fresh install.

    As already stated, it does not.

    >Please explain how.

    *If* the history does not get cleared when the 'Clear
    History' button is pressed, then the (un)likely cause is
    a damaged History folder, or index.dat file. But, of
    course, you and I both know that this is not the
    issue here -- see my reply to "Retiredff".

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  10. ZZ

    Me Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    >> I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
    >> this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
    >> tell it to.

    > No, it doesn't.

    Let me explain: I install Windows on a freshly-formatted HD. I then
    connect to the net, surf a bit, then log off. I open IE's "Internet
    Options" and click the "Clear history" button. I then click the
    "History" button at the top of IE's window and my history of surfed
    sites is still there. Thus, it fails to erase my history, and you
    have no argument against these facts.
    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  11. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:13:47 +1000, in
    <>
    Me scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>> I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
    >>> this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
    >>> tell it to.

    >> No, it doesn't.

    >Let me explain: I install Windows on a freshly-formatted HD. I then
    >connect to the net, surf a bit, then log off. I open IE's "Internet
    >Options" and click the "Clear history" button. I then click the
    >"History" button at the top of IE's window and my history of surfed
    >sites is still there.

    That is because you are keeping your browser open whilst
    clearing the cache. Now do the same thing, but close your
    browser, either before or after you have cleared the cache.
    It WILL be gone, unless you have a problem with your
    History folder.

    >Thus, it fails to erase my history,

    No, it doesn't.

    >and you have no argument

    I have no argument? Then what have I been doing?

    > against these facts.

    They are not facts, they are your interpretations.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  12. ZZ

    Me Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    >> Let me explain: I install Windows on a freshly-formatted HD. I then
    >> connect to the net, surf a bit, then log off. I open IE's "Internet
    >> Options" and click the "Clear history" button. I then click the
    >> "History" button at the top of IE's window and my history of surfed
    >> sites is still there.

    > That is because you are keeping your browser open whilst clearing the

    cache.

    No I wasn't, and I never said that. I was clearing the history through
    "Internet Options" via the Control Panel, and it failed from there.

    > Now do the same thing, but close your browser, either before or after
    > you have cleared the cache. It WILL be gone, unless you have a problem
    > with your History folder.

    Been there, done that; history remains. It seems, according to you, that
    the History folder has a problem right from a fresh Windows install. ;)
    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  13. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:24:41 +1000, in
    <>
    Me scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>> Let me explain: I install Windows on a freshly-formatted HD. I then
    >>> connect to the net, surf a bit, then log off. I open IE's "Internet
    >>> Options" and click the "Clear history" button. I then click the
    >>> "History" button at the top of IE's window and my history of surfed
    >>> sites is still there.

    >> That is because you are keeping your browser open whilst clearing the

    >cache.
    >
    >No I wasn't, and I never said that. I was clearing the history through
    >"Internet Options" via the Control Panel, and it failed from there.

    You said: "I open IE's "Internet Options" and click the "Clear history" button."

    >> Now do the same thing, but close your browser, either before or after
    >> you have cleared the cache. It WILL be gone, unless you have a problem
    >> with your History folder.

    >Been there, done that; history remains.

    Bullshit.

    > It seems, according to you, that the History folder has a problem
    >right from a fresh Windows install. ;)

    So which category are you, then?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  14. ZZ

    Me Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > You said: "I open IE's "Internet Options" and click the "Clear
    > history" button."

    Of course: IE's "Internet Options" are available at the Control Panel.

    >> Been there, done that; history remains.

    > Bullshit.

    Okay then. Since you aren't here to witness the event, you have no
    right to claim my story as bullshit, and it shows your character.

    Bye!
    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  15. ZZ

    Ionizer Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > °Mike° wrote:
    >
    > >> Let me explain: I install Windows on a freshly-formatted HD. I then
    > >> connect to the net, surf a bit, then log off. I open IE's "Internet
    > >> Options" and click the "Clear history" button. I then click the
    > >> "History" button at the top of IE's window and my history of surfed
    > >> sites is still there.

    > > That is because you are keeping your browser open whilst clearing the

    > cache.
    >
    > No I wasn't, and I never said that. I was clearing the history through
    > "Internet Options" via the Control Panel, and it failed from there.
    >
    > > Now do the same thing, but close your browser, either before or after
    > > you have cleared the cache. It WILL be gone, unless you have a

    problem
    > > with your History folder.

    > Been there, done that; history remains. It seems, according to you,

    that
    > the History folder has a problem right from a fresh Windows install. ;)

    I've just tried clearing my History folder three different ways in IE 6,
    and all three were successful. I tried doing it from the Control Panel as
    you describe, I tried emptying it from IE Tools|Options and then closing
    and re-opening IE, and finally I did it from IE Tools|Options but left IE
    open. In all three cases, when I then clicked on "History" within IE,
    there was nothing there any more.

    What am I doing wrong?

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jul 5, 2004
  16. ZZ

    Me Guest

    Ionizer wrote:

    > I've just tried clearing my History folder three different ways in IE 6

    [snip]
    > In all three cases, when I then clicked on "History" within IE, there
    > was nothing there any more.

    I'm using IE v5.00 with W2K Pro (SP4) and it doesn't clear for me, so
    perhaps it's a bug in that version then. That would likely explain it.
    Me, Jul 5, 2004
  17. ZZ

    Ionizer Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Ionizer wrote:
    >
    > > I've just tried clearing my History folder three different ways in IE

    6
    > [snip]
    > > In all three cases, when I then clicked on "History" within IE, there
    > > was nothing there any more.

    > I'm using IE v5.00 with W2K Pro (SP4) and it doesn't clear for me, so
    > perhaps it's a bug in that version then. That would likely explain it.

    I just found something you may find interesting- you are apparently not
    alone. This page lists programs which can interfere with IE clearing its
    History folder: http://www.purgeie.com/lockhist.htm

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jul 5, 2004
  18. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:08:22 +1000, in
    <>
    Me scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> You said: "I open IE's "Internet Options" and click the "Clear
    >> history" button."

    >Of course: IE's "Internet Options" are available at the Control Panel.

    Yeah, right!

    >>> Been there, done that; history remains.

    >> Bullshit.

    >Okay then. Since you aren't here to witness the event, you have no
    >right to claim my story as bullshit, and it shows your character.

    I have *every* right to not believe what you are claiming,
    particularly since what you are claiming is pure fantasy.

    >Bye!

    No stamina?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  19. ZZ

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:19:34 +1000, in
    <>
    Me scrawled:

    >Ionizer wrote:
    >
    >> I've just tried clearing my History folder three different ways in IE 6

    >[snip]
    >> In all three cases, when I then clicked on "History" within IE, there
    >> was nothing there any more.

    >I'm using IE v5.00 with W2K Pro (SP4) and it doesn't clear for me, so
    >perhaps it's a bug in that version then. That would likely explain it.

    Yeah, sure, blame another version, that has been used by
    millions, without problems, for many years.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  20. http://secunia.com/product/3256/
    Watch for these vulnerabilities in Firefox.

    Richard McCann, Jul 5, 2004