    Greg House Guest

    Any one know what is going on..

    Are they updating to V92...?

    Greg House, Jul 29, 2007

  2. On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:40:44 +1200, Greg House <ghouse
    wrote:

    > Any one know what is going on..
    >
    > Are they updating to V92...?

    Hey, Woger. Questions end with a question mark - not with two full stops.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 29, 2007

  3. Greg House

    Richard Guest

    Greg House wrote:

    > Any one know what is going on..
    >
    > Are they updating to V92...?

    Why would anyone upgrade dialup equipment these days?

    Richard, Jul 29, 2007
  4. Greg House

    Rob S Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Greg House wrote:
    >>

    >> Any one know what is going on..
    >>
    >> Are they updating to V92...?

    > Why would anyone upgrade dialup equipment these days?

    Don't know why, but the whole group is doing it, not just clear.net.

    Email I got the other day

    "As part of our on-going maintenance programme, we will be upgrading
    equipment relating to dialup Internet services for paradise.net on the
    5th of August.
    Dialup services for all paradise.net users will be unavailable for a
    period of 6 hours.
    BROADBAND SERVICES REMAIN UNAFFECTED.
    For minimal impact, the outage will occur from MIDNIGHT to 6AM on the
    morning of SUNDAY the 5th of AUGUST."

    I can't see it bothering many at all, except maybe a few dialup users
    who have scheduled updates of various kinds to dialup and download
    automatically in the wee hours, a custom I used myself for a couple of
    years.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Linux means productivity and fun. NT means 'Not Today'.

    Rob S, Jul 29, 2007
  5. Greg House

    Richard Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    >> Why would anyone upgrade dialup equipment these days?

    > Don't know why, but the whole group is doing it, not just clear.net.

    Probably removing the now redundant equipment and centralizing it more
    then it is at the moment.

    Richard, Jul 30, 2007
  6. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:48:46 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Rob S wrote:
    >>> Why would anyone upgrade dialup equipment these days?

    >> Don't know why, but the whole group is doing it, not just clear.net.

    >Probably removing the now redundant equipment and centralizing it more
    >then it is at the moment.

    There are more Dial Up users than Broad Band in NZ, its simple Broad Band cost to much here..

    Greg House, Jul 30, 2007
  7. Greg House

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:15:04 +1200, in message <>,
    Greg House < wrote:

    > >> Don't know why, but the whole group is doing it, not just clear.net.

    > >Probably removing the now redundant equipment and centralizing it more
    > >then it is at the moment.

    > There are more Dial Up users than Broad Band in NZ, its simple Broad Band cost to much here..

    Which NZ ISPs support V92? Are there any?

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jul 30, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Richard Guest

    Greg House wrote:

    >>> Don't know why, but the whole group is doing it, not just clear.net.

    >> Probably removing the now redundant equipment and centralizing it more
    >> then it is at the moment.

    > There are more Dial Up users than Broad Band in NZ, its simple Broad Band cost to much here..

    May be true, but how many new dial up customers are there vs the ones
    moving to a better connection?

    Richard, Jul 30, 2007
  9. Greg House wrote:

    > There are more Dial Up users than Broad Band in NZ, its simple Broad Band cost to much here..

    According to reports entry level broadband in NZ is priced well compared
    to other countries. I think your complaint is your are not happy with
    the performance you get for the price

    Jason Fanning, Jul 30, 2007
  10. Greg House

    peterwn Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Greg House wrote:
    >>

    >> Any one know what is going on..
    >>
    >> Are they updating to V92...?

    > Why would anyone upgrade dialup equipment these days?

    Simply because there is a large number of users out there who can get
    nothing but dialup. It is therefore incumbent on Telecom and ISP's to
    do their utmost to make dialup work as well as possible.

    There are those so used to broadband that they send E-mails with several
    megabyte attachments and jam up the dialup recipients.

    Even if Kordia / Orcon do ultimately provide an affordable rural
    broadband service, there will be a significant number of rural people
    not covered by such a service as they would not be in line of sight of
    Kordia TV transmitting or microwave towers.

    peterwn, Jul 30, 2007
  11. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:00:45 +0100, Jason Fanning <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >

    >> There are more Dial Up users than Broad Band in NZ, its simple Broad Band cost to much here..

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6900697.stm
    >
    >According to reports entry level broadband in NZ is priced well compared
    >to other countries. I think your complaint is your are not happy with
    >the performance you get for the price

    No its not Read the NEWS here..

    Greg House, Jul 31, 2007
  12. On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:03:18 +1200, peterwn wrote:

    > There are those so used to broadband that they send E-mails with several
    > megabyte attachments and jam up the dialup recipients.

    Those sorts are frequently known as "users of M$ Office" - those who are
    clueless, who need people to hold their hand when they click "ok" to open
    a document that they've just double clicked on, who can be relied upon to
    spread any virus, and who frequently know less about the applications they
    use all day long than the persons who don't use those applications, but
    have to fix the problems caused by those morons!

    Sometimes I warm to the BOFH, and his perceptive view (IMHO) of Luzerland.

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 31, 2007
  13. Greg House

    -Newsman- Guest

    < wrote:

    >Any one know what is going on..
    >
    >Are they updating to V92...?

    After much deliberation and procrastination I've decided to update my
    c1953 pushabout lawnmower. I'm going to oil the front roller bearings
    for the first time.

    -Newsman-, Aug 2, 2007
  14. Greg House

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:15:04 +1200, Greg House
    < wrote:

    >>> Don't know why, but the whole group is doing it, not just clear.net.

    >>Probably removing the now redundant equipment and centralizing it more
    >>then it is at the moment.

    >There are more Dial Up users than Broad Band in NZ, its simple Broad Band cost to much here..

    My TelstraClear service last evening:

    Down: 4340M

    Up: 2435M

    Charge: NZ$29.00 per month.

    -Newsman-, Aug 2, 2007
  15. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:20:11 GMT, (-Newsman-) wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:15:04 +1200, Greg House
    >< wrote:

    >>>Probably removing the now redundant equipment and centralizing it more
    >>>then it is at the moment.

    >>There are more Dial Up users than Broad Band in NZ, its simple Broad Band cost to much here..

    >My TelstraClear service last evening:
    >
    >Down: 4340M
    >
    >Up: 2435M
    >
    >Charge: NZ$29.00 per month.

    Tell mew I am very confused what does Down: 4340M & Up: 2435M mean..?

    Greg House, Aug 3, 2007
  16. In message <>, -Newsman- wrote:

    > After much deliberation and procrastination I've decided to update my
    > c1953 pushabout lawnmower. I'm going to oil the front roller bearings
    > for the first time.

    Aren't you worried that might trigger a need to reactivate...?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2007
  17. Greg House

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:26:02 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, -Newsman- wrote:
    >
    >> After much deliberation and procrastination I've decided to update my
    >> c1953 pushabout lawnmower. I'm going to oil the front roller bearings
    >> for the first time.

    >Aren't you worried that might trigger a need to reactivate...?

    I'm told Microsoft will decline any request to support my initiative
    but to try:

    www.pensionerhobbies.com

    -Newsman-, Aug 3, 2007