    cleanup but how?

    Thanks in advance
    miskairal
    miskairal, May 1, 2004

  2. miskairal

    Moz Champion Guest

    miskairal wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I have Mozilla 1.5 and use Mozilla Mail for viewing newsgroups.
    > How do I cleanup old threads/topics ie. the ones that are no longer on
    > the server but still appear in the Mozilla mail window?
    >
    > In the Mail and Newsgroup settings I have found an option that states
    > "When it is time to clean up messages: Keep messages which have arrived
    > within the past xx days". I figure there must be some way to do the
    > cleanup but how?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > miskairal

    You dont 'invoke' the cleanup, Mozilla does it for you.
    Simply set the time limit for the news server as it suits you, or suits the server. i.e. if the server expires messages at 14 days, then set the time limit at 14 days, and Mozilla will automatically delete those messages from your local 'get' after 14 days.

    You can also set a lower time limit if you wish, or a longer one of course.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, May 3, 2004

  3. miskairal

    Jacob Riis Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > miskairal wrote:
    >
    >> I have Mozilla 1.5 and use Mozilla Mail for viewing newsgroups.
    >> How do I cleanup old threads/topics ie. the ones that are no longer
    >> on the server but still appear in the Mozilla mail window?
    >>
    >> In the Mail and Newsgroup settings I have found an option that states
    >> "When it is time to clean up messages: Keep messages which have
    >> arrived within the past xx days". I figure there must be some way to
    >> do the cleanup but how?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> miskairal
    >>

    > You dont 'invoke' the cleanup, Mozilla does it for you.
    > Simply set the time limit for the news server as it suits you, or
    > suits the server. i.e. if the server expires messages at 14 days,
    > then set the time limit at 14 days, and Mozilla will automatically
    > delete those messages from your local 'get' after 14 days.
    >
    > You can also set a lower time limit if you wish, or a longer one of
    > course.

    I have some groups that stays on the server for very long time ( newsgroups
    about my Internet provider) then some groups that stays there for a year
    ( All Danish text groups) then some foreign textgroups that stays there for
    shorter time, The binary groups have retention times from 1 day to 1 month)

    So how should I set it up... I would say that Mozilla should delete unread
    threads if they are no longer on the server.

    --
    Tips for Mozilla Firefox
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/jacob667
    Jacob Riis, May 3, 2004
  4. miskairal

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jacob Riis wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >>miskairal wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have Mozilla 1.5 and use Mozilla Mail for viewing newsgroups.
    >>>How do I cleanup old threads/topics ie. the ones that are no longer
    >>>on the server but still appear in the Mozilla mail window?
    >>>
    >>>In the Mail and Newsgroup settings I have found an option that states
    >>>"When it is time to clean up messages: Keep messages which have
    >>>arrived within the past xx days". I figure there must be some way to
    >>>do the cleanup but how?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>miskairal
    >>>

    >>You dont 'invoke' the cleanup, Mozilla does it for you.
    >>Simply set the time limit for the news server as it suits you, or
    >>suits the server. i.e. if the server expires messages at 14 days,
    >>then set the time limit at 14 days, and Mozilla will automatically
    >>delete those messages from your local 'get' after 14 days.
    >>
    >>You can also set a lower time limit if you wish, or a longer one of
    >>course.

    > I have some groups that stays on the server for very long time ( newsgroups
    > about my Internet provider) then some groups that stays there for a year
    > ( All Danish text groups) then some foreign textgroups that stays there for
    > shorter time, The binary groups have retention times from 1 day to 1 month)
    >
    > So how should I set it up... I would say that Mozilla should delete unread
    > threads if they are no longer on the server.

    Simply because they are kept on the server for a long time (a year) doesnt require you to keep them. Simply set up your own time limit, dependent on your interest. For example, on 'this' server, I have messages set to be kept for only 5 days, yet there is a group (one of the comp.infosystems set) that has a year long expiry date. Because the server keeps the messages just doesnt mean you have to.

    Many servers have differing expiry times, based on the specific groups. Mozilla uses a server based one (each server can have its own 'keep' time if you like).

    The combinations and permutations are endless, really. You can set up individual accounts and group the newsgroups as per the server set expiry dates, or you can use one account and set your own keep limit.

    I suggest simply setting your 'keep' limit to an arbritary number of days that you yourself estimate is sufficient to retain old messages, and then allow Mozilla to automatically delete those messages which are older.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, May 3, 2004
  5. miskairal

    Jacob Riis Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    [SNIP]

    > I suggest simply setting your 'keep' limit to an arbritary number of
    > days that you yourself estimate is sufficient to retain old messages,
    > and then allow Mozilla to automatically delete those messages which
    > are older.

    I must admit I am using Outlook Express to read news. (even if I am a big
    mozilla user). It's way easier in OE to see if there are new answers in the
    threads I am watching. But I download the Thunderbird when a new milestone
    is released to test it a little and see if it is getting any better. But in
    my view there are better options for newsreaders than Mozilla.
    So I will continue to use OE for newsgroups.

    Jacob Riis, May 4, 2004
  6. miskairal

    miskairal Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Jacob Riis wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> You dont 'invoke' the cleanup, Mozilla does it for you.
    >>> Simply set the time limit for the news server as it suits you, or
    >>> suits the server. i.e. if the server expires messages at 14 days,
    >>> then set the time limit at 14 days, and Mozilla will automatically
    >>> delete those messages from your local 'get' after 14 days.
    >>>
    >>> You can also set a lower time limit if you wish, or a longer one of
    >>> course.

    THANKYOU!!
    I opened Mozilla this morning and it must be cleanup time as I'm finally
    reduced in the number of headers present.

    Thanks heaps for your help as it probably still wouldn't have dawned on
    me how it was cleaned up :)
    miskairal, May 4, 2004