Cleaning viewfinder inside Digital Rebel

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan D, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. Alan D

    Alan D Guest

    When I look through the viewfinder of my digital rebel, I see some spots of
    dust. Not annoying yet, but I know that after longer use, it will be. I
    have determined that this "dust" is on the viewfinder piece inside the
    camera rather than where you look through from the outside. I am not sure
    what that piece is called, but it is the piece that contains the little
    black squares for auto focusing. With the lens off looking inside, the
    first thing you see is the mirror. The piece I am referring to is above the
    mirror under the viewfinder.

    If one were to attempt to clean that, what cleaning solution would you use?
    Methanol, lens cleaner, etc.? Also, would you use a swab or lens tissue
    paper?

    I have done the dust test on my sensor and there is a small amount of dust,
    but nothing I am going to clean just yet.

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Alan D

    Your-nice Guest

    I would try a blower brush first before anything else and start by just
    using the blower without the brush see if that will move it.

    Your-nice, Jul 31, 2004

  3. Alan D

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <jzNOc.90186$>,
    Alan D <> wrote:

    >If one were to attempt to clean that, what cleaning solution would you use?
    >Methanol, lens cleaner, etc.? Also, would you use a swab or lens tissue
    >paper?

    IME, trying to clean dust off the focus screen is a exercise in futility.
    It can be upsetting the first time you get a UFO in the viewfinder of your
    lovely, formerly dust-free camera, but eventually you're pretty much going
    to have to live with it. I tried everything to clean teh screen when I got
    my first DSLR a few years ago, but it's a losing battle.

    Chris Brown, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Alan D

    Jerry Guest

    This is a View Screen that the dust is on.
    However it is hard to clean but not impossible.
    Get yourself a plastic tweezer and remove it using nothing but water to
    rinse it and dry off with a dust free cloth so as to keep water spots from
    appearing.
    Put the View Screen back in and "WALLA"!
    All professionals that I know clean them on a regular basis. Every time they
    become the least bit dirty.
    A little trick that was taught to me.
    Put the View Screen in a cling free sheet that you use with drying your
    clothes to keep the cling-ons (Static) out.
    Keep these two in a toaster oven for 10 minutes on 125 degrees and then
    replace the view screen.
    Remember a Plastic Tweezer when handling the screen or you will have
    scratches to look at instead of dust bunnies.

    Good Luck,

    Jerry

    Jerry, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Alan D

    Alan D Guest

    I have since tried the blower brush and that made things worse. :) It is
    difficult to reach into that area. I was thinking about using a cotton swab
    wrapped with lens tissue moistened with distilled water. That too may just
    make things worse.

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Aug 1, 2004
  6. Alan D

    Alan D Guest

    How easily does the view screen pop out?

    Alan D.

    Alan D, Aug 1, 2004
  7. Alan D

    Guest

    In message <a%5Pc.2235$>,
    "Alan D" <> wrote:

    >I have since tried the blower brush and that made things worse. :)

    How do you inflate the bulb after squeezing it? I face it opening-down,
    and allow the bulb to open very slowly, to minimize dust intake (to
    allow gravity to have a chance at the dust instead of the suction). I'm
    surprised they don't make caps for the blowers with a filter in the end,
    to put on when filling them. Or a blower with two valves would be nice;
    one with a filter for intake, and one unfiltered for output.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Aug 1, 2004
  8. In article <A06Pc.2236$>,
    "Alan D" <> wrote:

    > How easily does the view screen pop out?
    >
    > Alan D.

    Very easily. I had to remove it because dust somehow got stuck on the
    opposite side of it.

    Turn the camera upside down and look at the mirror damping foam with the
    steepest angle possible. You'll see a metal clip with a hole in it.
    Grab it with stainless steel needle nose tweezers and remove it very
    carefully. It's a spring so the whole assembly can fly apart without a
    solid grip. It reinserts by pushing it back there until it snaps into
    place.

    I suggest you do all of this in the direct output of a good air cleaner.
    You'll have a real mess if you get dust, hair, or skin flakes past that
    Fresnel lens. Don't get dust in the bottom of the camera either or it
    won't focus well.

    I wouldn't try any tricks to reduce static cling unless you know exactly
    what the lens is made of. If it's acrylic, there are many chemicals
    that will make it shatter or crystalize.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 2, 2004
  9. Alan D

    G.T. Guest

    Chris Brown wrote:

    > In article <jzNOc.90186$>,
    > Alan D <> wrote:
    >
    >>If one were to attempt to clean that, what cleaning solution would you use?
    >>Methanol, lens cleaner, etc.? Also, would you use a swab or lens tissue
    >>paper?

    > IME, trying to clean dust off the focus screen is a exercise in futility.
    > It can be upsetting the first time you get a UFO in the viewfinder of your
    > lovely, formerly dust-free camera, but eventually you're pretty much going
    > to have to live with it. I tried everything to clean teh screen when I got
    > my first DSLR a few years ago, but it's a losing battle.

    I concur regarding my Digital Rebel. That is the most staticy material
    in the camera.

    Greg

    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives
    Before it is too late

    G.T., Aug 2, 2004
  10. Alan D

    G.T. Guest

    Alan D wrote:

    > I have since tried the blower brush and that made things worse. :) It is
    > difficult to reach into that area. I was thinking about using a cotton swab
    > wrapped with lens tissue moistened with distilled water. That too may just
    > make things worse.

    That's what I did. Now it's muddy looking and I haven't made a 2nd attempt.

    Greg

    G.T., Aug 2, 2004
  11. There are Sensor Swaps, which nay work on screens. Warning focus screens are
    soft, and can scracth easily.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 2, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    "G.T." <> wrote:

    > Chris Brown wrote:
    >
    > > In article <jzNOc.90186$>,
    > > Alan D <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>If one were to attempt to clean that, what cleaning solution would you use?
    > >>Methanol, lens cleaner, etc.? Also, would you use a swab or lens tissue
    > >>paper?

    > > IME, trying to clean dust off the focus screen is a exercise in futility.
    > > It can be upsetting the first time you get a UFO in the viewfinder of your
    > > lovely, formerly dust-free camera, but eventually you're pretty much going
    > > to have to live with it. I tried everything to clean teh screen when I got
    > > my first DSLR a few years ago, but it's a losing battle.

    > I concur regarding my Digital Rebel. That is the most staticy material
    > in the camera.
    >
    > Greg

    LOL, same here. Electrically charged air turns that screen into a super
    powerful dust magnet. There are some geographic locations where
    swapping lenses is always messy, and some locations where it never
    gathers even one speck.

    San Francisco's Golden Gate Park and San Jose's Mt. Hamilton seem to be
    the worst places. I had no dust problems while in Hawaii, though I had
    to clean sea salt off the polarizers regularly.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 4, 2004