    2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    what's not?

    Please help. Thank you !!

    Penang, Dec 6, 2008

  2. Penang

    1PW Guest

    On 12/06/2008 03:51 AM, Penang sent:
    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > running very slow.
    >
    > Time for spring cleaning !
    >
    > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
    > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
    > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
    > and what's their use are.
    >
    > So my questions to all the Gurus,
    >
    > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
    >
    > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > what's not?
    >
    > Please help. Thank you !!

    1) Backup your data files.

    2) Level and rebuild.

    Nothing else quite compares. Repartition/Reformat the HDD and start
    fresh. All the old things you installed and forgot about, go away.

    Best wishes to you.

    Pete

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Dec 6, 2008

  3. On Dec 6, 4:11 am, 1PW <> wrote:
    > On 12/06/2008 03:51 AM, Penang sent:
    >

    > > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > > running very slow.

    > > Time for spring cleaning !

    > > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
    > > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
    > > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
    > > and what's their use are.

    > > So my questions to all the Gurus,

    > > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?

    > > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > > what's not?

    > > Please help. Thank you !!

    > 1) Backup your data files.
    >
    > 2) Level and rebuild.
    >
    > Nothing else quite compares.  Repartition/Reformat the HDD and start
    > fresh.  All the old things you installed and forgot about, go away.
    >
    > Best wishes to you.
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > --
    > 1PW
    >
    > @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    Is there any other way short of a reformat?

    Last time when I re-installed my XP on a new hard disk, I encountered
    a "serial number" problem. Can't remember much about the details,
    something like the verification server for Microsoft told me that my
    serial number was invalid or something like that, and I had to call
    the MS support line to get a new serial number

    Although it's not a big problem actually, just that I would much
    prefer a way that does NOT involve reformatting the hard disk and the
    re-installing of the OS.

    Hari Hari Mau, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Is there any other way short of a reformat?

    Last time when I re-installed my XP on a new hard disk, I encountered
    a "serial number" problem. Can't remember much about the details,
    something like the verification server for Microsoft told me that my
    serial number was invalid or something like that, and I had to call
    the MS support line to get a new serial number

    Although it's not a big problem actually, just that I would much
    prefer a way that does NOT involve reformatting the hard disk and the
    re-installing of the OS.

    If you have a valid disc with serial # should not be that big of an issue,
    format and install is always the best way to 'clean' house.

    W****n S***********g, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Penang

    R. McCarty Guest

    A Windows Cleanup isn't difficult, but has some risks. Regardless of
    what you do a backup or image is critical. It's very easy to get into a
    mode where you "Over-Clean" the machine and then it either doesn't
    work properly or worse won't boot.

    Acronis True Image is an excellent tool for Imaging a computer.

    The cleanup involves removing unused or unwanted applications from
    the PC. Next you'll want to remove Temporary files. Afterwards a full
    defrag on the Windows volume will restore performance. It's also a
    good idea to verify the disk drive's integrity with Chkdsk. These are
    the minimum operations. There are more detailed/involved procedures
    that deal with Browser add-ins and things that technicians would do.
    It's really beyond the scope of what can be recommended in a NG
    posting.

    Another key point is to update all your applications. Many folks do
    not update items like Sun Java, Adobe Flash and Shockwave.

    Finally you should run alternate vendor Security apps on your PC.Both
    an AntiVirus scan ( BitDefender or Kaspersky ) and Malware tests.

    Hopefully this is enough information to get you started. Just be sure to
    take the time to backup before getting started.

    R. McCarty, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Penang

    Big_Al Guest

    Penang wrote:
    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > running very slow.
    >
    > Time for spring cleaning !
    >
    > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
    > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
    > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
    > and what's their use are.
    >
    > So my questions to all the Gurus,
    >
    > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
    >
    > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > what's not?
    >
    > Please help. Thank you !!

    If you are against "format" you might read what follows and give it some
    thought. I always have good luck reloading. But I've taken that a
    level further lately with an imaging program that allows me to take that
    5 hours of reload time and with a single 15 minute image, I now can
    reload that 5 hours in 15 minutes. So now, reloads are simple. But
    keeping your system clean is going to make it run fast longer.

    See below: this is a collection from other posts, but they are still
    good ideas from all the posters:
    Before you think about reinstalling see the steps listed below.

    #1: A process that's loading down your CPU:
    It could be a sub-process or application that's running in the background
    and taking all the CPU resources, which could be the cause of your PC
    running slow.
    To find and display what could be the problem try Process Explorer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx

    Note: Once you have Process Explorer installed and running:
    In the taskbar select View and check 'Show Process Tree' and
    'Show Lower Pane' options.
    Then expand the process named 'Explorer' (click on the + sign)
    In the column on the left named 'CPU', look for any high CPU usage.
    Next click on the CPU column to sort the processes by %CPU usage
    (Highest to Lowest).
    Move the mouse cursor over any process, you should see a popup with some
    detailed info.
    Then mouse over the process that's using most or all the CPU %.
    Then click on that process to highlight it,
    Now that it's highlighted, right click and from the options listed select:
    'Search Online'
    This should display what out there on the web about that process.
    You can also double click on any process to open up a more detailed
    'Properties' window.
    Note: some entries like Explorer, System/Services, and
    Svchost entries may need to be expanded to show the detail (sub processes),
    in this case click on the + located to the left of the entry.

    An alternate method using Process Explorer is to double click
    on the Graph just below the Menu bar.
    This will open the 'System Information' window, which has a larger display
    of all three graphs.
    Move your mouse over any spike in the CPU Usage graph to see what
    process/application or service was the cause of the spike.

    #2: Stuff that loads during boot or logon and then is always running in the
    background:
    If you want to list and explore what may be the cause then:
    Try Autoruns from the MS Windows SysInternals site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx

    AutoRuns will show/list all apps/etc. that load/run when you first boot
    (Boot Execute tab),
    when you logon (Logon tab) and other programs that load
    (grouped by labeled tabs) for easy viewing.
    It also provides the ability to selectively allows you to stop any program
    (use with care) that you don't want to load.
    You can undo any changes you have made.
    Note: To get additional details on an item in the list you may need to
    highlight the item (right click) and use the 'Search Online' option to get
    the details, especially useful for the more obscure items in the list.

    #3: Viruses
    Viruses and malware can also cause your PC to slowdown or malfunction.
    Malke has an excellent set of instructions on what to do:

    #4: To much crap on the hard drive:
    Take a look at CCleaner as a tool to remove Internet history info, cookies,
    temp files, auto complete and other junk.
    In the 'Windows' tab listing check the item types you want deleted.
    Note: Do not use the registry cleaning option!!!
    Also available is customization, see Options/Custom to add any
    other/additional folders you want files deleted from.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    #5: Defragment your hard drive.

    Big_Al, Dec 6, 2008
  7. "Penang" <> wrote in message

    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > running very slow.
    >
    > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
    >
    > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > what's not?

    Nobody can know what is safe for you to delete because
    nobody knows what you have -- but you can use general
    principles of prudence:
    1. Back up essential data and config settings, preferably
    to a separate hard drive so you can reload them if you
    need to reinstal the OS. WinXP has a Documents and
    Settings Wizard for this purpose.
    2a. If you have plenty of drive space, before removing
    unknown material, you can copy it to a special place
    in case it later turns out you need it. E.g. create a new
    folder /DISCARDS and copy there any folders or files
    about which you are uncertain.
    2b. Instead of deleting files or folders, UNINSTAL all
    unwanted apps that appear in / Control Panel / Add&Remove.
    2c. Verify the reliability of the hard drive before proceeding.
    You may use either WinXP's CHKDISK tool or the drive
    manufacturer's diagnostiicc apps.
    3. The WinXP wizard designed to free wasted drive
    space is Disk Cleanup, one of your /Accessories.
    This totals the space it can clear and seeks your
    OK before proceeding. See also its /Advanced facilities.
    4. When you have done this, test how fast the PC
    boots and then loads apps. You can then decide
    about reinstalling the OS.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Dec 6, 2008
  8. Penang

    TKM Guest

    "Penang" <> wrote in message
    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > running very slow.
    >
    > Time for spring cleaning !
    >
    > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
    > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
    > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
    > and what's their use are.
    >
    > So my questions to all the Gurus,
    >
    > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
    >
    > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > what's not?
    >
    > Please help. Thank you !!

    Getting rid of unused programs is a good first start. Then use CCleaner
    (free). Check My Computer before and after to see how much HD space you've
    gained. I do a backup of the registry befoe running CCleaner just in case.
    After that, do a compact on your e-mail and defrag. I use OE and it
    generates a massive backup file after compaction which I delete after a day
    or so.

    The above steps, done every couple of months, always make a noticeable
    difference in load time and operating speed and, so far, no problems of any
    kind. (Using XP Professional). This all assumes that you do a virus and
    malware scan regularly, so no gremlins are stealing space and time.

    TKM

    TKM, Dec 6, 2008
  9. Penang

    Twayne Guest

    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > running very slow.
    >
    > Time for spring cleaning !
    >
    > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
    > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
    > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
    > and what's their use are.
    >
    > So my questions to all the Gurus,
    >
    > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
    >
    > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > what's not?
    >
    > Please help. Thank you !!

    The easeist and most efficient way to clean out that stuff is to start
    by running disk cleanup:
    Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; Disk Cleanup.

    It sounds like it may take a bit of time to run from your discription,
    so be patient; go have coffee or your fav beverage while it runs.

    Then run the disk defragmenter:
    Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; Defragment.

    Next will be to run an antivirus scan and malware detectors; at least 3
    spyware detectors as have been listed here many times.

    At this point you should be pretty much back to speed, you'll know what
    to try next time, and wont' have lost any data or anythign else. Which
    reminds me, if you aren't backing up your data regularly, you really
    should start doing to before you lose everything.

    If those haven't helped enough, come on back and explain what you have
    and what you did. Some of the other responses here are right, and will
    work, but they're using a wrecking ball and new construction as opposed
    to simply taking out the garbage first.

    HTH

    Twayne

    Twayne, Dec 6, 2008
  10. Penang

    Twayne Guest

    > On Dec 6, 4:11 am, 1PW <> wrote:
    >> On 12/06/2008 03:51 AM, Penang sent:
    >>

    >>> After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    >>> running very slow.

    >>> Time for spring cleaning !

    >>> Checking through the XP directories, especially those under
    >>> "Documents and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there
    >>> are indeed a whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where
    >>> they came from and what's their use are.

    >>> So my questions to all the Gurus,

    >>> 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?

    >>> 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to
    >>> delete, what's not?

    >>> Please help. Thank you !!

    >> 1) Backup your data files.
    >>
    >> 2) Level and rebuild.
    >>
    >> Nothing else quite compares. Repartition/Reformat the HDD and start
    >> fresh. All the old things you installed and forgot about, go away.
    >>
    >> Best wishes to you.
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>
    >> --
    >> 1PW
    >>
    >> @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    > Is there any other way short of a reformat?
    >
    > Last time when I re-installed my XP on a new hard disk, I encountered
    > a "serial number" problem. Can't remember much about the details,
    > something like the verification server for Microsoft told me that my
    > serial number was invalid or something like that, and I had to call
    > the MS support line to get a new serial number
    >
    > Although it's not a big problem actually, just that I would much
    > prefer a way that does NOT involve reformatting the hard disk and the
    > re-installing of the OS.

    Yes; see my answer to the original post.

    Twayne, Dec 6, 2008
  11. Penang

    db.·.. > Guest

    3 years for maintenance
    is too long and you may
    have set a new record.

    on the other hand, cleaning
    may put your system at risk
    because a number of undisclosed
    issues may have already
    undermined the stability of
    your file and disk system.

    be sure to make copies of
    your personal files onto
    another partition or disk, just
    in case.

    --

    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
    DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

    db.·.. >, Dec 6, 2008
  12. [Crosspost much?]

    See http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Dec 6, 2008
  13. Penang

    Xandros Guest

    Your Uninstaller http://www.ursoftware.com/?ref=setup

    --

    Xandros

    Xandros, Dec 6, 2008
  14. On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 03:51:16 -0800 (PST), Penang <>
    wrote:

    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > running very slow.
    >
    > Time for spring cleaning !
    >
    > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
    > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
    > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
    > and what's their use are.
    >
    > So my questions to all the Gurus,
    >
    > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
    >
    > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > what's not?

    Before anyone can accurately answer your questions, you need to answer
    the following questions:

    1. Exactly what "junk" are you talking about?

    2. How do you know it's there?

    3. How do you know it's junk?

    4. What makes you think that what you have identified as "junk" is
    what's responsible for your running slow?

    5. Exactly what are the "STUFFS" in "Documents and Settings" and
    "Windows" and "Program Files" that you think are responsible for your
    slowdown? Note that having a program installed doesn't slow down your
    computer, but running that program might slow it down.

    These days there are two main reasons for a computer's running slowly:

    a. Infection with malware.

    b. Programs autostarting and running in the background that drag down
    Windows performance.

    So please also tell us

    6. What anti-virus and anti-spyware programs you run.

    7. What programs you have autostarting (from Start | Run, run MSConfig
    and you can see the list of them there).

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Dec 6, 2008
  15. Penang

    Guest

    Big_Al <> wrote:

    >Before you think about reinstalling see the steps listed below.

    I would add, to use CCleaner, while I've never used it, others swear
    by it.

    (This is a general macro I use for Hijackthis:)

    Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
    http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe

    No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
    log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
    course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.

    -- when your all done cleaning up, do a repair install, I've run the
    same OS installation (XPro) for over 4 years and it's running just
    fine.

    A repair install is what I do to set things straight again. I've run
    two so far. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    Follow the directions (it's the second repair option, not the first)
    and you will not lose anything.

    This can be a lot of problems for some people, the best chance you
    have of doing this is if you have a XP CD slipstreamed to the latest
    SP
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    Replace SP2 with SP3. it's not an easy process.

    There is also SFC but it rarely works after a few updates.
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    --

    http://trueteaser.com/rock-hard/

    , Dec 6, 2008
  16. Penang

    Kelly Guest

    From a previous post:

    Start/Search:

    *.tmp
    *

    Other files you could delete are files with these extensions:

    ..dmp - Dump file. When Windows (or an application) experiences a crash, a
    memory dump is performed. If you don't use these files (for trouble
    shooting), delete them, you can save quite a bit of space!
    ..bak - Backup file; when a new (data) file is created, some programs will
    rename the old version with a .bak extension. Be careful when removing these
    files.
    ..cnt - Help-related file; ever notice those tables of contents when you
    launch certain Help files? If you don't need a table to help you navigate
    through a Help file, delete these. They will not come back.
    ..fts - Help-related file; when you perform a search with a Help file, this
    is created to make all future searches be performed quicker. E.G., not worth
    having around unless you use Help files on a daily basis. They are
    re-created if you do a search in a Help file, so these should be regularly
    scanned for and deleted.
    ..gid - Help-related file; when you run a Help file, it creates a GID to make
    future accesses to that particular help file a tad quicker. They're a
    complete waste of space. You'll have to delete these on a regular basis, as
    they are recreated with every Help file execution.
    ..old - Old file; see .bak.
    ..~mp - Temporary file; see .tmp.
    ..$$$ - Old file; see .bak (usually, not always)
    ..000 - Old file; see .bak

    To be on the safe side, delete your files to the Recycle Bin, and leave them
    there for a week or two. If you don't run into any problems, you can empty
    the Recycle Bin. If Windows or any program complains about a missing file,
    just select your Recycle Bin, find the file and right-click on it. From the
    context menu choose Restore. This will restore the file to its original
    location.

    --

    All the Best and Happy Holidays,
    Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Kelly, Dec 6, 2008
  17. Penang

    catchme Guest

    Penang wrote:
    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
    > running very slow.
    >
    > Time for spring cleaning !
    >
    > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
    > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
    > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
    > and what's their use are.
    >
    > So my questions to all the Gurus,
    >
    > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
    >
    > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
    > what's not?
    >
    > Please help. Thank you !!

    god where to begin....
    delete all old applications, files, etc.
    rebuild desktop
    defragment hard drive
    check your registries, processes and services
    ensure that your firewall, Antivirus, etc. is up-to-date
    i do all of these things on weekly or monthly basis- its the "reward"
    for buying a Piece of Crap, Windows machine.
    congrats. that you managed to run 3 years without doing any? of these
    things...?

    --
    To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
    Resist much, obey little,

    -Walt Whitman, 1860

    catchme, Dec 6, 2008
  18. To the original poster:

    You have a lot of excellent advice coming in from the people on this
    newsgroup for cleaning your system without having to reformat and reinstall.
    So I don't have much better or new to add but what follows.

    Whatever you decide to do to "clean up" your system, take an inventory of
    the purchased programs you value most as helpful or reinstallable and make a
    list of their activation keys or serial numbers and print a hardcopy of that
    list.

    Then, burn the setup or installation files of these programs along with a
    text file containing your list of activation keys and serial numbers to a cd
    or dvd recordable disk, or save them to a flash drive or other storage
    device so you will have them when you are ready to reinstall them.

    This will be especially helpful if you have to do a reformat and
    reinstallation of your system.

    Also, Microsoft no longer requires people to phone in their serial numbers
    to reactivate their systems, and this is only a necessity now if you can't
    activate online. You have thirty days, so you will have plenty of time to
    reactivate after getting back online with your isp.

    In fact I just reactivated my system yesterday after reinstalling it after
    it crashed recently.

    I hope this helps,

    --
    Peace,

    Jeffrey W. Bowen
    Remove NO SPAM entries from email address to send personal email.

    Please post replies of successes or failures so we all can benefit from each
    others' experiences.

    Jeffrey W. Bowen, Dec 6, 2008
  19. Penang

    relic Guest

    Penang wrote:
    > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks,

    Do you live in Hong Kong? They have that same problem there.

    relic, Dec 6, 2008
  20. Penang

    Damian Guest

    wrote:
    > Big_Al <> wrote:
    >
    >> Before you think about reinstalling see the steps listed below.

    > I would add, to use CCleaner, while I've never used it, others swear
    > by it.
    >
    > (This is a general macro I use for Hijackthis:)
    >
    > Go here http://hijackthis.de/en download
    > http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe
    >
    > No need to install, just run it; Scan, save log, copy then, paste the
    > log file into http://hijackthis.de/en click analyze. Google first of
    > course, but Red should be deleted and yellow researched.
    >
    > -- when your all done cleaning up, do a repair install, I've run the
    > same OS installation (XPro) for over 4 years and it's running just
    > fine.
    >
    > A repair install is what I do to set things straight again. I've run
    > two so far. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    > Follow the directions (it's the second repair option, not the first)
    > and you will not lose anything.
    >
    > This can be a lot of problems for some people, the best chance you
    > have of doing this is if you have a XP CD slipstreamed to the latest
    > SP
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    > Replace SP2 with SP3. it's not an easy process.
    >
    > There is also SFC but it rarely works after a few updates.
    > http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Even after all that verbiage, a Format and Clean Install is what the OP
    needs to do.

    Damian, Dec 6, 2008