Cleaning up restore points not working in Vista 64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Don, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hey gang,

    I posted the below couple days ago in Vista general, did not have any luck
    there perhaps due to the high noise to signal ratio, so thought I would try
    here.

    Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. Note - I have not yet
    installed SP1.

    Hey gang,

    I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

    When I go to disk cleanup, and choose to cleanup files for " all users", I
    get the more options tab, with the choice to let me choose to delete all but
    the last restore point.

    However, when I do this, it does not appear to delete any of the older
    restore points? Is this a known issue perhaps, or am I missing something?

    Thanks for any tips here,

    --
    Don
    Don, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Don

    Mark Guest

    MS:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1264bc24-72a8-48aa-84e3-a355327139d91033.mspx

    A better method may be to decrease the size of Restore Point space allowed
    to keep it within the bounds you desire. Or, momentarily turn System Restore
    off, then turn it back on and manually create a new resotre point.

    Obviously, any of these should be considered carefully prior to execution
    since it removes one method of recovery to a drastic mistake. But, having
    made the decision to use Disk Cleanup implies you've already made that
    consideration.

    Mark, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks for the link Mark, I have bookmarked for future reference.

    Had a little time this morning, so I went ahead and installed SP1. I just
    checked and it deleted my older restore points, leaving only the restore it
    created prior to installing SP1.

    I will try again as more restore points are created and see what happens.

    Thanks,

    --
    Don

    Don, Mar 20, 2008
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Ok gang, I just tried it again, since I have SP1 and system is running well.

    I ran disk cleanup, choosing for " all users". I then selected, more
    options, and to delete all but the most recent restore point.

    It did not delete any of the restore points, I am still showing all restore
    points since installing SP1.

    Anyone else ever run across this? I don't think, it is something I am doing
    wrong...

    --
    Don

    Don, Mar 22, 2008
  5. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    Just a suggestion, but since this is a small group and yours is a general
    question, maybe you would get more response in the Vista newsgroup. I know
    I, for one, want more than just the last restore point, so I can't be of
    help.

    John Barnes, Mar 22, 2008
  6. Don

    Don Guest

    I will try again, thanks John.
    I had tried there before, unfortunately I think my post got lost amongst all
    the noise to signal ratio there, I will post again and see if get any
    response this time.

    --
    Don

    Don, Mar 22, 2008
  7. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    Right now with all the problems people are having with SP1, there is a
    veritable cacophony of noise. It doesn't take long with thousands of posts
    a day to get buried.

    John Barnes, Mar 23, 2008
  8. Don

    Don Guest

    Well, it worked that time, I got an answer. Turned out to be a permissions
    things, had to run "start cleanmgr", from right clicking a command prompt
    and choosing to run as administrator.
    It then worked as expected.

    Thanks,

    Don, Mar 23, 2008
  9. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for reporting back. Nice to hear you found a solution. Mark can be
    quite helpful.

    John Barnes, Mar 23, 2008