    "Fans like home runs. And we have assembled a pitching staff to please the
    fans."

    - Clark Griffith, Washington Senators Owner
    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Apr 17, 2005

  2. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    °Mike° Guest

    Do not delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder, but
    you can delete the \SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.

    You desperately need a larger hard drive. For more cleanup
    tips, see my signature.

    In <Xns963BAC6AEFC34jonwolgamuthinboxnet@63.240.76.16>,
    Jonathan Wolgamuth took 16 lines to utter:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 17, 2005

  3. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:56:42 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    <> wrote:

    |>This is a huge waste of my disk space if it is not needed. Also, is there
    |>anything else I can clean out after this install that can safely be
    |>removed?

    There's a directory call'd (IIRC) ServicePackFiles in the Windows
    directory, it's close to 600megs.

    I deleted it right after I installed SP2 with no ill effects.

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/
    , Apr 17, 2005
  4. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    JANA Guest

    Since you are running XP, you are in desperation of a larger hard disk. You
    should seriously invest in one!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 18, 2005
  5. In message news: on 17 Apr 2005, °Mike°
    said to all at 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > Do not delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder, but
    > you can delete the \SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.
    >
    > You desperately need a larger hard drive. For more cleanup
    > tips, see my signature.

    Excellent advice, both. I'm biding my time with my old machine until I
    really (and I mean *really*) have to get a new machine.

    Thanks for the note!

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Apr 19, 2005
  6. In message news: on 17 Apr
    2005, said to all at 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >|>This is a huge waste of my disk space if it is not needed. Also, is
    >|>there anything else I can clean out after this install that can
    >|>safely be removed?
    >
    > There's a directory call'd (IIRC) ServicePackFiles in the Windows
    > directory, it's close to 600megs.
    >
    > I deleted it right after I installed SP2 with no ill effects.

    Sweet! More savings for me. That really helped--thanks!

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Apr 19, 2005
  7. In message news: on 17 Apr 2005, JANA said
    to all at 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > Since you are running XP, you are in desperation of a larger hard
    > disk. You should seriously invest in one!

    Thanks--just isn't an option right now. Soon, it will be mine. ;-)

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Apr 19, 2005
  8. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Jonathan - See here: http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    Jim Byrd, Apr 19, 2005
  9. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Dr. Bill Guest

    Jonathan Wolgamuth wrote:
    > Can I delete the folder with the download information?
    >
    > C;\Windows\SoftwareDistribution?
    >
    > This is a huge waste of my disk space if it is not needed. Also, is
    > there anything else I can clean out after this install that can
    > safely be removed?

    When all your *hardware* is setup properly, feel free to delete the contents
    ( *NOT* the entire folder) of any or all of the following: *note* : the
    $uninstall----$ folders are used whenever you want to uninstall a windows
    update. I don't see any point in keeping them.
    c:\windows\$Uninstall----$\
    c:\windows\downloaded installations\
    c:\windows\driver cache\i386\
    c:\windows\help\tours
    c:\windows\installer\
    c:\windows\java
    c:\windows\lastgood\
    c:\windows\media\ ( or clean out media items you don't need)
    c:\windows\msagent\
    c:\windows\mui ( if you use more then one language, you need this)
    c:\windows\registeredpackages\
    c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\
    c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\downloads
    c:\windows\system32\dllcache\
    c:\windows\system32\oobe
    c:\windows\system32\reinstallbackups\
    c:\windows\system32\restore\
    c:\windows\system32\usmt\
    c:\program files\com+\
    c:\program files\com+ applications\
    c:\program files\messenger\
    c:\program files\microsoft frontpage\
    c:\program files\movie maker\
    c:\program files\msn\
    c:\program files\msn gaming zone\
    c:\program files\netmeeting\
    c:\program files\online services\
    c:\program files\windows media player\installer\
    c:\program files\windows media player\skins\
    c:\program files\windowsnt\
    Now, open your start menu and go to the Accessories folder. Go down this
    list, right clicking on every item that you wish to remove, choose
    Properties, and click the Find Target button. delete the file, then click
    Cancel on the Properties page and delete the link/shortcut.
    Repeat as necessary.
    HTH.

    Dr. Bill, Apr 19, 2005
  10. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    °Mike° Guest

    In <Xns963CD8C0314Fjonwolgamuthinboxnet@204.127.199.17>,
    Jonathan Wolgamuth took 20 lines to utter:

    >In message news: on 17 Apr 2005, °Mike°
    >said to all at 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    >> Do not delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder, but
    >> you can delete the \SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.
    >>
    >> You desperately need a larger hard drive. For more cleanup
    >> tips, see my signature.

    >Excellent advice, both. I'm biding my time with my old machine until I
    >really (and I mean *really*) have to get a new machine.
    >
    >Thanks for the note!

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 19, 2005
  11. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Hannis Guest

    I've read this NG and would like to ask a question about this subject:
    Is it all right if I move the entire folder (c:\windows\software
    distribution) to my drive D (non-system partition)?
    My software distribution folder is 1.3 GB.

    --
    Hannis

    Hannis, Apr 20, 2005
  12. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Dr. Bill Guest

    Jonathan Wolgamuth wrote:
    > Can I delete the folder with the download information?
    >
    > C;\Windows\SoftwareDistribution?
    >
    > This is a huge waste of my disk space if it is not needed. Also, is
    > there anything else I can clean out after this install that can
    > safely be removed?
    >
    > I have a 6 gig hard drive.

    Correction on my earlier advise:
    c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\
    *Do* *not* delete the contents of this one.
    Follow the thread in case you want to know why.
    Dr. Bill, Apr 20, 2005
  13. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:19:19 +0200, "Dr. Bill"
    <> wrote:

    |>Jonathan Wolgamuth wrote:
    |>> Can I delete the folder with the download information?
    |>>
    |>> C;\Windows\SoftwareDistribution?
    |>>
    |>> This is a huge waste of my disk space if it is not needed. Also, is
    |>> there anything else I can clean out after this install that can
    |>> safely be removed?

    |>> I have a 6 gig hard drive.

    |>Correction on my earlier advise:
    |>c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\
    |>*Do* *not* delete the contents of this one.
    |>Follow the thread in case you want to know why.

    The folder takes up a lot of space, if your not comfortable with
    deleting it (and a search will advise against it) you can just move it
    to a CD and edit your registry to reflect the change.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    Double click ServicePackSourcePath change it to your cd.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q271484

    Then store the CD, it will be ask'd for when needed.

    --
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600
    , Apr 20, 2005