    they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

    Thanks

    Dave
    Dave S, Mar 19, 2007

  2. Dave S

    cgiorgio Guest

    Use cotton swabs wetted in de-ionized water (for car battery) when the salt
    has dissolved, there is no risk of scratching. Most antireflective lens
    coatings are harder than NaCl aniway, but just to be sure do not rub before
    it is dissolved.

    cgiorgio, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Dave S

    John Smith Guest

    <Dave S> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
    > the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
    > thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
    > abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
    > soft cloth ?
    >
    > On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
    > lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
    > acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
    >
    > Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    > they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    Wow, few things worse for a camera than salt... I'd get it off ASAP.

    DP
    John Smith, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Dave S wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
    > the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
    > thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
    > abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
    > soft cloth ?
    >
    > On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
    > lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
    > acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
    >
    > Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    > they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    Damp, not wet soft clean cloth with water, nothing else. In most areas
    tap water is fine.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Dave S

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 19, 10:20 am, Dave S <Dave S> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
    > the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
    > thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
    > abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
    > soft cloth ?
    >
    > On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
    > lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
    > acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
    >
    > Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    > they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    NEVER clean ANY lens with a dry tissue.
    Rich, Mar 19, 2007
  6. Dave S

    Mike Russell Guest

    <Dave S> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
    > the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen

    My experience with a Kodak Lenspen is not very encouraging. After a bit of
    use it started to leave a deposit, not what I want when cleaning a lens!

    > but I have
    > thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
    > abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
    > soft cloth ?

    Water is better. Buy some gauze. Lens cleaning solution is somewhat more
    effective than water, which tends to bead up, and may contain impurities
    that will leave you where you started.

    > On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
    > lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
    > acidic and can damage the lens coatings.

    Not likely, though it doesn't hurt to be paranoid about screwing up your
    lens. I've very occasionally seen optics damaged this way, for high traffic
    optics like binoculars, etc.

    > Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    > they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

    Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
    than later.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    Mike Russell, Mar 19, 2007
  7. Dave S

    John Smith Guest

    "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message
    > <Dave S> wrote in message
    >> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    >> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

    > Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
    > than later.
    > --
    > Mike Russell
    > www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Humm, have you ever bought a used car from someone who lives near the beach?

    DP
    John Smith, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Dave S

    JohnR66 Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message
    >> <Dave S> wrote in message
    >>> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    >>> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

    >> Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
    >> than later.
    >> --
    >> Mike Russell
    >> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    > Humm, have you ever bought a used car from someone who lives near the
    > beach?
    >
    > DP

    Corrosivness depends on the material being acted upon. Salt corrodes (rusts)
    iron due in part to iron's electrical conductivity.
    No such issues with a lens.
    John
    JohnR66, Mar 19, 2007
  9. Dave S

    Scott W Guest

    On Mar 19, 4:20 am, Dave S <Dave S> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
    > the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
    > thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
    > abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
    > soft cloth ?
    >
    > On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
    > lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
    > acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
    >
    > Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    > they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    I get a lot of salt spray on my lenses, I just use a clean dry lens
    cloth to wipe them off.
    When the spray is bad I might have to so this every 10 minutes or so.
    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/54206534/original
    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/75904021/original

    There are times when the air is just filled with salt spray, so far it
    has not been a problem
    for either the lenses or the cameras.

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 19, 2007
  10. Dave S

    King Sardon Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:36:26 -0400, "John Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message
    >> <Dave S> wrote in message
    >>> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    >>> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

    >> Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
    >> than later.
    >> --
    >> Mike Russell
    >> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    >Humm, have you ever bought a used car from someone who lives near the beach?

    Those cars would not rust if they were made of optical glass.

    Scaremongers will tell you that Coca Cola will completely dissolve a
    spoon that is left in it in only a couple of days. Not such a good
    comparison to your stomach, though, is it?

    Still, I might be a bit worried about a camera that has salt spray on
    it no matter where it is, and clean any traces of deposits by
    carefully dabbing with a small slightly damp cloth.

    KS
    King Sardon, Mar 19, 2007
  11. Dave S

    Colin_D Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message
    >>> <Dave S> wrote in message
    >>> Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
    >>> than later.
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Russell
    >>> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    >> Humm, have you ever bought a used car from someone who lives near the
    >> beach?
    >>
    >> DP

    > Corrosivness depends on the material being acted upon. Salt corrodes (rusts)
    > iron due in part to iron's electrical conductivity.
    > No such issues with a lens.
    > John

    One can't be sure about the lens coating material though. Only wants a
    little dampness, and a chemical reaction could take place on a
    replacement series basis to render an irremovable spot on the lens.

    This is a situation where a UV filter is mandatory on a lens.

    Colin D.

    Colin_D, Mar 20, 2007
  12. Dave S

    Scott W Guest

    On Mar 19, 5:45 pm, THO <.23.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Dave S <Dave S> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello

    > > I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
    > > the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
    > > thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
    > > abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
    > > soft cloth ?

    > > On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
    > > lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
    > > acidic and can damage the lens coatings.

    > > Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    > > they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

    > > Thanks

    > > Dave

    > The spots are on your UV or skylight filter you use to protect your
    > front lens, correct?

    I used to use a UV filter in front of my lenses but then noticed that
    the UV filter always looked fine
    even after a lot of salt was on it. So I figure the lenses will
    likely hold up fine, and to date they have.

    I don't give other people a hard time if they feel the need to use a
    filter to protect their lenses, but
    I also don't believe that it is really needed in most cases.

    For that matter is salt water was really that bad for coated lenses my
    glasses would be trash
    by now since they get far more exposure to salt spray then my lenses
    do.

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 20, 2007
  13. Dave S

    THO Guest

    THO, Mar 20, 2007
  14. In article <>,
    Dave S <Dave S> wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
    > the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
    > thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
    > abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
    > soft cloth ?
    >
    > On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
    > lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
    > acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
    >
    > Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
    > they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    Salt is soft but it will ruin your Lens Pen for sure. It will probably
    feed lens-eating mold if you don't clean it off soon.

    If the front of the lens is sealed, you can roll around a drop of
    purified water then fling it off. After a few times, the lens will be
    clean enough that the water doesn't stick.

    If it's not sealed, use a clean and damp tissue to remove the salt
    followed by the Lens Pen brush to remove lint.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 20, 2007
  15. Dave S

    John Smith Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > For that matter is salt water was really that bad for coated lenses my
    > glasses would be trash
    > by now since they get far more exposure to salt spray then my lenses
    > do.
    >
    > Scott

    Do you know what brand Anti/Reflect coating you have on your eyeglasses?
    I've had a lot of trouble with mine going south in as little as six months,
    and that's using lens tissue made expressly for that purpose.
    I'd sure like to find something more durable.

    DP
    John Smith, Mar 20, 2007
  16. Dave S

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Use cotton swabs wetted in de-ionized water (for car battery) when the
    > salt has dissolved, there is no risk of scratching. Most antireflective
    > lens coatings are harder than NaCl aniway, but just to be sure do not rub
    > before it is dissolved.

    Sea-salt isn't NaCl, but predominantly calcium chloride. It, and several
    other ionic combinations you'll get, simply won't disolve to any significant
    extent in a neutral or basic environment - it takes an acid to break them
    apart.

    The good news is that vinegar - especially if warmed up - will dissolve
    them quite well. I googled quickly to see if vinegar would harm the
    coatings, and seemed to see indications both ways - hopefully someone with
    more definitive knowledge will chime in.

    I use a UV filter over my lens when I'm in a messy environment - not so
    much to protect the lens, but because if it gets REALLY dirty or goopy
    (which it sometimes does), I can just unscrew it and run it under the
    faucet, with a bit of dish soap if needed. Then I have to finish it with a
    real lens cleaner, but that's MASSIVELY faster than trying to get off loads
    of crap with just the lens cleaner.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Mar 20, 2007
  17. Dave S

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Sea-salt isn't NaCl, but predominantly calcium chloride.

    Sorry, it's too late for me not to re-check my posts. It's the calcium
    carbonate which isn't going to disolve without an acid. In any event, I've
    never had sea-salt disolve completely in just water - water in some areas
    may be acidic enough to disolve it, mine certainly isn't.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Mar 20, 2007
  18. Dave S

    Joe Petolino Guest

    Steve Wolfe wrote:
    > Sea-salt isn't NaCl, but predominantly calcium chloride.

    Here's what I get when I Google for "seawater composition":

    http://www.biosbcc.net/ocean/marinesci/02ocean/swcomposition.htm

    They claim that there's 30 times as much sodium as calcium.

    > It, and several
    > other ionic combinations you'll get, simply won't disolve to any significant
    > extent in a neutral or basic environment - it takes an acid to break them
    > apart.

    The same page gives the pH of seawater as 7.5 to 8.5, i.e. slightly basic.

    Maybe you're referring to precipitates that settle out after seawater
    has reacted with CO2 from the air?

    -Joe
    Joe Petolino, Mar 20, 2007
  19. Dave S

    Scott W Guest

    On Mar 19, 7:17 pm, "John Smith" <> wrote:
    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message

    > > For that matter is salt water was really that bad for coated lenses my
    > > glasses would be trash
    > > by now since they get far more exposure to salt spray then my lenses
    > > do.

    > > Scott

    > Do you know what brand Anti/Reflect coating you have on your eyeglasses?
    > I've had a lot of trouble with mine going south in as little as six months,
    > and that's using lens tissue made expressly for that purpose.
    > I'd sure like to find something more durable.

    I am not sure who did the coating, but I have real glass lenses in
    them.
    Plastic is very hard to coat and the coating tends to fall off. Are
    you
    glasses made from glass or plastic?

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 20, 2007
  20. Dave S

    Scott W Guest

    On Mar 19, 8:09 pm, "Steve Wolfe" <> wrote:
    > > Use cotton swabs wetted in de-ionized water (for car battery) when the
    > > salt has dissolved, there is no risk of scratching. Most antireflective
    > > lens coatings are harder than NaCl aniway, but just to be sure do not rub
    > > before it is dissolved.

    > Sea-salt isn't NaCl, but predominantly calcium chloride. It, and several
    > other ionic combinations you'll get, simply won't disolve to any significant
    > extent in a neutral or basic environment - it takes an acid to break them
    > apart.

    In fact sea salt is NaCl, taste good too. Threre are some other trace
    elements but they
    are much lower then good old NaCl.

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 20, 2007