    Digital ICE can have a softening effect on the image. But, using the
    lightest setting will not remove the worst cases of dirt.

    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    sameer, Sep 13, 2003

  2. sameer

    FOR7b Guest

    >What is a good way to clean/wash processed color negative film strips
    >as a prep to scanning the film? I was thinking of bathing the film
    >strips in a dish of "Rexon Anti-Static Film Cleaner" and lightly
    >rubbing them with a soft sponge. Then, squee-geeing them dry before
    >inserting them into the film scanner. Any dangers to this? Any better
    >recommendations?
    >
    >I don't want to spend too much time on the cleaning (the scanning
    >takes long enough). The object is to remove major stuck-on dirt. The
    >scanner user "Digital ICE" technology to remove surface defects.
    >However, I like to use it on its lightest setting because using
    >Digital ICE can have a softening effect on the image. But, using the
    >lightest setting will not remove the worst cases of dirt.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    With my Canoscan FS4000, which also removes dust I just use a film cleaner or
    typically 90%+ rubbing alcohol, the later being much cheaper but effective for
    most situations. The scanner gets pratically everything left assuming the film
    itself is not badly damaged. Even in a black sky when using negatives I will
    maybe end up with a few tiny white specs left behind that are easily removed
    in seconds as compared to many hours with my previous scanner.

    I'd also be very careful about rubbing to hard to get "major stuck-on dirt."

    FOR7b, Sep 13, 2003

  3. sameer

    HRosita Guest

    > wrote:

    >What is a good way to clean/wash processed color negative film strips
    >as a prep to scanning the film?

    Hi,

    Here is a quote from a Kodak pamphlet:

    "You can remove most surface fungus from negatives and slides by gently wiping
    them with a Kodak Photo Chamois, a soft plush pad, or absorbent cotton
    moistened with film cleaner. Do not use water or solutions that contain water.
    Air dry the film."

    I use a liquid cleaner called Edwal anty Stat Film Cleaner from:
    Falcon Safety Products, Branchburg, NJ 08876.

    I bought it at a good film and camera lab/store a while back and it lasts
    forever.

    Good Luck, hope this helps

    Rosita

    HRosita, Sep 13, 2003