    I be cleaning the black roller at the bottom.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts, solutions, etc...
    Gnomeo

    Gnomeo, Mar 16, 2011

  2. Gnomeo

    Kele Guest

    I've had the same HP printer for many years and occasionally it takes up
    more than one sheet... especially when only a couple sheets remain. I've
    never cleaned the paper feed guides or rollers. I don't have the issue
    where it doesn't take up any sheets, however, unless I haven't fully
    inserted the paper. I have found that some brands of paper do stick to each
    other more often than others. I also, when loading paper, try to separate
    the sheets by bending the stack and then re-squaring. Humidity variations
    may also be a factor. Try to stack more or less paper to see if that helps.
    Try also flipping the stack as sometimes one side of the paper is rougher
    than the other. Check that there's nothing keeping the paper or tray from
    fully seating. Your paper take-up mechanism may be worn/broke... does it
    sound different?

    Alcohol isn't the best cleaner for rubber... it dries out the rubber. Got
    any tape deck pinch roller cleaner? If not, water damp swab firmly.

    On-line finding about Canon printer(s), your same issue: See if you can
    slightly tighten the springs. Some people take them out, cut them and
    re-install to improve their force as in the following:

    Step by Step Instructions
    You need only an ordinary screwdriver and pliers to cut the springs.

    1.. Remove the paper and the two cables from the printer and turn it
    around, so you can look into the paper tray.
    2.. Push the extendable paper holder in, so it's out of the way.
    3.. Use your thumb to bend the inner paper guide forcefully forward and to
    the left, until it bends enough to slip out of the right bearing hole.
    4.. Then pull it to the right to take it out of the left bearing hole as
    well. It should now move forward a little and allow you to see the two
    springs.
    5.. To make even more room to work on the springs, reach for one of the
    rubber rollers and turn it down (i.e. rotate the roller downward), until the
    mechanism opens the gap fully.
    6.. Use the screwdriver and one finger to shift the springs out of the
    lower hole and push them onto the conical rest on the inner paper guide you
    have just loosened, then pull them out. Don't use so much force that you
    bend them permanently.
    7.. Remember the lenght, then stretch both springs and let go again, until
    they are about one inch, no more, longer than they were. Repeat the
    stretching and increase the force until you have stretched them enough. This
    is actually not all that important, so don't overdo it.
    8.. Take one spring and turn it such that you can cut at the exact middle
    of the spring. Cut the spring in half. Repeat with the other spring.
    9.. Roll two fragments into one, so you get two shorter, but double
    springs.
    10.. Use your finger and perhaps the screwdriver to push each double
    spring onto the conical spring guide on the loose paper guide, then maneuver
    the lower end of each spring into the hole on the lower side, so the springs
    are in place again.
    11.. Push on the loose paper guide from above to check that the springs
    are properly seated and move correctly.
    12.. Push the loose paper guide into its bearing holes again, first left,
    then right. For the right side you have to bend it again strongly, so you
    can get the paper guide back into place.
    13.. Before you test the printer, switch it on once without paper, so the
    rollers move back into their normal parking position.
    14.. Put the paper back in and test the printer. Enjoy!

    -------------
    "Gnomeo" <> wrote:
    I have a Canon mp140 muti task scanner printer.
    It has been workingwell up until recently when at first it took several
    A4 sheets to print one but now it wouldn't feed the paper into the unit
    to print on. I presume I have dirty load rollers.,
    After lifting the lid where the cartidges go I see I have 4 white nylon
    roller on top and a chrome roller covered with black stuff on the
    bottom. The nylon rollers are shiney on part of it and looks like a
    scale on the other parts.
    I have tried cleaning the nylon with warm water and even a bit of
    isopropal but so far no luck.
    Any ideas what to use to clean or am I cleaning the wrong roller? Should

    Kele, Mar 16, 2011