    Canon printers?

    TIA

    Jean

    jean, Jan 6, 2005

  2. jean wrote:
    > My I950 performed quite well until a few weeks ago when it started to miss
    > some lines. I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
    > distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are a
    > few still not firing.
    >
    > What would be the best method of cleaning the heads? Is this common with
    > Canon printers?

    Are you sure the heads are aligned properly? Go to Printers, Properties,
    Maintenance and do the alignment procedure. It would at least tell you
    if there is a pattern that is smooth and line free.

    Sorry if you're way ahead of me.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 6, 2005

  3. >>I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
    >>distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are a
    >>few still not firing.

    If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a consumer
    replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price of
    around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try Gary's
    alignment suggestions first.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jan 6, 2005
  4. jean

    jean Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > jean wrote:
    > > My I950 performed quite well until a few weeks ago when it started to

    miss
    > > some lines. I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
    > > distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are

    > > few still not firing.
    > >
    > > What would be the best method of cleaning the heads? Is this common

    with
    > > Canon printers?

    > Are you sure the heads are aligned properly? Go to Printers, Properties,
    > Maintenance and do the alignment procedure. It would at least tell you
    > if there is a pattern that is smooth and line free.

    Yes, checked that everytime I removed and replaced the head.

    Jean

    jean, Jan 6, 2005
  5. jean

    jean Guest

    "Keith Sheppard" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > >>I tried many cleaning cycles and even dunked the head in
    > >>distilled water overnight but when I do the check nozzle test, there are

    > >>few still not firing.

    > If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a consumer
    > replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price of
    > around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try Gary's
    > alignment suggestions first.

    I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99 while a
    print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print head
    went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less than a
    new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going bad, I
    may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact the
    Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that long,
    then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

    Jean

    jean, Jan 6, 2005
  6. jean

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "jean" <> wrote in message

    > "Keith Sheppard" <> a écrit dans le message de

    are

    > > If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a consumer
    > > replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price

    of
    > > around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try Gary's
    > > alignment suggestions first.

    > I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99 while a
    > print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print head
    > went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less than a
    > new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going bad, I
    > may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact the
    > Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that

    long,
    > then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

    Just went thru the same thing with my friend's i950. Cleaning in distilled
    water, the only practical solution, only made things worse. A new printhead
    is $85; a new i950 or i960 is only slightly more expensive, about $125-150,
    and you get 6 new ink cartridges to boot.

    I can't complain, however, because over the past couple of years, the
    savings
    we've achieved due to the separate ink tanks more than made up for the
    price of a new printhead. But since my friend's photo printing requirements
    have become more critical, we're going with a new i9900 instead. Eventually,
    I'll get a new printhead if I can find one more cheaply on Ebay. As for the
    new i9900, we're also getting an extended 3-yr warranty from Canon for $135,
    essentially pre-paying for the printhead that will eventually need
    replacement
    on this one, too.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Jan 6, 2005
  7. jean

    measekite Guest

    Have you ever used non Canon brand of inks?

    measekite, Jan 6, 2005
  8. jean

    jean Guest

    Of course, the colors printed fine however I never could get the blacks to
    print correctly so I buy Canon black cartriges, guess what I have one black
    nozzle which does not work as well as a couple of magenta the others are OK.
    It takes a single non working nozzle to ruin a print.

    Jean

    jean, Jan 7, 2005
  9. jean

    jean Guest

    "Bob Bailin" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > "jean" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Keith Sheppard" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > are
    > > >
    > > > If all else fails, remember that print heads on the Canon are a

    consumer
    > > > replaceable item. They are quite expensive. I seem to recall a price

    > of
    > > > around 80 British pounds here in the UK last time I looked. Try

    Gary's
    > > > alignment suggestions first.

    > > I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99 while

    > > print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print head
    > > went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less than

    > > new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going bad,

    > > may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact the
    > > Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that

    > long,
    > > then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

    > Just went thru the same thing with my friend's i950. Cleaning in distilled
    > water, the only practical solution, only made things worse. A new

    printhead
    > is $85; a new i950 or i960 is only slightly more expensive, about

    $125-150,
    > and you get 6 new ink cartridges to boot.
    >
    > I can't complain, however, because over the past couple of years, the
    > savings
    > we've achieved due to the separate ink tanks more than made up for the
    > price of a new printhead. But since my friend's photo printing

    requirements
    > have become more critical, we're going with a new i9900 instead.

    Eventually,
    > I'll get a new printhead if I can find one more cheaply on Ebay. As for

    the
    > new i9900, we're also getting an extended 3-yr warranty from Canon for

    $135,
    > essentially pre-paying for the printhead that will eventually need
    > replacement
    > on this one, too.

    The extended warranty I was offered on my i950 did not cover the heads
    otherwise I would have taken it.

    Jean

    jean, Jan 7, 2005
  10. Second attempt to send. Apologies if you get it twice...

    Keith Sheppard, Jan 7, 2005
  11. jean

    Guest

    jean wrote:

    > After two heads going bad, I
    >may just go and get something else like an Epson

    don't bother, I have a Stylus Color 900 I am ready to throw in the trash.
    I cannot get this verdampt thing to clean at all and this following its
    instructions and cleaning its wiping foam pad, etc.

    I have an HP 7550 photosmart which prints beautiful pictures at least as good as
    a friend's Epson 2200 (I cannot tell the diff) and it has been sitting idle for
    the two years I have been using the Canon (unwrapped both at the same time and
    set them on separate shelves above my LCD monitor) but never used it.

    I am really tickled with it but it is showing some signs of skipping too.
    This is why I am waiting for fall 2006 or earlier for color lasers to drop in
    price and rise in quality of output. once I can get a picture as good as my
    7550 prints at 8x10 and costs ~$500, I am gone from inkjets.

    fwiw
    chas

    , Jan 7, 2005
  12. jean

    jean Guest

    Well, I am going cheap, I bought an Epson R200 for $140 - $40 mail-in
    rebate. It has 6 colors so it should do OK for proofs (I have not set it up
    yet). Any pictures I wat printer for keeps from now on will be done at the
    photolab, with all the money I have spent on printers which crapped out, my
    prints from the photolab would have ended up much cheaper. It's probably
    even cheaper to watch for sales and buy a new printer instead of buying new
    cartriges when they run out.

    The only good thing about the HPs (and Lexmark) is that the heads come with
    the cartriges which are impossible to refill I have been told.

    Jean

    jean, Jan 8, 2005
  13. jean

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "jean" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob Bailin" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > >
    > > "jean" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Keith Sheppard" <> a écrit dans le message de

    there
    > > are

    > consumer

    price
    > > of

    > Gary's
    > > >
    > > > I know, I missed the post christmas sales for a new printer at $99

    while
    > > > print head is way more expensive than that. My old BJC8200's print

    head
    > > > went bad, replacement cost of the head was only a few dollars less

    than
    > > > new printer, that is why I bought the i950. After two heads going

    bad,
    > > > may just go and get something else like an Epson. I liked the fact

    the
    > > > Canon printers had separate ink tanks but if the heads don't last that

    > > long,
    > > > then it's a bad criteria for choosing a printer.

    > > Just went thru the same thing with my friend's i950. Cleaning in

    distilled
    > > water, the only practical solution, only made things worse. A new

    > printhead
    > > is $85; a new i950 or i960 is only slightly more expensive, about

    > $125-150,
    > > and you get 6 new ink cartridges to boot.
    > >
    > > I can't complain, however, because over the past couple of years, the
    > > savings
    > > we've achieved due to the separate ink tanks more than made up for the
    > > price of a new printhead. But since my friend's photo printing

    > requirements
    > > have become more critical, we're going with a new i9900 instead.

    > Eventually,
    > > I'll get a new printhead if I can find one more cheaply on Ebay. As for

    > the
    > > new i9900, we're also getting an extended 3-yr warranty from Canon for

    > $135,
    > > essentially pre-paying for the printhead that will eventually need
    > > replacement
    > > on this one, too.

    > The extended warranty I was offered on my i950 did not cover the heads
    > otherwise I would have taken it.
    >
    > Jean

    Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't bother to read the fine print of
    the
    warranty agreement, so I didn't see the clause that considers the printhead
    to be a non-covered, consumable item (even if it is 25% of the cost of the
    entire printer!).

    Fortunately, there's a 30-day cancellation option that I'll probably use.
    Other than the printhead, nothing ever went amiss with the i950, and I
    expect the i9900 to act the same.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Jan 8, 2005
  14. jean

    Ron Hunter Guest

    jean wrote:
    > Well, I am going cheap, I bought an Epson R200 for $140 - $40 mail-in
    > rebate. It has 6 colors so it should do OK for proofs (I have not set it up
    > yet). Any pictures I wat printer for keeps from now on will be done at the
    > photolab, with all the money I have spent on printers which crapped out, my
    > prints from the photolab would have ended up much cheaper. It's probably
    > even cheaper to watch for sales and buy a new printer instead of buying new
    > cartriges when they run out.
    >
    > The only good thing about the HPs (and Lexmark) is that the heads come with
    > the cartriges which are impossible to refill I have been told.
    >
    > Jean
    >
    > <> a écrit dans le message de
    >
    >>jean wrote

    Don't know about 'impossible to refill', but my attempts a few years ago
    to refill HP cartridges (something a friend has done for years) were met
    with less than 50% success rate, and abandoned as a bad cause.
    Fortunately, I don't print a lot, so the cost of cartridges is an annual
    cost, and I buy at Sam's Wholesale Club, and my wife has a printer that
    uses the same cartridge set as mine. Last time I needed cartridges, I
    just bought a referbed printer, with carts. for less than the price of
    two carts. My 'christmas printer' came with 'starter cartridges', which
    will probably last me 6 months. At this level of usage, refilling just
    doesn't make sense, even if possible.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 8, 2005
  15. Bob Bailin wrote:

    > Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't bother to read the fine print of
    > the
    > warranty agreement, so I didn't see the clause that considers the printhead
    > to be a non-covered, consumable item (even if it is 25% of the cost of the
    > entire printer!).
    >
    > Fortunately, there's a 30-day cancellation option that I'll probably use.
    > Other than the printhead, nothing ever went amiss with the i950, and I
    > expect the i9900 to act the same.

    I got a no-questions-asked walk-in warranty when I bought my i950. The
    question of the cause of the problem would not even come up at the
    returns counter. But I haven't had to use it yet, because any banding I
    have seen in my prints was able to be corrected with nozzle checks,
    cleaning, and head alignment.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 8, 2005