    Thank you,
    Joe

    , Aug 21, 2005

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hello,
    |>I am running Windows XP Pro and I'm still new with this OS. Can someone tell
    |>me how to go about finding the list of everything that is currently running
    |>in the background so I can stop some of them from continuing to run, thus,
    |>hopefully, speed up my laptop a bit? I knew how to do this with W98SE but
    |>don't know how to do it with this OS.

    You can do this with Taskmanager (Right click on the menu bar)

    But I suggest Process Explorer (taskmanager replacement)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    Cause your going to want to know what the process does, a right click
    on the process will google it for you.
    --

    , Aug 21, 2005

  3. MrGrumpy Guest

    "I'm still new with this OS"
    Dont even go there, you'll finish with a none functioning system

    Try msconfig, allthough when you install an app if you dont want it to run
    on start up you should configure it accordingly

    MrGrumpy, Aug 22, 2005
  4. "MrGrumpy" <> wrote in

    > when you install an app if you dont want
    > it to run on start up you should configure it accordingly

    Not always easy to do with poorly written programs.
    -max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

    What's in a Name?, Aug 22, 2005
  5. NunyaBizness Guest

    Do a 3 Finger Salute : Ctl-Alt-Del and it will bring up Task Manager
    and then click on the 'Processes' tab
    ..
    This will show everything running and how much resources it is using.
    Just high light the ones don't want running and

    --
    I hope......

    You have a G....R....E....A....T Day!!!

    Respecfully Submitted
    MinoSpring Enterprises

    NunyaBizness, Aug 22, 2005
  6. tutsi Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:40:17 GMT, wrote:

    From the start button click start / click run in the box type
    ....msconfig click ok click startup and uncheck what you dont
    need................note explorer and sys tray must run at all times.

    tutsi, Aug 22, 2005
  7. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I am running Windows XP Pro and I'm still new with this OS. Can someone tell
    > me how to go about finding the list of everything that is currently running
    > in the background so I can stop some of them from continuing to run, thus,
    > hopefully, speed up my laptop a bit? I knew how to do this with W98SE but
    > don't know how to do it with this OS.

    First step is to run the programs you have in the taskbar and set them
    NOT to load up when windows boots.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 22, 2005
  8. dwåcôñ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am running Windows XP Pro and I'm still new with this OS. Can someone
    > tell
    > me how to go about finding the list of everything that is currently
    > running
    > in the background so I can stop some of them from continuing to run, thus,
    > hopefully, speed up my laptop a bit? I knew how to do this with W98SE but
    > don't know how to do it with this OS.

    Try task manager -- but be careful, you kill the wrong process and ye auld
    bleu screen might appeareth.

    --
    These ain't Mentos... but they'll freshen your breath!
    http://tinyurl.com/cr5ka

    dwåcôñ, Aug 23, 2005
  9. ellis_jay Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am running Windows XP Pro and I'm still new with this OS. Can
    > someone tell
    > me how to go about finding the list of everything that is currently
    > running
    > in the background so I can stop some of them from continuing to run,
    > thus, hopefully, speed up my laptop a bit? I knew how to do this with
    > W98SE but
    > don't know how to do it with this OS.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Joe

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/allprocesses/

    http://www.processlibrary.com/

    http://www.x-raypc.com/

    www.winpatrol.com

    http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm

    http://www.worldstart.com/tips/search.php

    http://www.jiffcom.com/tasklist/task_lista.htm

    http://www.jiffcom.com/tasklist/task_list_dir.htm

    I posted the above to another group but I will post it here for you, also.

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Aug 25, 2005